Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Best speed camera snooper

Search this Thread

Old 07 August 2007, 07:41 PM
cdfracing
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best speed camera snooper

Been meaning to get one for a while ... can anyone point me in the right direction for the best one to get that will pick up the little buggers hiding in the bushes anyone got a SNOOPER SYRIUS?
Old 07 August 2007, 07:44 PM
SteveScooby
Scooby Regular

Save yourself a few hundred quid and stick to the limit
Old 07 August 2007, 07:55 PM
cdfracing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SteveScooby
Not always that easy.... just been done for doing 77 in a 70
Old 07 August 2007, 07:59 PM
wrx-kris
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SteveScooby
Old 07 August 2007, 08:00 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

I think Id go for a GPS based unit, radar detectors are banned in many European countries (with very heavy fines or prison) and they are constantly looking to make them illegal here too.

Downside is GPS based ones wont catch mobile units, although some point out known mobile locations.

A radar detector will not pick up Truvello or SPECS camera and they do tend to go off falsly at automatic opening doors.

I have a Bell Euro 550, a well reviewed unit but I find Im normally just using my TomTom with camera POI database now.
Old 07 August 2007, 08:04 PM
cdfracing
Scooby Regular

How about a road angel plus ?? will pick up the mobile camera's but like you say it might be illegal soon ..... if it does though can't I just say I forgot to download the upgrade
Old 07 August 2007, 08:05 PM
haroldhettaturbo
Scooby Regular

Alot of the newer detectors that are gps and laser allow you to disable the laser part.

Fancy the new roadangel satnav/camera detector myself.

got a road angel classic of ebay 40quid.
Old 07 August 2007, 08:19 PM
cdfracing
Scooby Regular

Just talking to a guy at the mo on ebay that sells the road angel plus the cheapest .... £189. wonder if we can work out a group buy discount on a few?
Old 07 August 2007, 08:32 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

I'd like one something to help me, but I think one combined with satnav sounds the best. Seems silly to pay for the technology twice (one satnav, one camera thingy). I'd be interested in one of those that claims to update the known position of mobile speed cameras using an in built GPRS system.
Old 07 August 2007, 09:40 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

Talex Lite is around £60 on ebay and has every fixed camera and mobile camera site in the country on it's database.

It's fully GPS based so won't be illegal in a few months like the radar detectors.

Talex | Speed Camera Detection System
Old 07 August 2007, 09:52 PM
cdfracing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul3446
Talex Lite is around £60 on ebay and has every fixed camera and mobile camera site in the country on it's database.

It's fully GPS based so won't be illegal in a few months like the radar detectors.

Talex | Speed Camera Detection System

Seems quite good! cheers
Old 08 August 2007, 12:59 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

I've just got a new Pogo alert. Comes from what used to be Origin, the company that bought you the Origin B2. Really neat little device with colour screen. Pogo.

Best bit is in specs cameras, gives you your speed, speed limit and the average speed since the last camera, obvious really but very clever. Seriously impressed.

They also do a combined with navigation unit, Pogo drive I think. Personally not a fan of combined units, I've got a Garmin Nuvi that claims to have the cyclops speed camera database in but it's rubbish compared with a purpose built camera "detector". Then also I can't believe a device designed to be a camera alerter can do as good a job at sat nav as a purpose designed device like a Garmin.
Old 08 August 2007, 12:59 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Snoopers are GPS based aren' t they. I have got the original one which is still working well but I thought the Sirius combined Sat Nav with the radar cam indications and the radar detector.

Les
Old 08 August 2007, 02:24 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chelspeed
I've just got a new Pogo alert. Comes from what used to be Origin, the company that bought you the Origin B2. Really neat little device with colour screen. Pogo.

Best bit is in specs cameras, gives you your speed, speed limit and the average speed since the last camera, obvious really but very clever. Seriously impressed.

They also do a combined with navigation unit, Pogo drive I think. Personally not a fan of combined units, I've got a Garmin Nuvi that claims to have the cyclops speed camera database in but it's rubbish compared with a purpose built camera "detector". Then also I can't believe a device designed to be a camera alerter can do as good a job at sat nav as a purpose designed device like a Garmin.
What do you not like about your combined satnav and speed trap detector? Garmin are meant to be good. I'd like to hear about these things before I spend too much cash on something that is not that good
Old 08 August 2007, 02:58 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

That sounds really good

I am just trying to get my head around what these different things offer. The Pogo does not mention any ability to update the road network, or list what sort of maps are available. Roads do change, so unless you can update it will slowly become less useful.

Then again, those concerns could apply to the dedicated Sat Nav system. There so many things that I have to consider before I get one :s
Old 08 August 2007, 03:03 PM
scousefly
Scooby Regular

Default I

Got Snooper S6-R neo with RLD as well, gps based reliable and the RLD detects scamera vans as well. Paid about £340 for everything and whilst Ive not needed it to 'save' me it always nice for a heads up
Old 08 August 2007, 03:08 PM
scousefly
Scooby Regular

Default Actually

Im lying It cost £189 plus £9 postage from ebay brand spanking.
Old 08 August 2007, 03:09 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

Originally Posted by scousefly
Got Snooper S6-R neo with RLD as well, gps based reliable and the RLD detects scamera vans as well. Paid about £340 for everything and whilst Ive not needed it to 'save' me it always nice for a heads up
I paid 80 quid for one of them off ebay a while back!

Too many wires and pissing about so I gave it the boss
Old 08 August 2007, 06:48 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

> What do you not like about your combined satnav and speed trap detector?

It seems to alert equally for every "potential" camera site. That means virtually every layby on every A road. That's annoying enough but harmless. But when you're doing anything else, searching for an address, selecting a way point to head for or whatever, then the alert is full screen and interrupts what you're doing, really annoying. Would be OK if it only came up for real cameras but when it's 5 times a mile it's such a pain I turned it off.

Never got round to finding out how to update it either when the origin was a piece of p*ss to update.

If you have no dedicated speed trap detector then I guess the Garmin's camera database would be better than nothing but I already had an origin B2 and the garmin's speed camera alerts were very unfocussed in comparison.

Hope that helps.
Old 08 August 2007, 07:02 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

thanks, yes it does help.

It does seem at the moment there is no system that really does it all well. There are Satnav systems that seem to give little more than a token gesture to speed traps. Maybe one of the speed trap ones will have good SatNav....I can forsee me doing a lot of research on this.
Old 08 August 2007, 08:20 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Just been reading around and the Road Angel Navigator 7000 has just done really well. Review is here, and its about £50 cheaper than the review suggests from a quick search. Auto Express UK Speed Trap Detectors Product Test April 2005 | AutoExpress

The 7000 does not have a GPRS mobile built into it (as most don't). This means that it does not get up to date traffic information, so you will not know if the road ahead is blocked. In addition, and updates will have to be done at home on the PC.

The 9000 is the all singing and dancing jobbie. It updates itself via mobile phone, and also gets traffic updates the same way. Costly though. It also makes the claim that it can update itself to show mobile cameras as they move around via its GPRS capability...not sure on that one though.
Old 08 August 2007, 09:08 PM
rossi_classicwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cdfracing
Not always that easy.... just been done for doing 77 in a 70
Thats really harsh and against police guidelines from what i remember. I looked on the net and found that the guidelines state that they should give you 10% and 2mph so should let you off for up to 78 and only start prosecuting at 79. Although that is only guidelines and so i guess they could do you for 72 if they really wanted
Old 08 August 2007, 09:19 PM
MRSIMPSON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Evening, I got the Tom Tom One Europe, its done a good job of both camera's and navigation so far. The alerts are sound alerts and a small icon over the camera on the map.
Old 08 August 2007, 09:57 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MRSIMPSON
Evening, I got the Tom Tom One Europe, its done a good job of both camera's and navigation so far. The alerts are sound alerts and a small icon over the camera on the map.
How does the database get updates of new cameras?
Does the alert go off if you are under the speed limit?
Are the alerts directional - you know for those cameras that only are on one side of a dual carriageway?

sorry for all the q's
Old 08 August 2007, 10:03 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

I've just bought the new PogoDrive unit from Origin- mentioned earlier in the thread.

It should be here tomorrow so I'll let you know what its like compared with my TomTom 910.
Old 08 August 2007, 10:04 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

cool thanks