Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

CCTV in place for our safety ...

Search this Thread

Old 22 July 2007, 02:42 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry CCTV in place for our safety ...

... why then is it used to issue people with parking tickets My brother in law got a ticket for parking wrongly in London the other day, £120 fine! The ticket came with a photo taken from CCTV footage! With so many cameras installed around the UK now what a wonderful opportunity to hit the mug motorists for some more cash ...

TX.
Old 22 July 2007, 09:54 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Don't they use cctv to catch bus lane mis-use? The fine seems a tad steep to be just a single yellow violation. Was this in fact a bus lane violation here?
Old 22 July 2007, 10:09 PM
LC Geezer
Scooby Regular

Because people parked in stupid places can cause crashes/problems for emergency vehicles/pedestrians/yada yada yada?
Old 23 July 2007, 12:17 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

I'm not that bothered as to why, it's the principle. CCTV was installed for safety reasons ie to protect Joe Public & now that we've got fecking millions of em around the UK, they start to get used to issue us with tickets

Where will it end ... tickets for dropping litter.

TX.
Old 23 July 2007, 12:20 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Oh & while I'm raging ...

Another one I heard is that roadside parking meters seem to be mostly pay with card details rather than cash. You enter your card details by sending a text. When your space is close to running out of time you get a text telling you so. Nice of them to remind you eh? Trouble is they also text the local traffic wardens who now now where you are parked & that your time is almost up!

TX.
Old 23 July 2007, 06:49 AM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Terminator X
Where will it end ... tickets for dropping litter.

TX.
Hopefully, yes!
Old 23 July 2007, 08:04 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Suresh
Hopefully, yes!
Maybe they can fit remote controlled sniper rifles to take out the littering scumbags

Last edited by what would scooby do; 23 July 2007 at 10:00 AM.
Old 23 July 2007, 09:33 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

I think it's a great use of the cameras when nothing is else is a happening... More publicity should make bad drivers think twice about parking like a wombat in future...
Hopefully fines for littering will also be a result of CCTV along with the usual assaults etc...
Stopping anything illegal... It's all good
Old 23 July 2007, 09:36 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

The problem with automated systems is that they take out any discretion.
Old 23 July 2007, 09:45 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Originally Posted by Abdabz
Stopping anything illegal... It's all good
Something legal today might be illegal tomorrow. For example, if you're a smoker walking down the street now you're fine. In a few years from now they might ban smoking in public (some councils are already trying to ban smoking in parks). CCTV picks you up smoking in public then you'll be fined etc.

Smoking might be a bad example on here due to some members previous postings, but substitute smoking with some other legal activily right now. How about a 10 pm curfew for everyone? Make it illegal to be out after 10 pm, it's all good though ain't it 'cause it's the law right?
Old 23 July 2007, 09:53 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Terminator X
... why then is it used to issue people with parking tickets My brother in law got a ticket for parking wrongly in London the other day, £120 fine! The ticket came with a photo taken from CCTV footage! With so many cameras installed around the UK now what a wonderful opportunity to hit the mug motorists for some more cash ...

TX.
Been doing this for a while now, al to do with collecting money from those who they know will pay even if they cannot afford it!

CCTV makes up for the lack of cops n the ground - simple as that! The CCTV systems should be part of an intergrated policing strategy, sadly it is relied on to do the work of the cops in many cases and save money for this govenment to waste elsewhere - IMHO

We as a nation of decent law abiding peole are being ****ed over whilst the chave and scumbags that do get caught do not have (often do, but do not appear to) the means to pay and get away with it, simple as that!
Old 23 July 2007, 01:26 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
Been doing this for a while now, al to do with collecting money from those who they know will pay even if they cannot afford it!

CCTV makes up for the lack of cops n the ground - simple as that! The CCTV systems should be part of an intergrated policing strategy, sadly it is relied on to do the work of the cops in many cases and save money for this govenment to waste elsewhere - IMHO

We as a nation of decent law abiding peole are being ****ed over whilst the chave and scumbags that do get caught do not have (often do, but do not appear to) the means to pay and get away with it, simple as that!
Saved me having to say it!

Les
Old 23 July 2007, 01:45 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
The problem with automated systems is that they take out any discretion.
Exactly. Example: car dies, you coast to dside of road. Couple of minutes later it starts again and off you go. Meanwhile your fine is in the post

This type of enforcement can also have the opposite effect to that intended. Yellow box monitoring by camera in London increased congestion because no-one dared enter a box in case the vehicles in front stopped. In stead of free flowing traffic it all went stop-start as only single vehicles would cross the box.
Old 23 July 2007, 01:48 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by speedking
Exactly. Example: car dies, you coast to dside of road. Couple of minutes later it starts again and off you go. Meanwhile your fine is in the post

This type of enforcement can also have the opposite effect to that intended. Yellow box monitoring by camera in London increased congestion because no-one dared enter a box in case the vehicles in front stopped. In stead of free flowing traffic it all went stop-start as only single vehicles would cross the box.
I would actually go further than that for box junctions. I am convinced that 70% of the population just think they are solely there for decorative purposes.

I would set up some form of flamethrower that toasted anybody that was stationary in a box junction.
Old 23 July 2007, 01:54 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

I'd rather the system focus on untaxed/uninsured/unMOTd cars as the top priority.

They have the capebility but aren't used to anywhere near their potential;

I presume getting parking fines from motorists who do tax/mot/insure their cars is alot easier than getting the UK scum (and non-UK scum ) off the roads.
Old 23 July 2007, 02:02 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shark Man
I'd rather the system focus on untaxed/uninsured/unMOTd cars as the top priority.

They have the capebility but aren't used to anywhere near their potential;

I presume getting parking fines from motorists who do tax/mot/insure their cars is alot easier than getting the UK scum (and non-UK scum ) off the roads.
I wouldn't say that, untaxed cars, especially are automatically flagged these days. You simply cannot get away with having a car on the road with no tax - that never used to tbe the case.

The same is starting to apply with MoT/insurance.
Old 23 July 2007, 02:05 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Yes, but its not their top priority, and thats my gripe...parking still takes precidence in many cities.
Old 23 July 2007, 02:08 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Edinburgh Council already use CCTV to do people for littering. They have mobile vans that take pictures as evidence. Everyone tries to deny it, saying they don't smoke etc so producing an image of them chucking their tab ends down usually sorts that out. Also used to prosecute dog owners for not clearing up the crap.

On the untaxed car front it is getting harder to do but not impossible. Car near us has been out of tax for two years. They've just taxed it but hardly known for moving quickly at the DVLA and a lot of untaxed/uninsured cars are running around with stolen plates for that reason.

5t.
Old 23 July 2007, 02:10 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shark Man
Yes, but its not their top priority, and thats my gripe...parking still takes precidence in many cities.
Yep, I guess you're right. Quick and easy revenue getter that goes to the council coffers and not central treasury as with car tax evaders.