Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

quentin wilson vrs harry metcalfe from evo magazine

Search this Thread

Old 14 August 2007, 09:49 AM
philipo
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quentin wilson vrs harry metcalfe from evo magazine

just seen this on a type r forum , quite funny, they have to do a lap of millbrook circuit not the bowl, with only 1 litre of fuel,

i always thought that when low on fuel coasting was the best thing to do, but these guys reckon your wrong, as its better to leave the car in gear as the injectors are not spraying fuel into the engine ready for more gas, as they would be when you have the clutch down ior are not in gear? what do you reckon, wish i had known that when i had my type RA

not a bad vid, and funny watchign them mess it up

http://www.evo.co.uk/front_website/bpvideos/millbrook.php

Last edited by philipo; 14 August 2007 at 09:50 AM. Reason: terrible spelling
Old 14 August 2007, 10:37 AM
Scoobydid
Scooby Regular

I'd love to meet that Cretin Wilson and punch hime in the ear.

He was the one who started the "all grey imports are stolen and dangerous" campaign a few years ago (right when I was selling my STI) I had two buyers interested at the time and lost both due to him. Ended up selling it months later for much less than it had been worth. Apparently he, working with Hampshire police had discovered this and had come up with a scheme whereby you could take your documents to the plod shop and get the vehicles history verified with Japan. However when you contacted Hants Police I got passed around until someone finally told me there was no system in place, however because he had told everyone on his telly program that you shouldn't buy an import without one of these documents, no one would even look the car.

Sorry I can't watch it as I find him such an irritating tw@t, however on the basis of the above, I would assume he's completely ******* misinformed and wrong.
Old 14 August 2007, 12:01 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by philipo
just seen this on a type r forum , quite funny, they have to do a lap of millbrook circuit not the bowl, with only 1 litre of fuel,

i always thought that when low on fuel coasting was the best thing to do, but these guys reckon your wrong, as its better to leave the car in gear as the injectors are not spraying fuel into the engine ready for more gas, as they would be when you have the clutch down ior are not in gear? what do you reckon, wish i had known that when i had my type RA

not a bad vid, and funny watchign them mess it up

http://www.evo.co.uk/front_website/bpvideos/millbrook.php
They do have a system so that when you are decelerating in gear with your foot off the throttle, the fuel is cut from the injectors so you would save fuel while that is happening.

I had a car which would do that, might have been my M3.

Les
Old 14 August 2007, 12:08 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

JC did the same thing (leaving it in gear rather than coasting) when he had a fuel saving challenge on TG. That was in a diesel Audi, not sure if it applies to petrol cars?

Certainly doesn't on mine, pop pop pop
Old 14 August 2007, 12:09 PM
Bodgit
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
They do have a system so that when you are decelerating in gear with your foot off the throttle, the fuel is cut from the injectors so you would save fuel while that is happening.

I had a car which would do that, might have been my M3.

Les
I dont know how good mpg computers are on cars but i notices this in one of my cars the instant mpg was much better in gear going down a hill than out of gear. Surprised a few people when i demonstrated it.
Old 14 August 2007, 12:14 PM
Bodgit
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jay m A
JC did the same thing (leaving it in gear rather than coasting) when he had a fuel saving challenge on TG. That was in a diesel Audi, not sure if it applies to petrol cars?

Certainly doesn't on mine, pop pop pop
Quick hijack sorrry, when you mention pop pop pop, are you reffering to this is what make the exhaist pop and bang? Just mine does but I have been trying to work out when and how.
Old 14 August 2007, 01:16 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Originally Posted by Bodgit
Quick hijack sorrry, when you mention pop pop pop, are you reffering to this is what make the exhaist pop and bang? Just mine does but I have been trying to work out when and how.
Yep, excess unburnt fuel ignites on a hot exhaust on overrun.
Old 15 August 2007, 12:00 PM
Bodgit
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jay m A
Yep, excess unburnt fuel ignites on a hot exhaust on overrun.
thanks for that something I have been meaning to ask for ages.
Old 15 August 2007, 12:21 PM
Bakerman
Scooby Regular

A lot of modern cars cut the fuel supply on the overrun, therefore come off the loud pedal well before you need to brake and you save it - good habit to get into. Idling needs fuel funnily enough.
Old 15 August 2007, 12:29 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bakerman
A lot of modern cars cut the fuel supply on the overrun, therefore come off the loud pedal well before you need to brake and you save it - good habit to get into. Idling needs fuel funnily enough.

Yup, spot on

Every petrol car with fuel injection does this, so long the revs are above a preset point (usually 1500rpm ish).

Its called overrun shutoff. And nearly every car made since 1992 has has it.

Same with diesels too.

If you let a car go down a steep hill in gear at low revs and let it speed up, you'll feel the extra engine braking when fuel cuts off as the revs go above the shut off point.

This is why most automatic cars use more fuel than manuals; as autos don't make as much use of engine braking and thus the overrun shutoff occurs less often - especially round town or sub 50mph.

Last edited by Shark Man; 15 August 2007 at 12:31 PM.
Old 15 August 2007, 01:09 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by Shark Man
Yup, spot on

Every petrol car with fuel injection does this, so long the revs are above a preset point (usually 1500rpm ish).
Not strictly true there Shark Man

Every car with engine management has it

Older cars with Mechanical Injection or basic Electronic Injection don't.
Old 15 August 2007, 05:01 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Well hactually I could muddle it up even more: Some mechanical systems do have overrun shutoff: Some Bosch K-jetronic (mechanical) do, mainly on emission controlled vehicles via a shut off solonoid (usually USA/federal/California spec cars - jetronic lambda IIRC). As with KE jetronic which is electro-mechnical.

Lucas Digital "P" systems (6CU), which is one of the oldest EFi system also do - circa 1980. Althougth that is not strictly engine management; its electronically controlled via clock pulses and registers varied by resistance and capacitance via AtoD converters which refer to a ROM chip, no programming, no microprocessor, no adaptive values etc. Very crude - but still a work of art.

Even seen solonoids adapated on electro-mechanical controlled Weber and Stromburg carbs if we really want to get anally technical (not to be confused with the solonoid used to stop the engine running after the ignition is turned off ).

Last edited by Shark Man; 15 August 2007 at 06:33 PM. Reason: oops...wibble :D