Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

TAROX 6 POTS! ANY GOOD?

Search this Thread

Old 20 November 2000, 09:43 PM
waynelivesey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Iam about to upgrade the brakes but can any of you give any recs on the above.At the moment iam just running the standard two pots fitted with tarox 40 groove disks and pads and have found them to be very good.I just require an upgrade for my first trackday.I know all about the brembos and APs but the tarox being six pots seem better value.!
CHEERS
WAYNE
Old 20 November 2000, 11:25 PM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Save for a bit longer if you want 6 pots, we (
Old 21 November 2000, 08:55 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Wayne I can reinforce what Mike has said. You would be better off saving up and getting a proper kit.

We fitted Mike's old Tarox 6 pots to Scott Davis car. They required a lot of work. The pistons do not have dust seals and were severely corroded. Despite stripping and cleaning every component, problems soon re-appeared.

After a few months, the corrosion returned with a vengence. One calliper had three seized pistons, the other had four. Of the working pistons, all had developed cracks, due to the pressure that these pistons were now exerting. These pistons are stainless, but I would suspect that the grade is not sufficient to cope with our climate. Not having dust seals does make them a track only product, which would be subject to a strip and rebuild after every race.

I'm not one for knocking other peoples products and am only reporting what we found. To their credit, Tarox did replace Scott's callipers free of charge.

The AP 6 pot kit is very different construction. It has quality dust seals and the pistons are differentially sized. We are updating our website Brakes page and have included a picture of the pistons and a description of why the piston sizing is important.

Like Mike says, the AP 6's are available from several sources. Scoobysport and BRD also sell them... and they are on the AP sponsored Scoobysport track car
Old 24 November 2000, 12:43 PM
RobAnderson
Scooby Regular

I fitted the Tarox 6-pot kit around the same time as Mike (around 2 years ago?) and I've had no real bother to speak of since and no corrosion is apparent.There were initial bedding-in gripes and lack of dust-seals is strictly speaking a bit of a no-no but I'd argue they still represent good value for money in absolute terms.The performance improvement I found to be huge (though I was upgrading from the original hopeless twin-pots) although initial 'bite' is still disappointingly lacking.
However, while I would not be as disparaging as Mike or Pete about the Tarox kit and haven't had any real grumbles, I would, with hindsight, splash out a bit more and go for an A.P. kit.