Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Plasma TVs

Search this Thread

Old 11 September 2007, 12:40 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plasma TVs

I had to visit Curry's yesterday to look for a DVD recorder. I took a turn around the TV's to see what the performance was like.

As much as I hate to admit it, the LG 42" plasma that PSL bought was as he said-a significantly improved picture from all the others! Would not mind one myself although my Sony plasma has a very good quality picture.

Not a bad pixel to be seen either!

Les
Old 11 September 2007, 01:02 PM
exvaux
Scooby Regular

i just bought a panasonic one did look at the lg but wouldnt have went with my living room
Old 11 September 2007, 01:03 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Fcukin' 'ell!

Is he paying you to kiss his ****, or blackmailing you or something?

You only ever seem to pipe up in defence of the old git these days.

He bought an overpriced, poor quality Korean plasma and is now watching it slowly go wrong. Money well spent, I think not, but then we couldn't wish it on anyone else
Old 11 September 2007, 01:10 PM
p1mark
Scooby Regular

Location: In a 405 BHP/360 ft/lb P1 with SN superstar Sonic dog at my side!

I still have not found one that has the all round picture quality of my 50" pioneer despite me looking hard.

After 2 years i still have all my pixels and not one hint of screen burn anywhere.

I suppose you get what you pay for though eh Pete?
Old 11 September 2007, 01:20 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

I bought the viera and can recommend it , also a dvd player which takes sd cards and usb is quite good as well.
Old 11 September 2007, 04:07 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Would probably think twice about a plasma now after reading about the power consumption!!!

Apparently per square inch of screen they consume 3 x times as much power as CRT's!!
Old 11 September 2007, 04:37 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

It varies considerably from make to make. It is too much of a sweeping statement to say that. Some large CRTs will consume as much if not more than plasma or LCD screens
Old 11 September 2007, 05:12 PM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

Whatever you buy can I recommend the "buy online and collect in store" option.

We did that on Sunday with Comet and saved nearly £200 on the instore price for a TV. It only took 10 mins to order it online. 10 mins to store and £200 saved. Bargain!
Old 11 September 2007, 05:26 PM
_RIP_
BANNED

Just bought one of these. Personally I think you need to pay over 2K to get a half decent plasma

Panasonic Viera TH50PZ700B Plasma HD Ready Digital Television, 50 Inch - John Lewis
Old 11 September 2007, 07:22 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by _RIP_
Just bought one of these. Personally I think you need to pay over 2K to get a half decent plasma

Panasonic Viera TH50PZ700B Plasma HD Ready Digital Television, 50 Inch - John Lewis
So why buy a TV that can be had for £1750?
MultizoneAV.com
Old 11 September 2007, 08:55 PM
Rapid17
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
I had to visit Curry's yesterday to look for a DVD recorder. I took a turn around the TV's to see what the performance was like.

As much as I hate to admit it, the LG 42" plasma that PSL bought was as he said-a significantly improved picture from all the others! Would not mind one myself although my Sony plasma has a very good quality picture.

Not a bad pixel to be seen either!

Les
It's quite likely the Lg plasmas were being fed an HD picture while the other brands were SD. Iirc, my local Curry's were doing this last week when i paid a visit.

Geoff.
Old 11 September 2007, 09:18 PM
exvaux
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by _RIP_

yip thats the bad boy i got,dont think i paid that for it tho
Old 11 September 2007, 09:34 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Dracoro
MultizoneAV.com
The PZ700 & the PZ70 are different sets.
Old 11 September 2007, 10:40 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sti-04!!
The PZ700 & the PZ70 are different sets.
But as with the PX60 and PX600, they're the same panel and same electronics, you just pay more for the x00 over the x0 to get slightly better speakers and some SD card slots. As most plasma owners have AV amps and surround set-ups the speakers are irrelevant, making the SD card slots very expensive.
Old 11 September 2007, 10:41 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

and is that difference worth over £500?
Old 11 September 2007, 10:42 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by corradoboy
But as with the PX60 and PX600, they're the same panel and same electronics, you just pay more for the x00 over the x0 to get slightly better speakers and some SD card slots. As most plasma owners have AV amps and surround set-ups the speakers are irrelevant, making the SD card slots very expensive.
Are they both 1080p ?
Old 11 September 2007, 10:45 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Well the one I posted up does according to the ad/spec.
Old 11 September 2007, 10:52 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Hmm. ............... runs off to investigate
Old 11 September 2007, 11:06 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chris L
It varies considerably from make to make. It is too much of a sweeping statement to say that. Some large CRTs will consume as much if not more than plasma or LCD screens

Indeed, its barely 100watt difference between screen types. The amplifier spec for the audio makes a bigger difference in current consumption....especially when subwoofers come into play.

And who has a 3000watt 2 litre jug kettle filled to the brim for one cup of tea? Has their hot water thermostat wastefully set above 45degrees? Uses the 2000watt tumble dryer on a sunny day, leaves the kichen light with 4x50watt halogen bulbs switched on whilst in the lounge? Or the 300watts that your PC is currently sucking just by reading this very post.

Taken that lot into account the difference in power consumption between LCD and plasma is a drop in the ocean....You take your choice on what to buy based on the picture quality and performance, not because of some old granny's tale spread about saying they weigh two ton, need regassing every month ( ) and guzzles more electricity than a Virgin Pendolino carrying a full load of American tourists up the highlands.
Old 11 September 2007, 11:48 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Despite my faulty pixel ... the LG 42" sitting in my lounge blows away anything I have seen before, or since!!

The Picture Quality is light years ahead of the Panasonic Vieras ....... my eyes don't lie!!

Strangely, I was at my brothers house the other day - what did he have sitting in the corner?? Yep, the 42" LG ..... I commented that he hadn't told me that he had a new TV - well, he said, you don't want to admit that the LG has the best picture and you bought an LG!! (this is the brother who owns an Aston Martin DB7 Convertible!!! ... badge means EVERYTHING to him!!)
Old 12 September 2007, 07:13 AM
_RIP_
BANNED

Originally Posted by Dracoro
MultizoneAV.com
Ah, you've already been corrected

Anyway, I was fishing for l****, shhhh
Old 12 September 2007, 10:34 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
Despite my faulty pixel ... the LG 42" sitting in my lounge blows away anything I have seen before, or since!!

The Picture Quality is light years ahead of the Panasonic Vieras ....... my eyes don't lie!!
Interesting. I was comparing a LG side by side with a Viera the other day (using the same HD input source), and thought the Viera picture was light years ahead. Better definition, and definitely better colour reproduction...
Old 12 September 2007, 10:38 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

You don't need to spend anything like £2k to get a good plasma. I bought a 42" Panasonic PH9 (effectively a commercial panel) and feed it via an HDMI amp (only one connection needed). The picture quality is excellent and the amp handles the sound. It also has a very clean minimalist look as there are no speakers on the panel, etc. I'm sure the new version of my panel is about a grand or less.
Old 12 September 2007, 11:31 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
You don't need to spend anything like £2k to get a good plasma. I bought a 42" Panasonic PH9 (effectively a commercial panel) and feed it via an HDMI amp (only one connection needed). The picture quality is excellent and the amp handles the sound. It also has a very clean minimalist look as there are no speakers on the panel, etc. I'm sure the new version of my panel is about a grand or less.
Think I'll be going this route on my next screen, or get a projector. I just can't see the point in paying for a TV with a tuner, a gazillion inputs, weedy amplifier and tinny integrated speakers. When all of these features will never be used as it'll be fed from a Sky box, or HTPC and have a A/V amp for the audio....may as well just have a HDCP compatible monitor
Old 12 September 2007, 11:54 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Graz
Fcukin' 'ell!

Is he paying you to kiss his ****, or blackmailing you or something?

You only ever seem to pipe up in defence of the old git these days.

He bought an overpriced, poor quality Korean plasma and is now watching it slowly go wrong. Money well spent, I think not, but then we couldn't wish it on anyone else
I was so impressed by the graciousness of your comment demonstrating your innate good manners!

If nothing else I will at least remain honest enough to agree openly with anyone if they make what I think is a correct post.

It must have been an accurate observation since all the TV's had the same picture on them. It was the good contrast, sharpness and excellent colour which stood out.

Les
Old 12 September 2007, 12:16 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
I was so impressed by the graciousness of your comment demonstrating your innate good manners!

If nothing else I will at least remain honest enough to agree openly with anyone if they make what I think is a correct post.

It must have been an accurate observation since all the TV's had the same picture on them. It was the good contrast, sharpness and excellent colour which stood out.

Les
Maybe our eyes have matured Les??

These kiddies are so hung up on Badges/Labels and heresay that they do not trust their own eyes ......

The LG is, and remains, the best Plasma 42" you can buy today - if you want Outstanding Picture Quality.

If you want a badge - buy Panasonic or Pioneer.

Don't get me wrong - I have had a run-in with LG a few years ago over a Mobile phone and their terrible Customer Service Department ...... but, look at the TVs with your eyes wide open instead of wide shut and you will see that the LG blows the rest away ....
Old 12 September 2007, 12:19 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Just as an aside, A Currys showroom is probably the last place on earth where you want to be comparing picture quality.
Old 12 September 2007, 12:20 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
Just as an aside, A Currys showroom is probably the last place on earth where you want to be comparing picture quality.
When you are comparing it doesn't matter where you are - as long as all the contenders are operating under the same conditions
Old 12 September 2007, 01:30 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
If they are showing pictures from the same source, it seemed a reasonable comparison. I do know about the standard fiddles of course.

Les
Old 12 September 2007, 01:34 PM
Rapid17
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
Maybe our eyes have matured Les??

These kiddies are so hung up on Badges/Labels and heresay that they do not trust their own eyes ......

The LG is, and remains, the best Plasma 42" you can buy today - if you want Outstanding Picture Quality.

If you want a badge - buy Panasonic or Pioneer.

Don't get me wrong - I have had a run-in with LG a few years ago over a Mobile phone and their terrible Customer Service Department ...... but, look at the TVs with your eyes wide open instead of wide shut and you will see that the LG blows the rest away ....
Pete has spoken; end of debate.

Quick Reply: Plasma TVs