Knocked a cyclist over today...

Search this Thread

Old 08 August 2007, 06:35 PM
Account deleted by request
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Knocked a cyclist over today...

Truly terrible experience

I was pulling out of a blind(ish) junction and hit him head on, fortunately was at low speed (approximately 3/5mph) and he is ok after a quick visit to hospital.

Very unpleasant now can hardly drive without worrying about it happening again, still not sure how it happened

£2500 worth of damage to a 3 month old car as well.

Thank god he is ok

chop
Old 08 August 2007, 06:39 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by chopper.
Truly terrible experience

I was pulling out of a blind(ish) junction and hit him head on, fortunately was at low speed (approximately 3/5mph) and he is ok after a quick visit to hospital.

Very unpleasant now can hardly drive without worrying about it happening again, still not sure how it happened

£2500 worth of damage to a 3 month old car as well.

Thank god he is ok

chop
That's shock chop, you'll soon be back to normal...... everyone is OK, so no harm done (just financial damage that's all).....
Old 08 August 2007, 06:43 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Was it your fault or his?
Old 08 August 2007, 06:46 PM
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fatherpierre
Mine 100% - just didn't see him, had my partner in the car and she confirmed that I checked twice to make sure all was clear and saw nothing, then he appeared out of no-where.

Old bill were superb but they say I maybe prosecuted for drivng without due care and attention. Feels ver harsh that 10 years of driving with no accidens or points could result in this.

chop
Old 08 August 2007, 06:46 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

He should have wound his neck in then you'd have hit is wheel first.
Old 08 August 2007, 06:47 PM
Scooby Regular

cheers dci

chop
Old 08 August 2007, 07:20 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Crikey, least nobody is seriously hurt. Pennies can be found to fix bodywork on a car but not as easily as bodywork on a person.
Old 08 August 2007, 07:24 PM
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
Crikey, least nobody is seriously hurt. Pennies can be found to fix bodywork on a car but not as easily as bodywork on a person.
Absolutely dave.

I took his bike straight to shop to be fixed and have got him a voucher to buy a helmet from there as he said when on the floor he was definately going to buy one. Makes me feel a bit better.

chop
Old 08 August 2007, 07:33 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The biggest worry and concern is yet to come .................

In about 3 weeks time a badly written letter will drop on your mat, holding you fully responsible and telling you to send it to your Insurance Company - the letter will probably get the date wrong, the names wrong, the road wrong .... and it will come from one of those No-Win No-Fee Cowboy Outfits!!

I had a 3 year battle with them and it went through the Courts, I was consumed with the thing all that time!!
Old 08 August 2007, 07:42 PM
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
The biggest worry and concern is yet to come .................

In about 3 weeks time a badly written letter will drop on your mat, holding you fully responsible and telling you to send it to your Insurance Company - the letter will probably get the date wrong, the names wrong, the road wrong .... and it will come from one of those No-Win No-Fee Cowboy Outfits!!

I had a 3 year battle with them and it went through the Courts, I was consumed with the thing all that time!!
True pete, very true.

Fortunately thats why we have legal cover with insurance.

chop
Old 08 August 2007, 07:49 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a similar experience a few years ago. came up to a junction,one way street looked left (where the traffic comes from), just looking right and starting to inch forward when loony cyclist came down the one way street the wrong way right into me and flipped over my bonnet, him and his bike and landed on the other side in the road.
cue loads of ppl coming rushing to his aid, me outside the car getting abuse and shouted out by other cyclists....

ended up dragging on for ages, as he had no house insurance and was a hari krishna too boot..bloody cyclist ,with no helmet and sandals on
Old 08 August 2007, 08:16 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SwissTony
I had a similar experience a few years ago. came up to a junction,one way street looked left (where the traffic comes from), just looking right and starting to inch forward when loony cyclist came down the one way street the wrong way right into me and flipped over my bonnet, him and his bike and landed on the other side in the road.
cue loads of ppl coming rushing to his aid, me outside the car getting abuse and shouted out by other cyclists....

ended up dragging on for ages, as he had no house insurance and was a hari krishna too boot..bloody cyclist ,with no helmet and sandals on
I hope you sued the bugger. Wrong way up a one way street it not on.
Old 08 August 2007, 08:52 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Luminous
I hope you sued the bugger. Wrong way up a one way street it not on.
yes i tried to use the useless git but no much hope.He did send me a book about enlightment and inner peace which I felt like shoving up his chakra
Old 08 August 2007, 09:42 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by two people

Mine 100%
Did you check his bike to see if it was legal. Most real men cyclists think it's girly to have a bell on your bike, but it is a requirement in law. If he didn't have one then technically he should not have been on the road and if he had been in full compliance with the law you would not have therefore hit him, resulting in damage to your car. If he didn't have one then sue the f**ker. I'm out on the roads for 12 hours a day and see hundreds, of which my guesstimate for those having bells would be less than 5%. The trendier the bike the less likely. Middle-aged geography teachers with helmet, trouser clips, ladies frame, panniers and flat brogues will definitely have one, Oakley shades, lycra bulge enhancers and carbon frames probably not. Anyone under 17, definitely not.
Old 08 August 2007, 09:51 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

holy duplicate posts batman..!!

We get the idea, you want to see his bell
Old 08 August 2007, 09:51 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

possibly the legal requirement - but get a grip

who the **** in a car is going to hear a bell above the engine,climate control, radio
Old 08 August 2007, 09:53 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Hear it or not, if he hasn't got one he shouldn't be on the road and thus any accident he is involved in is his fault for breaking the law in the first place.
Old 08 August 2007, 09:56 PM
2000 sport
Scooby Regular

afraid that makes no odds.. (whether he had a bell on his bike or not, he was still knocked off)

as has been said, a very unfortunate experience, but cars and bikes are easily replaced.. people are not !

what damage has been done to total a 2.5k repair bill..
Old 08 August 2007, 09:56 PM
spireite
BANNED

YouTube - Bicycle accident in Greece

was this you
Old 08 August 2007, 10:03 PM
Mk2_heaven
Scooby Regular

As far as the bell thing goes, its not law to have one fitted, but all new bikes sold, now have to have a bell, my mates £4500 Iron horse sunday world cup came with a bell and reflectors. on a Dh race bike
Old 08 August 2007, 10:16 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mk2_heaven
As far as the bell thing goes, its not law to have one fitted, but all new bikes sold, now have to have a bell, my mates £4500 Iron horse sunday world cup came with a bell and reflectors. on a Dh race bike
I have a bell on mine. People appreciate the warning 'ting, ting' when I'm appoaching from behind.

All bikes should have them - forget about whether it's 'cool' or not.
Old 09 August 2007, 07:54 AM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

Strange, my bike doesn't have a bell, but it does have a "shout" function. I don't even have to move my hands. It's quite good really.
Old 09 August 2007, 08:08 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Originally Posted by corradoboy
Did you check his bike to see if it was legal. Most real men cyclists think it's girly to have a bell on your bike, but it is a requirement in law.
I am a "real man cyclist" . Could ya please cut and paste or link to something official that confirms that is a legal requirement to have a bell on your bike? I would have thought it might be a "nice to have" in the highway code, or a "pat on the back" from your cycling profiency instructor, but a legal requirement? Intestesting...

My very nice mountain bike has one and I broke it with my mega muscles I cant believe I have ridden 2000 miles illegally. I am going to the cop shop tonight to hand myself in. If I get bird for this, let my family know for me. Tell them it was for the best
Old 09 August 2007, 08:47 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Corradoboy

You've made it pretty clear from this thread that cyclists don't rate very highly with you mate, so save us all the same pompous naive blinkered crap again please

https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...aaaargh-2.html

Chopper

Sounds like you've been totally decent to this guy........apart from knocking the poor bugger down

About time he got a helmet anyway, so you've maybe saved him from a much more serious injury later...

Hope you get over the shock of it all pretty quickly, not a nice thing to happen at all

Cycling through cities every day I assume that every car at every junction is likely to pull out and it's good sense for any city cyclist to adjust his speed and cover his brakes accordingly........great part of the responsibility lies with the cyclist to make sure he is seen and stays alive....

On my commute yesterday, this ***** of a cyclist (wearing black t-shirt with no helmet or hi viz clothing at all) says to me:

Him...you know you've left your lights on mate

Me Yup....that'll be so that people can see me

HimBut it's a sunny day

Me Yup....Motorbikes have to run with lights on all day and all year round, you think there may just be a reason for this ??

Last edited by SiPie; 09 August 2007 at 09:03 AM.
Old 09 August 2007, 11:29 AM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

At the point of sale (ie shops) bikes now have to come fitted with bells but there's no legal requirement for them to be fitted to bicycles no longer on shop display.

The Highway Code does not stipulate that bells must be used. It states: "Be considerate of other road users, particularly blind and partially sighted pedestrians. Let them know you are there when necessary, for example by ringing your bell."

Another 'audible warning device' is the human voice: a polite 'excuse me' can often come across as a lot less aggressive than the apparently insistent tinkling of a bell.

HTH.
Old 09 August 2007, 11:34 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

That was really bad luck for that to happen, glad for you that the results were not worse. It can be very difficult to see a cyclist, they get lost in window frames or behind the central rear view mirror at certain angles. Especially if the cyclist is pushing on a bit and cycles into you because he was not paying enough attention and riding defensively.

Hope the claims bit is not too hard on you or that you have to go through PSL's experience.

Les
Old 09 August 2007, 11:46 AM
ChrisB

My understanding too was that a new bike must be sold with a bell but the minute you step through the shop door, you can take it off.
Old 09 August 2007, 11:55 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

...and replace it with a claxon
Old 09 August 2007, 12:10 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

My understanding too was that a new bike must be sold with a bell but the minute you step through the shop door, you can take it off.
Yup ...AFAIK that is the case

Though cycling in Edinburgh during festival time with tourists under the misconception that every road is pedestrianised ..... dpb is right that you need something louder, a shotgun perhaps
Old 09 August 2007, 12:16 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
...and replace it with a claxon
Or buy a tricycle so you have the space to add one of these:

http://www.siegeengine.com/auctions/horn/horn.mpg

Quick Reply: Knocked a cyclist over today...