Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

The next 9/11 within a month?...

Search this Thread

Old 28 August 2007, 07:14 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face The next 9/11 within a month?...

Market Crash Forecast Suggests New 9/11

A mystery trader risks losing around $1 billion dollars after placing 245,000 put options on the Dow Jones Eurostoxx 50 index, leading many analysts to speculate that a stock market crash preceded by a new 9/11 style catastrophe could take place within the next month.
Interesting! Does someone know something is about to take place? Someone stands to make over $2billion in profit is the US stock market crashes between 1/3 and 1/2 in the next month

Ok this could potentially happen due to the credit crunch alone, but interesting a similar thing happened before 9/11... a LOT of money was bet on US airline shares crashing before the attacks - and of course they did crash...

9/11 itself was foreshadowed by unprecedented put options that were placed on United and American Airlines. Though the Securities and Exchange Commission refused to reveal who placed the options
I would love to know who places these massive bets on US airline stocks before 9/11, and who has done so again.. and why...
Old 28 August 2007, 07:21 PM
cdfracing
Scooby Regular

Interesting ! You can bet a few more peeps put there money on it aswell now after seeing what he's done!
Old 28 August 2007, 07:37 PM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

Yes very strange isn't it!
Old 28 August 2007, 08:00 PM
swampster
Scooby Regular

Hmm, I'm not an economics analyst or anything.. but, firstly as barmy as it might sound this doesn't seem a bad "bet". When you consider the state of the US Stock Market at the moment it doesn't take much to believe that a crash isn't in the realms of impossibility even without another 9/11 style disaster.

So.. some guy takes a punt betting it will crash, causing all kinds of headlines (in themselves problably not helpful to the market).. a few others think "kerching" and do the same, before you know it already nervous investors are pulling their stakes, a few more follow the trend and hey presto the markets have been squeezed enough to cause a terminal landslide.

On top of that the implanted "fear" that this will cause won't have much of a good effect on the markets either. Considering this kind of thing apparently happened prior to 9/11 do you think terrorists (or someone in the know) would telegraph their intent just prior to it occurring and effectively giving a timescale!? They might just cause ramping up of security everywhere making it that much more difficult to carry out such acts.

All it takes is someone with the cash, ***** and lack of morality to initially set the ball rolling, and a few more greedy b@stards to follow suit!

Edit:
Anyways, just had a quick read about this... and from what I can see there's no mention of a run on airline shares. As far as I can see that prisonplanet site is erm.. lets say extravagant or flamboyant in their reporting, being an "activist" site that's probably understandable.. seems a bit of a mecca for conspiracy theorists and the paranoid!

Here's a more balanced report of the same investment..
Financial News and Information from Financial News Online US

no mention of catastrophes etc there

Last edited by swampster; 28 August 2007 at 08:32 PM.
Old 29 August 2007, 10:09 AM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

I would agree its probably most likely a bid banking on the current financial crisis causing the markets to drop hugely - maybe also with China selling its dollars off also.

If there is another terrorist attack in the next month I'll be looking back at that article however!!