Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

What age would you allow your kids to have an alocoholic drink

Search this Thread

Old 03 September 2007, 10:41 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile What age would you allow your kids to have an alocoholic drink

My Son is 17 is 10 days time and whilst on our hols we allowed him to have some alocoholic drink. My philosophy is, if I can see him doing it I can monitor how much he has. I would rather say, ok Son have a couple of drinks, than he sneak off and do it in a park somewhere.
Also, I do not want to be a hypocrite as I must admit to drinking myself at his age.
My Mum was horrified at us, anyone agree or think we are making a young alcoholic.
Old 03 September 2007, 10:42 PM
Simon 69
Scooby Regular

Younger the better, within reason, I think.
Old 03 September 2007, 10:47 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

He's having a couple of WKD, before starting college tomorrow
Old 03 September 2007, 10:49 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

I had a similar conversation with my Neice a few years ago about the dangers of drinking etc it was spurned by her buying some fake vodka with her mates and passing out on the street

I told her that it was ok to have the odd drinks within reason and learn her limits and that way she will hopefully keep out of trouble and avoid any nastiness

She originally thought I would have had a go at her about underage drinking, but she respected my views and hasnt been in that situation since and has grown up a bit more now too
Old 03 September 2007, 10:49 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

17 is fine ................. my daughter was 15

I would rather they discover the feeling of drink while in a safe environment
Old 03 September 2007, 10:54 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

He did get tight on holiday. Was hilarious and the swine did not have a hangover the next day. He has been spot on since coming home, enjoying a couple on the odd night he fancies. I feel it is fine, at least he is home. My Mum, like I said is horrified. She thinks we are encouraging him, I think we are educating him and keeping an eye at the same time.
Old 03 September 2007, 10:55 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I think letting them taste it earlier helps, they go Yuk and associate it with tasting nasty rather than getting to an age where its more palatable and trying it, i.e. you get longer out of the Yuk phase before the Yuk but will persevere to get p1ssed phase.
Old 03 September 2007, 11:06 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by J4CKO
I think letting them taste it earlier helps, they go Yuk and associate it with tasting nasty rather than getting to an age where its more palatable and trying it, i.e. you get longer out of the Yuk phase before the Yuk but will persevere to get p1ssed phase.

Spot on
He hates lager, that will change with time
These alcopops are the problem, they drink it like pop. I feel I am lucky he has not come home steaming drunk. It may change when he gets to college
Old 03 September 2007, 11:15 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

My Bro never touched a drop of ale in his life as he couldnt stand it

Once Alcopops were introduced he became an alcy
Old 03 September 2007, 11:17 PM
daddyscoob
Scooby Regular

Think you're doin the right thing. I started at school - lived in Brum used to go to the pub Sat night " The Windsor " changed a lot about 10 yrs about when we went it was a little city center pub. When we went we were 14 and beer was about 32p a pint - bliss.... told me folks I was goin to a youth club......

Best let them know it's not bad to drink but there's no pressure to do so. If they choose to then do it sensibly.
Old 04 September 2007, 07:58 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

In a family dining arena, then a glass of watered down wine is ok from as early 9/10 year old, teaches them that it isnt forbidden fruit and alcohol can be had in a safe manner.

Andy
Old 04 September 2007, 08:18 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

spot on lesley
keep it within reason and educate him is the way to go.

and anyway once he realises that there is no hope on god's earth that he will be able to beat or keep up with his mam, he will give up
Old 04 September 2007, 08:25 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

I was allowed the odd drink at home from about 14, nothing too powerful - just a bottle of beer or some cider. It definatly made me less interested in drink at a young age.
Old 04 September 2007, 08:31 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andy97
In a family dining arena, then a glass of watered down wine is ok from as early 9/10 year old, teaches them that it isnt forbidden fruit and alcohol can be had in a safe manner.

Andy
Certainly France doesn't seem to have the yob binge drinking issues we have and they tend to take this approach. My parents did much the same with me, I don't tend to drink in the week and will have a bottle or 2 of red over the weekend.
Old 04 September 2007, 08:32 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by SwissTony
once he realises that there is no hope on god's earth that he will be able to beat or keep up with his mam, he will give up
That's rich coming from the Elvington sink
Old 04 September 2007, 08:35 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

The hotel owner remarked how well behaved I was, unlike your drunken friends he said, especially the blonde one with glitzy trousers, she was a right mess.

Old 04 September 2007, 08:40 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by SwissTony
The hotel owner remarked how well behaved I was, unlike your drunken friends he said, especially the blonde one with glitzy trousers, she was a right mess.

That was Micky
Old 04 September 2007, 08:46 AM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 84of300
My Son is 17 is 10 days time and whilst on our hols we allowed him to have some alocoholic drink. My philosophy is, if I can see him doing it I can monitor how much he has. I would rather say, ok Son have a couple of drinks, than he sneak off and do it in a park somewhere.
Also, I do not want to be a hypocrite as I must admit to drinking myself at his age.
My Mum was horrified at us, anyone agree or think we are making a young alcoholic.
You're doing just fine.

The legal age in The Netherlands is 16, so I won't have a problem with my boys having a beer or two when they reach this age. There is not the same binge drinking culture here as in the UK, maybe a slightly younger start encourages a more mature attitude, as it isn't forbidden fruit?
Old 04 September 2007, 08:51 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

I was drinking about 13/14. Mum would even go to the shops and buy it for us but only on special occassions, the other times she didnt know we was drinking and sat outside the shop hoping someone who looked 18 would go in for us

Never did us lot any harm to be honest.

I left Oldham at the age of 15 and mum let me have a leaving party with all my friends round and we went to the seven eleven and spent a fortune on all sorts of alcohol just for that night. That was a messy one
Old 04 September 2007, 09:07 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonic'
My Bro never touched a drop of ale in his life as he couldnt stand it

Once Alcopops were introduced he became an alcy
Thats the saddest thing i ever read
Old 04 September 2007, 09:09 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

hiccup corner
Old 04 September 2007, 09:14 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If my friend's 7 yr old son asks for a sip of his beer, he's allowed it. Friend says he hopes it stops him being attracted to the "forbidden fruit".

True that in Southern Europe you would be considered odd for even asking the question - and would certainly raise eyebrows or sniggers for waiting as late as 17.

Meanwhile, you'd probably get jailed in the US for plying a minor with alcohol, their age is 21.

Social morals are funny things.
Old 04 September 2007, 10:29 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

I think from 5/6 is fine, as long as it's a sip or a glass of wine with a meal, as do most European nations.

Don't confuse the age to purchase alcohol with the age the law allows someone to drink it, which is 5 i believe. (Also different laws relate to private homes)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_drinking_age
Old 04 September 2007, 10:32 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
Meanwhile, you'd probably get jailed in the US for plying a minor with alcohol, their age is 21.

Social morals are funny things.
No, not between parents and children you wouldn't. See above link.
Old 04 September 2007, 10:50 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

I can remember when I was younger the aggro outside pubs and clubs was almost always started by the ones who'd been denied alcohol at home, and didn't know how to handle it as a result

My niece had her first drink at her christening when decided she liked the colour and shape of the tetleys can her uncle was holding, and grabbed hold of it to take a swallow.

She did learn immediately afterwards that when it comes to food and booze, I don't do sharing
Old 04 September 2007, 10:50 AM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

whether or not this helps matters my mother and father allowed me to drink from about 16 onwards, they only ever seen me drunk twice but hell between the ages of 16 and 19 i got drink, drugs, clubs, pubs all out of my system.

Now i dont drink, dont go to clubs and definitely dont do drugs as i've been there and got the t-shirt.

To be honest though most of the guys i used to hang around with when i was younger didnt see the light like i did as they are generally yobs and still live with there folks and go to the same clubs every weekend!
Old 04 September 2007, 10:51 AM
ChrisGrant
Scooby Regular

My family tradition is that the newborn baby gets some Champagne! You should see the lips and tongue go!!!!1 I’ve been drinking wine at the table for as long as I can remember........... I only now drink far too much but up in till 25 not really much of a DRINKER?
Old 04 September 2007, 10:55 AM
ChrisGrant
Scooby Regular

And yes we do do it in the Hospital!!!!!
Old 04 September 2007, 11:00 AM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

My three year old loves the taste of my "dirty beer", should I be worried?

Morally I think 17 is fine, it is legal for 17 year olds to consume with a meal if I`m not mistaken?
Personally, I was with the wrong crowd at 12 onwards and drinking Cider down the park, gladly I had sensible parents who steered me safely through my teenage years.
Old 04 September 2007, 11:08 AM
girl-in-a-scoob
Scooby Regular

Two sides to this....

My 14 yr old has had odd sips but not a full frink, I feel if it isnt such a novelty then it wont be a problem. It would be interesting to know what the incidence of teenage alcohol problems in France is as they drink from an early age there.

Second side... whilst in cyprus recently my mum and my eldest met a mother and her 14 yr old daughter and the 14 yr old was very drunk on a couple of occasions.....

With everything as long as it is done sensibly then I dont see a problem

Quick Reply: What age would you allow your kids to have an alocoholic drink