Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Major bike crash

Search this Thread

Old 05 September 2007, 10:09 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major bike crash

I found this is the Bikes section but felt it could do with a bit more coverage in NSR (that and its dead in here at the mo)

www.2wheelsonline.com - HRC race kit, spares, tuning, dyno testing, motorcycle race preparation

Amazingly he was only bruised and feeling a bit sore afterwards
Old 05 September 2007, 10:13 AM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
I found this is the Bikes section but felt it could do with a bit more coverage in NSR (that and its dead in here at the mo)

www.2wheelsonline.com - HRC race kit, spares, tuning, dyno testing, motorcycle race preparation

it wouldnt have happened if he had ET sat on the front of his bike.
Old 05 September 2007, 10:16 AM
Odds on
Scooby Regular

Looks like he had time to s**t himself just before impact.
Old 05 September 2007, 10:20 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

would have been cool if he landed it
Old 05 September 2007, 10:22 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

sore nuts for a week or two as well
Old 05 September 2007, 10:30 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Serves the power ranger wannabe right Seriously though he is lucky to come out of that with only scratches and bruises
Old 05 September 2007, 10:32 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Bikes are nasty things. Still nursing a broken rib after my last incident a month ago
Old 05 September 2007, 10:32 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

I sent the link on to a few mates with the title "I didnt know Power Rangers could fly"...
I wouldnt have done it had the dude have been badly injured though. The miracle here is that he was "ok"...
My uncle had a similar accident on a public road a few years ago and is now held together by bits of metal
Old 05 September 2007, 10:34 AM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Abdabz
I sent the link on to a few mates with the title "I didnt know Power Rangers could fly"...
I wouldnt have done it had the dude have been badly injured though. The miracle here is that he was "ok"...
My uncle had a similar accident on a public road a few years ago and is now held together by bits of metal
I have no knowledge of bikes whatsoever, how much difference is there between the protective equipment used by the pro's in this case and your average joe on his kawasaki?

Leathers, helmets, etc.
Old 05 September 2007, 10:45 AM
Odds on
Scooby Regular

Not much difference. Its the conditions that are different. Race tracks are smooth, no grit in them. There's also no kerb's/ lamp posts/ drains/ buildings etc to hit, hence they normally just roll abit and then get up.
Old 05 September 2007, 12:29 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
I'd imagine the broken pelvis and fractured ribs and a week in intensive care would make him a bit sore

Last edited by davyboy; 05 September 2007 at 12:33 PM.
Old 05 September 2007, 12:34 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TopBanana
Bikes are nasty things. Still nursing a broken rib after my last incident a month ago
Me too. Well, bruised ribs in my case, after I came off the trials bike and the handlebar end jabbed into my ribcage. Hurt like f**k the next day and for 3 weeks afterwards. Still sore now.
Old 05 September 2007, 12:47 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

As Davyboy says it's hardly just bruising and feeling sore afterwards

Brno MotoGP: Taro Sekiguchi breaks pelvis in 250 horror crash - Motorcycle Sport - MCN
Old 05 September 2007, 12:48 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by SiPie
As Davyboy says it's hardly just bruising and feeling sore afterwards

Brno MotoGP: Taro Sekiguchi breaks pelvis in 250 horror crash - Motorcycle Sport - MCN
Sorry, I was only going off what I read in the bikes section when I posted this.
Old 05 September 2007, 12:51 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Wink

Forgiven
Old 05 September 2007, 12:52 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Dont get smug with me...
Old 05 September 2007, 01:06 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Talking

First opportunity I've had to use it mate
Old 05 September 2007, 04:21 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Another good advert to not get a bike. Glad he lived, but I am surprised that so many people are prepared to take those risks. Still, it is their choice to do so.
Old 05 September 2007, 04:47 PM
Wizzbang
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
Another good advert to not get a bike. Glad he lived, but I am surprised that so many people are prepared to take those risks. Still, it is their choice to do so.

Spoken by a complete non biker

Those that ride bikes will understand fully why they take the risks, those that dont just wont.
Old 05 September 2007, 04:54 PM
Sbradley
Scooby Regular

I just posted the link on the basis of the information about his condition that came in a press release from his team...

Waiting to find out whether MCN are talking bollocks (wouldn't be the first time) or not.

SB

PS There's not much difference in the gear used by racers and the top end stuff used by road riders. The big difference, as Odds on says, is the lack of things to hit.

PPS Luminous, your post is utterly pointless as well as being massively out of context. What did it add?
Old 05 September 2007, 05:08 PM
Muerde
Scooby Regular

I love bikes, they are fantastic, the acceleration alone is enought reason to own one, let alone the handling.. really rewarding when it all goes right.... Do your CBT and the test just to see what they are like and get that understanding of what biking is like.

However I will never ride a bike on the road ever again....

5th of Arpil I broke both my shoulders, both my hands, my Left arm and a few ribs just for fun.. getting lifted out of bed every day and not able to pee without assistance started to get boring.... the Road and Mondeo's are quite hard you know..... And I was wearing all the right kit... expensive helmet, 1 peice leathers, fantastic gloves and boots.. frankly I am a very lucky boy.
Old 05 September 2007, 06:36 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wizzbang
Spoken by a complete non biker

Those that ride bikes will understand fully why they take the risks, those that dont just wont.
Agreed, and as tempted as I on occasions to climb on one and give it a go, I just hope I never do. Performance cars are like an addictive drug to me, I dread to think what a fast bike would be like
Old 05 September 2007, 06:57 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sbradley
PPS Luminous, your post is utterly pointless as well as being massively out of context. What did it add?
Sorry if you found it out of context, but I thought we were talking about bike crashes, and the consequences of those crashes. I'll wander off now to another thread.
Old 05 September 2007, 10:03 PM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

Location: I have ad blocked my rep - so dont waste your time!

actually you have a sort of point - i understand why people ride on a track - i do and have (the bloke that crashed also gets paid lots!) but i DONT understand why anyone would ride on the road? You have to go twice as slow yet it twice as dangerous and half as much fun?
Old 05 September 2007, 10:15 PM
Sbradley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
Sorry if you found it out of context, but I thought we were talking about bike crashes, and the consequences of those crashes. I'll wander off now to another thread.
Fair enough, but really it's as in context as seeing Ayrton Senna's crash and using that as evidence as to why you won't drive on the road...

But thanks, at least, for being polite in your disagreement

SB
Old 05 September 2007, 10:38 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Damn, I wandered back into the thread

My comments were about bikes as a whole, road, track or otherwise (I never mentioned road or track). I just don't have the ***** to do it. There just seems to be so much risk. Just as another example, I was flicking around the channels last weekend, and stumbled on a Moto GP event. I don't remember the track, but the racing was really good. Then, nearing the end of the first lap you saw all these bikes shooting up into the air over the crest of this hill. I was gobsmacked at how the first rider got away with it, and then to see all the riders do the same thing was just amazing.

I was thinking to myself just how cool it would feel to do that, but also feeling how bad it would be if you got it only slightly wrong. By the end of the race someone did just that, and I got to watch them go smacking into the tarmac. It left me feeling numb/sad/dunno really.

If you want to do it, then thats great. Clips like these do highlight the dangers. For me seeing crashes like that keeps me off bikes, as its only the injuries that I would sustain that put me off. I've crashed enough karts and cars to know that without something around me I'd have one broken body. As long as you know what you are getting into then I have no issue. Enjoy yourself, and this time I really will try to leave this thread alone
Old 05 September 2007, 10:47 PM
Nido
Scooby Regular

Luminous, that'd have been British Superbikes from Cadwell Park (over the mountain), the only bit of MGP that gets near that is the corkscrew at Laguna Seca, the bikes don't get air there though.

As a track & sometimes road rider the dangers don't bother me, I think that's generally true of many motorcylists. If not getting hurt is a major factor in your thinking then getting on a bike perhaps isn't the best move!
Old 05 September 2007, 10:55 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The Snug Rhino
but i DONT understand why anyone would ride on the road?
adrenaline, pure and simple. you cannot get close to the rush of riding a bike in a car, even in a veyron you are still insular from the environment. ride a bike, feel alive part of the machine or sit in your car with the air con on and chris moyles talking ****e in your ears.
Old 05 September 2007, 10:56 PM
Lisawrx

All I wanted to do for alot of years was learn to ride a bike, and get myself out there, until my uncle had a major accident.

He was on his way back from work, and due to a cyclist, he was forced to swerve to avoid wiping him out, and was left with 2 shattered legs, a collapsed lung along with other injuries, and a long spell in hospital. That put me off for life.

An accident is possibly a risk a biker takes, but for such serious injuries, just to avoid killing an irresponsible road user, it's not worth it to me.
Old 05 September 2007, 11:02 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lisawrx
All I wanted to do for alot of years was learn to ride a bike,
life is for living, if you looked around you and applied your logic to everything you would do nothing.

they say that when you are on your last legs you do not regret the things you have done, only the things you didn't.

this applies to anything you may want to do not just ride a bike.

Quick Reply: Major bike crash