Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Modern life causes global warming? Its been around for 80+ years!

Search this Thread

Old 24 August 2007, 08:30 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modern life causes global warming? Its been around for 80+ years!

D.C. resident John Lockwood was conducting research at the Library of Congress and came across an intriguing Page 2 headline in the Nov. 2, 1922 edition of The Washington Post: "Arctic Ocean Getting Warm; Seals Vanish and Icebergs Melt."

The 1922 article, obtained by Inside the Beltway, goes on to mention "great masses of ice have now been replaced by moraines of earth and stones," and "at many points well-known glaciers have entirely disappeared."

"This was one of several such articles I have found at the Library of Congress for the 1920s and 1930s," says Mr. Lockwood. "I had read of the just-released NASA estimates, that four of the 10 hottest years in the U.S. were actually in the 1930s, with 1934 the hottest of all."
Old 24 August 2007, 10:17 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

And remember we were entering an ice age in the 70's

Pesky experts
Old 25 August 2007, 12:04 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I'm disheartened that watching my plasma TV may cause worldwide tropical conditions, as last time people were this irresponsible Pangea amost fried. It was only the unexpected intervention of an Ice-Age that saved us all
Old 25 August 2007, 12:37 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
I'm disheartened that watching my plasma TV may cause worldwide tropical conditions, as last time people were this irresponsible Pangea amost fried. It was only the unexpected intervention of an Ice-Age that saved us all
Who'd have thought a 300watt Tv would cuase so much damage, eh?

Cup of tea?

<switches on 3kw fast boil 2litre jug kettle>

Old 25 August 2007, 12:54 AM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

Originally Posted by Shark Man
Who'd have thought a 300watt Tv would cuase so much damage, eh?

Cup of tea?

<switches on 3kw fast boil 2litre jug kettle>

Yeah thanx, 2 sugar and milk for me
Old 25 August 2007, 08:42 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

The planet is changing.. yes..
We are causing it..........hmmm maybe not.

We are playing a role in it, every action has a reaction blah blah blah.

But somehow I can help but bury my head in the sand when I hear talk of this "its our fault"

Everything scientists have said, they have also said the opposite.
Cholestoral is BAD.... but its good too.
Diet coke much healthier, but the ingredients are BAAAAD!

You only have to watch the papers for a complete turn around almost every year on health matters etc.
OK smoking causes cancer, they stuck with that one.

At the end of the day, research back through the ages shows repeated melts of the ice, valleys and canyons cause by massive melts and ice collapses, glacier's melting etc. If that were not the case, how the hell would they keep finding things, evidence of man, and early man buried by snow, deep inside ice, on the ground UNDER the ice etc.

Being a little bit aware, there is no harm in that. Recycle a few bits, reduce landfill sites etc, thats all well and good. But all the other garbage that comes with it. Well im sorry to say, if thats how it is.... I actually dont care!

Im off for a drive !!! lol
Old 25 August 2007, 11:46 AM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Global warming makes North Atlantic less salty LiveScience on 29 June 2005.
Global warming makes North Atlantic more salty New Scientist 23 Aug 2007

Who to believe eh?
Old 25 August 2007, 11:57 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Whale spunk makes North Atlantic more salty
Old 26 August 2007, 01:25 AM
Norman D. Landing
Scooby Regular

OK, lol at that one
Old 26 August 2007, 08:48 AM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by warrenm2

Who to believe eh?
click on the 2nd link and you get:

Maintenance work in progress!

Sorry! All the sites in the New Scientist network are down for scheduled maintenance today. Please try again tomorrow.

Scientist are, as we speak, frantically trying to get their stories lined up!
Old 26 August 2007, 09:13 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by warrenm2

Who to believe eh?
lol just like I said, one minute its one thing, the next minute its the opposites.
So let me get this right...

CFC's we remember those right? Was it THEM killing the atmosphere, or cars. I dont get how the damage to the ozone is above places where no-one lives. (I realise gases move)
The problem with scientists is they work with fact, and probablility not possibilities, so until there is proof of something, they stick to their guns.

Face facts, if cars etc were REALLY doing so much harm, motorsport should undergo, and immediate carpet ban. That would make a good impact. How about Hollywood stunts and explosions... again they would need to stop, and so on.

There is a Clarkson artical somewhere that says something along the lines of,

Global Warming came about when the americans realised their oil supply would soon run out. So they declared an emergency, and said it was harmful, justifying billions of dollars for research of alternative fuels and alternative drilling sites and techniques.

Its since been discovered that oil will last for many years more, so they dropped the story and started ignoring it. While the rest of the PC correct idiots in the EU stirred up more and more hype, and now.... we all believe its real.

I more willing to believe that than anything else so far
Old 26 August 2007, 10:25 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy
lol just like I said, one minute its one thing, the next minute its the opposites.
So let me get this right...

Everything scientists have said, they have also said the opposite.
Cholestoral is BAD.... but its good too.
Diet coke much healthier, but the ingredients are BAAAAD!

CFC's we remember those right? Was it THEM killing the atmosphere, or cars. I dont get how the damage to the ozone is above places where no-one lives. (I realise gases move)
The problem with scientists is they work with fact, and probablility not possibilities, so until there is proof of something, they stick to their guns.
A little bit of help there...

Cholesterol is an essential fat in the make up of the body - everyone agrees
Excess cholesterol caused by high fat and in particular high sugar diet (and exacerbated by smoking) is VERY BAD - everyone agrees. The body can make pretty much all the cholesterol it needs.

Diet Coke - no sugar good, sweetener BAD, the one used in the UK is banned in the US as it is a known carcinogen and neurotoxin.

CFCs are known to reduce the thickness of the Ozone layer where the holes will appear where is a already at it's thinnest. We are lucky that the main holes are above areas that are not heavily populated or are Australia

So it is possible for apparent contradictions to appear at the surface where a little extra research can show that the contradictions are easy to resolve
Old 26 August 2007, 10:44 AM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rannoch

Excess cholesterol caused by high fat and in particular high sugar diet (and exacerbated by smoking) is VERY BAD - everyone agrees. The body can make pretty much all the cholesterol it needs.

Diet Coke - no sugar good, sweetener BAD, the one used in the UK is banned in the US as it is a known carcinogen and neurotoxin.

CFCs are known to reduce the thickness of the Ozone layer where the holes will appear where is a already at it's thinnest. We are lucky that the main holes are above areas that are not heavily populated or are Australia

So it is possible for apparent contradictions to appear at the surface where a little extra research can show that the contradictions are easy to resolve
If (in Diet Coke comment) you are refering to Aspartame controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, you would see that it has been approved in the US since 1981. As you say, a little research.....
Old 26 August 2007, 11:16 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

lol thanks for all that.
However, my point is... most dont wont or cant research these things, but will just go on what they are told.
As all the sources of information are scientific, but from 2 different sides, you will STILL get conflicting stories.

I was not grasping at straws with the cholestoral thing, just quoting what we have been told by the "experts" over the past 5 years. Conflicting stories over and over. Tell the scientists to do the "extra research" before making their ground breaking press releases lol.

Known or believed? Like I say im no scientist, but the fact that free flowing gases congregate over vastly unpopulated areas and seek out weaknesses in the layer..... Are they being helpful or what lol.

Im only messing about, and using a few examples of todays stories to highlight a simple fact that the scientific community cant make their frickin minds up, so just seem to release conflicting stories over and over.

Global warming being one of them ?

Unleaded petrol..... once a solution, now apparently the source of a whole new problem lol
Old 26 August 2007, 11:49 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

OK - do you have a reference that states that cholesterol is a good thing? I have never seen anything that states cholesterol (other than natural levels in the body) is a good thing.

In terms of gases - the huge 'spot' on Jupiter is simply a huge gas cloud which has been there for hundreds of years and it has not dispersed or gone away. In the same way ozone is not even distributed over the earth.

Warren - you are right - I should have said should be banned based on the FDA's own research never mind anyone else's. There is a big move in the US to have it banned.
Old 26 August 2007, 12:37 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

OK - do you have a reference that states that cholesterol is a good thing? I have never seen anything that states cholesterol (other than natural levels in the body) is a good thing.

In terms of gases - the huge 'spot' on Jupiter is simply a huge gas cloud which has been there for hundreds of years and it has not dispersed or gone away. In the same way ozone is not even distributed over the earth.

Warren - you are right - I should have said should be banned based on the FDA's own research never mind anyone else's. There is a big move in the US to have it banned.
OK I shall re-word it
Too much is bad, too little is bad, but the middle section is a little blurred as to what is actually "good"

"Natural Levels" would that then suggest that if 2 people live similar lives including exercise and food intakes, a 5 point difference cholestoral one reaching into the "at risk" level, should be considered "safe" as its natural.
Hope you can see what im getting at with this.

I do believe that Jupiter is also believe to lack the same properties as our lil planet, such as gravity, and atmosphere.
The gas cloud on Jupiter was caused by? Without knowing, its hard to compare to something man made, than ends up somewhere where man is not.

Like I say, they are examples of many of the things that scientists change their mind on each time a new study, or a new fact is discovered....
Old 26 August 2007, 12:43 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

A slightly light hearted, yet example of how people (scientists, archeologists) can change their minds about the simplist of things...

Ireland's 'Ancient' Love Affair With Ale |Sky News|UK News
Old 26 August 2007, 12:44 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

I believe there is a big hoo-har with the Atkin's Diet when it comes to cholesterol

BTW: That is what I've been told
Old 26 August 2007, 04:05 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

There is probably a different debate about the cause of consistently high cholesterol which is a different matter entirely. My belief is that it is high levels of refined sugar are a bigger cause higher levels of cholesterol rather than the consumption of fat.

However there is no disagreement that high cholesterol levels in the body is a bad thing and that both high fat and high sugar diets are both at fault.
Old 26 August 2007, 04:27 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

There is probably a different debate about the cause of consistently high cholesterol which is a different matter entirely. My belief is that it is high levels of refined sugar are a bigger cause higher levels of cholesterol rather than the consumption of fat.

However there is no disagreement that high cholesterol levels in the body is a bad thing and that both high fat and high sugar diets are both at fault.
Nope, no disagreement from anyone there.
But the drive was, lower lower lower your cholestoral...

Then 6 months later, oh but not too low cos thats just as bad.
However to your later point, I know of a couple of people who got the shocks of their lives during a routine work medical a couple of years back.

A heavily overweight middle aged man, and a mid 30's rather slender lady.
Male, poor diet, did not care, female, good diet, low sugar, low fat, good fibre and loads of fruit and veg etc.

He had perfectly normal cholestoral, and her was alarmingly high, so high in fact she needed to seek medical help.

For as accurate as research and statistics are, they are never quite as accurate as we would like to believe.

Same as many other ailements, and thats just the start of it, with the human body, as for the rest of the world, our impact and our actual knowledge of it all..... global warming is just the tip of the iceberg (whats left of it )
Old 26 August 2007, 05:15 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

There are two types of Cholesterol, HDL and LDL. We all, have a mix of those two types. HDL is beneficial and LDL is the one which causes plaque build up in the arteries which can lead to the dreaded coronary. I think I have got those the right way round anyway, if I haven't someone will soon tell us.

If you have had a quad bypass, like me, they put you on Statins for the rest of your life to keep the cholesterol low. They work very well and my cholesterol reading is 4.0 now. that is a low reading. My blood pressure also dropped from 160-ish to a steady 120/70 now. best by far to work towards that with your diet and stay lucky as I did.

Les
Old 26 August 2007, 05:21 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Leslie. I know how you feel with the BP side of things. I had critical BP a while back. Was on some nice medication for it. And a lot of running later and I got it to a similar figure to you.
Previously I was round something like 202/108 lol Not a good place to be.

Average reading around that time was 185/90