Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Street parking and driveway access - neighbours!

Search this Thread

Old 06 September 2007, 11:14 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Street parking and driveway access - neighbours!

We've started having issues again with the neighbours over parking and I really can't be doing with the hassle.

Am I right in saying that even if the driveway isn't constructed, people can not park where the entrance to the driveway has been built. The curb will be lowered so irrespective of whether the driveway is complete its still the front lawn for another 6 months they can't block access.

Is this right?
Old 06 September 2007, 11:14 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You might have to be a bit clearer...
Old 06 September 2007, 11:20 AM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

is there a drop kerb at present ?
if no, then its only consideration that they need to not block a "driveway"

once a drop kerb is in place,then they can still block it, but then their kunts and you can complain and have more clout behind ur grumblings.
Old 06 September 2007, 11:36 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you bothered because people are parked in front of your home?

if you dont have a driveway then i dont think you can do anything
Old 06 September 2007, 11:40 AM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

Ask the CAB
Yve
Old 06 September 2007, 11:57 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

If you put a piece of wood along the kerb where your drive is to make it a bit easier to drive over the kerb, it will be obvious to other drivers that you need access to the drive-it might help anyway.

Les
Old 06 September 2007, 11:58 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Sorry I wasn't too clear.

Its not that it bothers me its just we manage to keep our immediate neighours happy and we all make sure we leave enough space for each other. Happy times.

Its just we bought a new car and a couple of times we left our car outside houses further up. Now we are being punished for doing that by them parking outside ours but in such a way as to take up as much space as possible.

We have 2 cars right now which are daily drives. By christmas I will have a weekender that will live in the garage and we will need to get a driveway for our benefit and so we don't take up too much room for our neighbours.

We won't need the driveway proper until I buy the weekender but I thought if we have the curb dropped now (its not currently) in the councils eyes its become an entrance (even though the driveway isn't constructed). If the neighbours then continue to park in front of the dropped curb they are effectively blocking an entrance.
Old 06 September 2007, 12:00 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
We've started having issues again with the neighbours over parking and I really can't be doing with the hassle.

Am I right in saying that even if the driveway isn't constructed, people can not park where the entrance to the driveway has been built. The curb will be lowered so irrespective of whether the driveway is complete its still the front lawn for another 6 months they can't block access.

Is this right?
If the kerb is dropped then they can;t park there (well thay can, but you can theorheticakky have them removed, and good luck with that.....) if the kerb isn't dropped they can park across you even if you have a beautifully construced driveway.

Of course most people tend to obey dropped kerbs...
Old 06 September 2007, 12:01 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

only an idiot would park in front on other people's driveway without owner's consent lol

if that was my house .................

Last edited by bighead; 06 September 2007 at 12:10 PM.
Old 06 September 2007, 12:05 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant

Of course most people tend to obey dropped kerbs...
This is what I'm thinking. If we drop the curb I don't think they will continue to park across it. I don't think they want confrontation to go too far. They aren't the type of people to take a crap on the bonnet or anything
Old 06 September 2007, 12:08 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

LOL Is it only me that thinks this sounds a little petty, no offence Edd but if you dont have a drive, by putting a dropped kerb in early is a way of saying I dont want you parking here, theres no entrance to anything at the minute, regardless of a dropped kerb or not??? Is that right?
Old 06 September 2007, 12:08 PM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

But will they notice the dropped kerb if there is no driveway?

Incidentially prepare for the dropped kerb to cost more than the weekender!
Old 06 September 2007, 12:34 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chrisgr31
If his weekender is a Gallardo then I can't see that being possible.
Old 06 September 2007, 12:46 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
LOL Is it only me that thinks this sounds a little petty, no offence Edd but if you dont have a drive, by putting a dropped kerb in early is a way of saying I dont want you parking here, theres no entrance to anything at the minute, regardless of a dropped kerb or not??? Is that right?
I'd be liyng if I said "I don't know what you mean!"

It is petty but I've had a gutfull of it. We try our best to be fair to all and when we get petty behaviour directed towards us its hard not to do the same. Quite frankly - sod em!

Originally Posted by Chrisgr31
But will they notice the dropped kerb if there is no driveway?

I would give people the benefit of the doubt. Without the obvious square of tarmac or whatever it might be missed.

As for costs, its £75 or the council to approve it (seems quite a lot for ticking a box) I think about 4-500 to drop the pavement and about a 1K to tarmac it. Not doing walls and gates just yet. One house has in the street and it looks a bit pretentcious (sp) to me.

In all honesty the chap coming to size it up can do both the curb and the driveway but its down to cost. We need to driveway so the garage is free for the Lancia (how I'm supposed to get that after the driveway and car for the mrs I don't know - I'm supposed to be saving money not spending it)

Mate said a shovel and a couple of tons of gravel and he'll do it for me
Old 06 September 2007, 01:13 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Maybe you should paint some 'home made' parking restrictions on the road at the drop edge to your front garden...... "ED Lives Here - No Parking" ? failing that just let everything escalate till you're both arrested for fighting in the street
Old 06 September 2007, 01:20 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
failing that just let everything escalate till you're both arrested for fighting in the street
Again?
Old 06 September 2007, 01:39 PM
CupraDave
Scooby Regular

Dont get me started on neighbours and parking but mine is a story for another time

You say the entrance has already been constructed?

if it were me I would place a 2x4 or similar along the kerb to allow easier access over the kerb and even though it is still lawn I would start parking my car in the space where the drive will be, using the car daily and constantly coming and going would make it clear the entrance is in use, there for hopefully sending the message DO NOT PARK HERE you inconsiderate ****

Last edited by CupraDave; 06 September 2007 at 01:43 PM.
Old 06 September 2007, 01:57 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

No construction work yet. I just got pi55ed off last night and today have rung a builder to give us a quote on the lot. He's done a few in the street and all have been happy with the work.

Ours isn't the worst case. We've seen others in the street park opposite an entrance. The road is quite narrow and its been done purely to make it difficult for people to swing onto the driveway.

I plan to drop our curb as close to the immediate neighbours drop curb so at least from one direction both of us can access our driveways even if there is a car parked opposite.
Old 06 September 2007, 02:11 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Even with a driveway it's not utterly clear unless there are bylaws or covenants.

If there is a car in the driveway, do not obstruct access by parking there.
If there is no car in the driveway, I think, in theory they can park there.

Quite why someone would want to attract a situation where the second largest purchase in their lives is an immediately accessible object for fury to be vented upon is a little beyond me.

I kind of concur with Cuprajake. If you use the area as a driveway now, people will get used to the idea.

J.
Old 06 September 2007, 02:12 PM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

Yes it would reserve a space - our last neighbours used this tactic but only to then never use the drive and parrallel park anyway (narrow street so pulling out was difficult). However when they started driving into cars parked either side (and the neighbours felt they didn't have enough space for parallel parking) we moved.
Old 06 September 2007, 03:44 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Miniman
Yes it would reserve a space - our last neighbours used this tactic but only to then never use the drive and parrallel park anyway (narrow street so pulling out was difficult). However when they started driving into cars parked either side (and the neighbours felt they didn't have enough space for parallel parking) we moved.
This is what the immediate neighbour on the left is doing now. He is a foreign doctor and very rude. He doesn't use the driveway which continues to cause problems for us and the neighbours opposite, plus a few suspect him of bouncing off other cars.

We will ensure we have enough space on the drive for both daily driver cars. And if we still have issues, one car can jsut be left on the drive at all times.
Old 06 September 2007, 04:20 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you need a hobby.. Just ignore the childishness of your neighbours and keep your temper and let it fizzle out.. By parking outside your house as long as they are not blocking access to your drive way they are doing nothing wrong..
Old 06 September 2007, 04:31 PM
CupraDave
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by vindaloo
I kind of concur with Cuprajake.
Who's he?
Old 06 September 2007, 04:54 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

Drop kerbs don't mean anything.

My parents neighbour is a fireman and got the council to paint a white line in front of his driveway to try and stop people parking and blocking his driveway but it's only a "courtesy line" and doesnt really mean anything apart from being another visual deterent.
Old 06 September 2007, 04:57 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CupraDave
Who's he?
LOL, sorry mate.

Bit of a Blackadder moment....

The Witch-smeller episode.

J.
Old 06 September 2007, 06:26 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check with your local council for costs - my sis had her drop kerb done when she bought some spare land next to the house and built a drive/ garage.
She had to use an approved council builder who charged her £750 for the kerb (1/2 was probably for the back hander to the council pratt from the builder)
Old 06 September 2007, 07:31 PM
shaunywrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by robby
Check with your local council for costs - my sis had her drop kerb done when she bought some spare land next to the house and built a drive/ garage.
She had to use an approved council builder who charged her £750 for the kerb (1/2 was probably for the back hander to the council pratt from the builder)

Getting an approved council builder (or the even better the council themselves) is a good idea, in the past i've been led to believe, that if you do it yourself or an un-approved builder do's it for you, and someone trips or has any kind of accident on your drop kerb, you'll be selling your house to make the compensation payments!
Old 06 September 2007, 07:53 PM
Smiler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by [Davey]
Just ignore the childishness of your neighbours and keep your temper and let it fizzle out..
Indeed. We have a shared driveway... our family and friends of course can't use it but their daughters can They are of course forgetting that one day my children will be old enough to own cars... and guess where they will be parked

In answer to OP.... If you have no dropped kerb then anyone can park obstructing you.

If you have a dropped kerb then I can still park across it stopping you getting in and you can't do anything, but if I park across it stopping you getting out it's obstruction and the police can be called.
Old 06 September 2007, 08:08 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

If I saw a dropped curb and no drive way or access to a driveway / off road parking then I would park across it. If I see a dropped curb and a parking place off road then I stay clear.

A dropped curb and no access says to me that the previous owner had off road parking but the new owner doesnt want it anymore
Old 06 September 2007, 08:41 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Best just get the drive sorted now and worry about things afterwards IMO

we all hate parking, and its only going to get worse and more and more cars end up on the roads, 2/3 cars per house and nowhere to put them all.

when i moved out my parents house i specifically looked for an apartment with designated parking, because i knew things were just going to get worse and worse as time got on

in the 2/3 years i have been living here, i have noticed that the parking outside has went from just about empty to just about full.

if 2 people visit, the parking bays are full, i`m lucky in that i have had "words" with most people so my bay is clear all the time, but the rest of them do tend to have a bit of a "grab the first one" competition when they come home from work.

bloke who parks next to me has a nice mini cooper S, other side of my car is a wall and the only way in is to reverse into the space really (otherwise the drivers door wont open due to the wall

i park right over to my left, gives the mini cooper bloke that bit extra room on his right, we both fold our mirrors in and look out for each others doors

Quick Reply: Street parking and driveway access - neighbours!