ADVICE ON ELECTRITIONS COURSE

Search this Thread

Old 30 July 2007, 04:14 PM
TURBOTRONICS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ADVICE ON ELECTRITIONS COURSE

Hi all
I want to become a fully qualified electrician.
What qualifications do I need?
I have had some experience within my job but have nothing on paper.
I have emailed my local collages on what courses are available in the evenings but they have all come back with nothing for the evening’s only part time day release which is no good for me as I work full time.
The other question is how do I find out how for on my skills are that iv picked up over the years?
I have asked the collages if they have any sample exam papers that I could have a look at but as yet I have had nothing back.
Any advice would be gratefully received thanks
Old 30 July 2007, 04:28 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Depends what you want to do and at what level.

To work for me you would need to have completed a time served apprenticeship (Usually four years) and be educated to HNC or equivalent. You would then need a further six months before we let you start isolating for yourself and if you make the grade a couple of years before we let you work on high voltage stuff and isolate for others.

If you want to be a cowboy house wire monkey then a quick 16th edition course and rip people off to your hearts content.
You will need to comply with part P of the building regs if you want your installations to be legal. This involves having your work inspected and tested by a qualified body or taking the part P side yourself.

Cheers
Lee
Old 30 July 2007, 04:34 PM
Sexy babe with Scooby xxx
Scooby Regular

You need to learn to spell it first honey

ELECTRITIONS
= Electricians.

xxx xxx
Old 30 July 2007, 04:54 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sexy babe with Scooby xxx
You need to learn to spell it first honey

= Electricians.

xxx xxx
Didn't like to mention that.

Cheers
Lee
Old 30 July 2007, 04:56 PM
TURBOTRONICS
Scooby Regular

Spellings not my strong point
Logiclee. What I want to do is to be able to work for my self eventually not on high voltage stuff but be able to earn enough money to get by. I don’t want to be a cowboy as I have pride in the work that I actually do now which I suppose you could call panel building of sorts that involves computers of a sort I know it’s a bit vague but most people wouldn’t understand what I do for a job. Any way more to the point I need a change of job and would like to head in the electricians root as I seem to understand quite a bit of it but advisedly not it all. Thanks for the advice
Old 30 July 2007, 05:06 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

So is it house wiring you are interested in doing or something more industrial?

The starting point is going to be taking the 16th edition course I think.

Employers are also starting to employ more mature people on apprenticeship schemes so that may be an option to you although the BTech/HNC courses are A level standard so you would need to be prepared for the studying and theory as well.

If you do go down the self employed route then once you are up and going you will hit the Part P problem. Part P involves exams, having your work inspected and a rip off yearly fee.

Following on from that you could do an inspection and testing course for more work but that's way off and the pass rate is low.

Start with the 16th edition course and try and get some experience.

Cheers
Lee
Old 30 July 2007, 05:42 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by logiclee
So is it house wiring you are interested in doing or something more industrial?

The starting point is going to be taking the 16th edition course I think.

Employers are also starting to employ more mature people on apprenticeship schemes so that may be an option to you although the BTech/HNC courses are A level standard so you would need to be prepared for the studying and theory as well.

If you do go down the self employed route then once you are up and going you will hit the Part P problem. Part P involves exams, having your work inspected and a rip off yearly fee.

Following on from that you could do an inspection and testing course for more work but that's way off and the pass rate is low.

Start with the 16th edition course and try and get some experience.

Cheers
Lee
16th edition is nearly obsolete 17th edition is out in June 2008
Old 30 July 2007, 05:43 PM
TURBOTRONICS
Scooby Regular

Thanks mate. I can quite easily rewire a house of moderate size iv even helped my mate rewire the back half of our factory including the DB he just connected it up to the mains once id done and tested it he seemed quite imprested with what id done.
I just need to find some where learn some more now I know what qualifications I need to start with
Old 30 July 2007, 05:55 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TURBOTRONICS
Thanks mate. I can quite easily rewire a house of moderate size iv even helped my mate rewire the back half of our factory including the DB he just connected it up to the mains once id done and tested it he seemed quite imprested with what id done.
I just need to find some where learn some more now I know what qualifications I need to start with

All certified I hope
Old 30 July 2007, 06:25 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kingofturds
16th edition is nearly obsolete 17th edition is out in June 2008
Sure is.
Old 30 July 2007, 08:01 PM
gtijames
Scooby Regular

my qualifications are as follows, city+guilds 2360 part 1+2 electrical installation with nvq level1+2,c+g 2391 inspection and testing.i would say this is about the average for most domestic sparkies,level 3 nvq ,AM2 and 16th edition (17th edition coming soon!) are all desireable the first two especially if you want to do industrial work or work for a JIB company,most people take around the 3 year mark to get qualified.hope this helps.
Old 31 July 2007, 08:50 AM
TURBOTRONICS
Scooby Regular

is this any good or is it just bull Electrical training courses, electrician courses
Old 31 July 2007, 10:24 AM
RichardS2005
Scooby Regular

Default Learndirect Forums

You could try asking here:
https://forums.learndirect.co.uk/jiveforums/index.jspa

They have careers advisers contributing and I am sure they will have some good advice.

Also they have these job profiles which give good info on the job
learndirect - Search Results for 'electrician'
Old 31 July 2007, 04:36 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

Originally Posted by logiclee
Depends what you want to do and at what level.

To work for me you would need to have completed a time served apprenticeship (Usually four years) and be educated to HNC or equivalent. You would then need a further six months before we let you start isolating for yourself and if you make the grade a couple of years before we let you work on high voltage stuff and isolate for others.

If you want to be a cowboy house wire monkey then a quick 16th edition course and rip people off to your hearts content.
You will need to comply with part P of the building regs if you want your installations to be legal. This involves having your work inspected and tested by a qualified body or taking the part P side yourself.

Cheers
Lee
What an utter **** you are.

First, he didn't ask how to be a HV test engineer, though you felt an overwhelming urge to lord it, and tell us how good you are, and what he would have to acchieve to get it. God, your'e ace , can I have a job ?

Secondly, not all sparks that work the domestic side are 'cowboy house wire monkeys' as you so eloquently put it, nor does it automatically mean they will be in the habit of ripping people off ( that only applies to CORGI plumbers ). I know good sparks that choose the domestic path, I know others that stick with industrial, commercial, or C&I....each to their own.

Turbo.....what is your current job? Why not change to an electricians mate / late starter? When I were a lad these sort of people were always popular with the company..the Co get someone that is a bit more mature so their investment in you is more secure..i.e, you are not likely to bin it after 6 months to go and work the bins with your mate dave who takes home £25 a week more.

JIB rates for mates/labourers are not as bad as you might think. At least that way you could do the day release for G&G or whatever it is these days.
Old 31 July 2007, 08:11 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip Sengravy
What an utter **** you are.

First, he didn't ask how to be a HV test engineer, though you felt an overwhelming urge to lord it, and tell us how good you are, and what he would have to acchieve to get it. God, your'e ace , can I have a job ?

Secondly, not all sparks that work the domestic side are 'cowboy house wire monkeys' as you so eloquently put it, nor does it automatically mean they will be in the habit of ripping people off ( that only applies to CORGI plumbers ). I know good sparks that choose the domestic path, I know others that stick with industrial, commercial, or C&I....each to their own.

You missed my point.

He asked how to be a fully qualified Electrician and as in most professions there are two ends of the spectrum. Before any real advice could be given we needed a feel for where he wanted to be and what he wanted to do.
After Turbo's reply then direct advice was offered by myself and others and I hope he achieves his wish.
Some panel wirers, industrial electrical labourers and electrical fitters have more knowledge and skill than some domestic sparks I know so Turbotronics may have the head start he needs.

And finaly,
Yes I am ace and no you can't have my job.
And I'm not an HV test engineer.

Cheers
Lee

Last edited by logiclee; 31 July 2007 at 08:15 PM.
Old 01 August 2007, 08:51 AM
TURBOTRONICS
Scooby Regular

Chip sengravy thanks for the reply im an animatronic engineer at the moment and have been for the last 19 years but unfortunately it looks like I might not have a job in about 12 months as the contract on the building we are in will be up for renewal and there is only 3 of us in the r&d department. There doesn’t seem to be many jobs in this area for animatronic engineers and as I have a close family I don’t want to relocate.
My job consists of linking maps systems (computers if you don’t know) to animations that I have to build myself you may very well seem some of my more famous work such as PUFFING BILLY. You would mostly see them at Christmas time in shopping centres along with our Santa’s grottos. Over the years I have done a lot of work with electrics as most of the stuff I make runs of 230vac and it seems like a good idea to continue down that root to be honest unless any one can suggest a better root to follow. Electrics seems to be like second nature to me the only thing I don’t get is the bloody twin landing light switches but with enough practice I should pick it up in no time. I think it would be a good idea if I could get a weekend job labouring for a sparky I could learn so much more actually doing the job