Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Gardening (oh no!) need some help with....

Search this Thread

Old 03 August 2007, 08:52 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gardening (oh no!) need some help with....

.....with automatic sprinklers!

Have 2 kinds in the garden, and need to have just one system.

Need some assistance with some tubing issues and the best kind of 180/360 sprinklers.....

Ta
Old 03 August 2007, 08:53 PM
Nido
Scooby Regular

Fire away!
Old 03 August 2007, 09:00 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

I have two systems which are supplied/controlled by the same water/timer.

One of them, the better one is the turbo-driven pop-up version, and the second is the crappy static system which is a fragile.

Basically I just want to use the pop-up kind, but was wondering if it is a hassle to replace the static kind, which would mean digging up the lawn to install the the pop-up version, and if the tubing is standard (width) to work with the new system installed?

(Make any sense? )

Old 03 August 2007, 09:18 PM
Nido
Scooby Regular

I assume by turbo-driven you mean the pop up type that are internally driven by the water pressure to slowly rotate the spraying nozzle through a selectable angle?

Not quite sure what you mean by "static", do you mean the smaller heads that pop up from the ground and spray out of a fixed head (a much finer spray than the first typr you mention)?
Old 03 August 2007, 09:20 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nido
I assume by turbo-driven you mean the type that are internally driven by the water pressure to slowly rotate the spraying nozzle through a selectable angle?

Not quite sure what you mean by "static", do you mean the smaller heads that pop up from the ground and spray out of a fixed head (a much finer spray than the first typr you mention)?
Static, in this case meaning a plastic support that is shoved in the ground and then the water is fed through a tube on the outside, and as such is totally crap and prone to getting clogged and getting it's head knocked off!
Old 03 August 2007, 09:35 PM
Nido
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Janspeed
Static, in this case meaning a plastic support that is shoved in the ground and then the water is fed through a tube on the outside, and as such is totally crap and prone to getting clogged and getting it's head knocked off!
Ahh, OK. They are quite unsual because they are,as you say, crap.

It all depends on what type of pipework you have in the ground, and what the water pressure is like.

The gear driven pop up ones will usually be run from 25mm pipe (although 20/32/40 is all possible). At each sprinkler point the pipe will have a T put in with (usually) a 3/4 inch female thread for the sprinkler to screw into. This thread may be male, and may be 1/2 inch also, there are so many differernt ways of doing it

To adapt your static system you'll need to dig down around one of them and see what/how it is connected. If it is suitable pipe but the wrong connection it will just be a case of putting a new connection on. You may find that the static ones require less pressure to function, hence why they were put there in the first place. The new sprinklers may need more pressure, and normally you'd be looking at 4 or so of these on one 25mm circuit to ensure proper functioning. If you need more you may have to install addtional shut of valves in the existing pipework to split it into a number of circuits.

It's one of those things that without seeing it it's difficult to advise as there are so many variables!!
Old 03 August 2007, 10:05 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

OIC! OK, in the morrow I will get some concrete details on the piping and anything else relevant!

Thanks for the help, speak later!
Old 05 August 2007, 09:52 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Well the secondary piping is 4mm (static sprinklers) which for Turbo sprinklers is a no go situation......need at least 16mm and a good pump from what I gathered!

The builder will be sleeping with the fish 2morrow!
Old 06 August 2007, 01:57 AM
Nido
Scooby Regular

Well the secondary piping is 4mm (static sprinklers) which for Turbo sprinklers is a no go situation......need at least 16mm and a good pump from what I gathered!

The builder will be sleeping with the fish 2morrow!

Yep, that's no good at all

TBH 16mm is a little small, and you'll not find many suitable connections at that size.

20/25 is the norm for a household sysytem, and you'll get around 4/5 units running on each circuit.

A pump is only needed if you have truely terrible water pressure, a number of circuits with an electronic timer & automatic valves is by far the cheaper and easier option. Also this can be set to run during the night, this is best for the grass and the water pressure will be higher then
Old 06 August 2007, 07:30 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

20/25? Damn, that is going to require a Caterpillar digger and some dynamite!!

Will update again once there is news, hopefully soon!
Old 06 August 2007, 08:39 PM
Nido
Scooby Regular

20/25? Damn, that is going to require a Caterpillar digger and some dynamite!!

Will update again once there is news, hopefully soon!
It's got to be done I'm afraid!

You'll not only be short of flow rate with 16mm pipe, but the tube itself is too weak for such an application. 16mm is for drip lines, not sprinklers!

20/25mm pipe has a much stiffer sidewall, this stops the pipe becoming piched when underground.
Old 06 August 2007, 10:30 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny you should bring this up. I've just about done our front garden.

Can't believe that you or someone have tried to water a lawn with 4mm stuff

A lesson from my experience - if you want the spray to reach further than 3m, don't mess about with the 5-10euro little turbines which say they do up to 8m, as they don't. I bought about five before I got one of the 17euro jobs which does the job properly. The little ones either don't reach, or if static they reach but leave green "fingers" on the lawn after about 3m, corresponding to the non-rotating jets. And I have water pressure that blows 7bar safety valves.

I buried 40mm tube along my patio and garden, so changing the 20mm hose inside it when necessary is a doddle, only digging necessary is round the sprinkler jets themselves.

And don't forget to buy a two-headed garden tap so you can leave the timer and watering system on one, and still use the other for standard hose or washing work.
Old 09 August 2007, 05:55 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
Funny you should bring this up. I've just about done our front garden.

Can't believe that you or someone have tried to water a lawn with 4mm stuff

A lesson from my experience - if you want the spray to reach further than 3m, don't mess about with the 5-10euro little turbines which say they do up to 8m, as they don't. I bought about five before I got one of the 17euro jobs which does the job properly. The little ones either don't reach, or if static they reach but leave green "fingers" on the lawn after about 3m, corresponding to the non-rotating jets. And I have water pressure that blows 7bar safety valves.

I buried 40mm tube along my patio and garden, so changing the 20mm hose inside it when necessary is a doddle, only digging necessary is round the sprinkler jets themselves.

And don't forget to buy a two-headed garden tap so you can leave the timer and watering system on one, and still use the other for standard hose or washing work.
Thanks for the info, and I have checked the other half of the garden and it is up to scratch, with proper pipes and all.

The "crap" half looks like it is going to really need a real good seeing to!

Again thanks for the info, any more news and I'll pop up and drop a line.

Ta!
Old 09 August 2007, 11:05 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Post script - I just found that 2 turbines inline didn't work Have had to remove one and reposition the other to the centre to cover all the area. And that's with the water pressure I was bragging about

Top tip - lay your hoses out on top of the lawn and switch it on before digging and burying everything
Old 10 August 2007, 07:42 AM
Nido
Scooby Regular

Brendan - two turbines inline should easily work with the high water pressure you were talking about, "normal" water pressure will allow at least 3 to be used on the same line, sometimes 4 or 5. It may have been that you had too large a nozzle on your first turbine, taking all the pressure out of the system. You don't want to go much more than 3mm on the nozzle size, this will still allow for at least a 8m diameter of spray from the nozzle site.

Also from the sounds of your application you may want to run 25mm pipe inside your 40. It's amazing the difference that extra 5mm makes with maintaining the flow rates!
Old 10 August 2007, 02:48 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Ummmm, good info, going to stick to 3 turbines then, not the 4-5 I was thinking of before!