Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

IAM Membership..

Search this Thread

Old 12 August 2007, 01:26 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IAM Membership..

Any members/people going through the process of their test here?

I'm toying with the idea of jumping in with both feet and doing this when I get to my next unit, unfortunatly, I don't think the Army will recognise it as a course and help pay for it, but I can always try.

Can anyone give me some general opinions about the test, example of membership benefits and if they think it is/is not worth doing?
Old 12 August 2007, 02:08 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

I did this when I was younger, and it was a good experience. It didn't "help" in that it didn't give me insurance discounts or anything else, but I enjoyed learning the correct way to drive.

I also went out in a Police patrol as part of the course and they do drive like maniacs when they want to

Steve
Old 12 August 2007, 02:28 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

I did it a couple of years ago.
It's good in the fact that it teaches you to drive properly and to get from A to B as swiftly as possible within the law.
The only problem I can see with it is that you realise just how many drivers really can't drive and that winds me up! ( which is exactly what the test is supposed NOT to make you become).
Discounts on insurance are practically nil but you can live in the knowledge that you are one of only 0.25% of the driving population who can drive well

If you do the Skills for Life course it should cost you about £90 all in.

Welcome to the IAM!
Old 12 August 2007, 02:33 PM
simonbb1328
Scooby Regular

I have done a slightly different test due to work but still enabled be to join.
Also at 22 and 1200 fully comp for my 07 I would say its worth it
Old 12 August 2007, 10:39 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Did my IAM at 18 whilst at school. The main thing I got out of it was observational skills. I tend to find in the car I'll say, "Oh, look at such and such" and the passenger will say where? As I'll be looking way ahead of where they are.
Old 12 August 2007, 10:51 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

I passed this test many years ago.

Common sense logical stuff I was taught is now is considered 'non PC' . However as common sense remains, err, still common sense, I have washed my hands of them.

This is despite having an 'off the record' conversation with a senior examiner there where he agreed with me that absolute speed isnt the sole safety determinant in any overtaking manouver - in fact, it well may be quite the opposite. However they and the scamerrati will insist you leisurely overtake a 56mph truck without exceeding 60 for a split second - on pain of being deemed a maniac and on pain of prosecution. Bonkers!

A weak, establismnent driven organisation that has lost its plot I'm afraid. Shame.

D
Old 12 August 2007, 10:57 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Worth doing, just for that 'extra' vision it can give.

I found it all a bit **** in terms of what they expect, and they are rigid in their teachings. Much of it I found pointless or not applicable to day-to-day driving in the real world.

As with police driving tutoring, you take the bits that apply and ignore the rest!

Just don't fall into the trap by thinking you're a great driver just because you've done it...
Old 12 August 2007, 11:19 PM
Andy S.
Scooby Senior

I did this earlier this year,

I felt it gives you much more awareness of whats going on around you. Taking correct lines through bends to give you the safest route. Also they appreaciate you using your car (within the law) ie acceleration and cornering

Good experience
Old 13 August 2007, 08:33 AM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

I passed my test before Easter and am now training to be an observer.

If you are already a good driver, it reinforces your behaviours. Unfortunately, the kind of people who take the course are usually already good drivers - the people who would benefit from extra training cannot see their flaws or are not interested and so do not en-role.

It's true, once you have done the course, other drivers **** you off even more!

Steve
Old 13 August 2007, 09:39 AM
Power Junkie
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have done this and now im an Observer, It is really worth doing just for the added observation cues and smooth driving tips, £80(ish) for the test isnt bad really and you will get money off your insurance (many co's support it)
Old 13 August 2007, 11:18 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Did it when I was 23 (now 32) and kept my membership going ever since.
Didn't do it for the discounts (although they are handy) - I did it when I got a mk2 GTi Golf and felt I needed to be able to drive it safely.

Calms nervous passengers down and often means you are allowed to drive other people's nice motors!
Old 13 August 2007, 12:16 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Other drivers **** me off to such an extent on my drive home at weekends the only thing that stops me going psycho is classic FM (how depressing is that for a 28yo?!?).

I would like to think that 85% of the time I am a bit more observent than the 'average' driver, my mirror and indicator use verges on being OCD

I can get a little carried away on more interesting roads though.. and figure anything which could improve or temper my behaviour is a good thing..
Old 13 August 2007, 12:23 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Prasius - I got free lessons (oberservers are usually free), the test cost £40 and it's £17ish a year for membership.

I saved on insurance and still save on breakdown cover (more than the £17p/a).

I would say go for it -it helps you criticise your own driving before others (essential IMO), and also helps you anticipate muppet driving well in advance, leading to less "near misses."

People that mock it are generally aggressive and crap drivers.

Only negative is middle aged men in Rovers/Volvos who display the IAM badge on their grille and give everyone that "superior driver" look.
Old 13 August 2007, 11:19 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Surely me informing other road users what I'm up to is of benefit to other road users? Depending on the road I won't always use them when going around a vehicle parked at the side for instance - but that's dependent on the road, where the vehicle is, where other vehicles are, where junctions are etc etc. But things like incorrect indication on roundabouts, junctions, motorways, is a real pet hate of mine.

I have pretty strong feelings about people who don't use their indicators when they should - far too impolite to go into here!
Old 13 August 2007, 11:24 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

But why use them if there's no one else on the road?

By using them you're going through the motions and not actually thinking about your driving.

When I did my police pursuit training you'd be marked down, with a possible failure for using them. It is seen as you daydreaming when you should be on the ball.
Old 13 August 2007, 11:31 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Ahaa! That explains my daily furrowed brow when approaching my local mini roundabout where I try to guess which exit people are going to take. I suppose they dont dont consider themselves to be 'in pursuit' so dont bother indicating!! Well I am! I am in pursuit of youse lot telling me which way you are heading!!!

Better now!

Thx xx

D
Old 13 August 2007, 11:34 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

They only should be 'unused' when no one else wouldn't be confused!

My pet hate is people not using indicators. That and mobile phone use...
Old 14 August 2007, 12:05 AM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Okay - I appreciate that some people are trained in certain ways - and coming from a similar environment where people sometimes think they're somehow 'special' I understand how it works (not having a go - its something I've been guilty of as well!).

Now I've had a similar discussions before with people; and regardless of whats said, the suggestion that you shouldn't use them because no one else is looking strikes me as.. well.. stupid.

Don't want to get into a massive argument about it - but I'd rather be someone who indicates knowing that nobody else is around, than be one of the many drivers who haven't a clue what the little stalk right near their steering wheel is for.
Old 14 August 2007, 12:10 AM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

What about if you're indicating one way and then have to change your mind in a split second, and to alter the signal would make you crash?.......

That's why I often don't indicate.

When driving normally I always indicate though.
Old 14 August 2007, 12:38 AM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fatherpierre
What about if you're indicating one way and then have to change your mind in a split second, and to alter the signal would make you crash?.......

That's why I often don't indicate.

I can't think of a situation I've ever been in where that has been an issue. If I couldn't change a signal because I was concerned that I'd crash - I would doubt if I was anywhere close to being in control of the vehicle. At which point indication is a bit null/void as I'd be pretty unlikely to end up going where I wanted to go anyhow
Old 14 August 2007, 01:13 PM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

I was tought when doing the driver instructing course that you indicate when someone could benefit from it - which includes people who may be there that you can't see, such as peds round the corner. Unless you can see there are no road users, signal.
When you're pulling in after overtaking it's usually pointless, as you're going faster than the guy behind anyway, and it's fairly obvious what you're going to do, so they wouldn't benefit from it.

Like using your lights, it's common sense.

It's a real shame most people can't be bother indicating on roundabout.

if you really want to improve your driving (I have no respect for the IAM BTW), learn to ride a bike. Staying alive improves your observation no end.
Old 14 August 2007, 10:40 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pwhittle
When you're pulling in after overtaking it's usually pointless, as you're going faster than the guy behind anyway, and it's fairly obvious what you're going to do, so they wouldn't benefit from it.

Like using your lights, it's common sense.
Interesting. I do subscribe to the 'if no one is around to see it, you should be aware of that and know that indicating is utterly pointless' school of thought. However I do tend to indicate when pulling back in - it somehow seems to imply that you are very much in control and measured about the overtaking act. It is probably pointless unless you very away from other vehicles - its is clearly a good thing to do if cars are approaching in the distance however, or if you have to nip back into a slower moving queue (dohh - give that man an IAM badge!)

I also speak as someone who has to overtake 'visitors' much more used to dual carrigeways and the motorway's lane 1 than our 'jumpy' twisty Welsh' A' and 'B' roads!

D