Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Sewers and Water Drainage - rodding point

Search this Thread

Old 21 July 2007, 12:21 PM
Kevin Mc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Sewers and Water Drainage - rodding point

On a typical housing estate, are there two separate systems for sewers and water drainage?

I'd guess that they merge into one at some point, though I've no idea.

My reason for asking is that we have a problem with water collecting on our patio, and we want some drainage putting in to clear it.

We've had three lots of people out who have all said completely different things in how to resolve this.

One said that we could not connect a new drain (for rainwater from the patio) to the drain where the rodding point was, because that was part of the sewerage system. Another said that he would connect the drain to this rodding point. He had looked into the rodding point to "see if it was deep enough".

Can the drain be connected to the rodding point? Last thing we want is sewage backing up as it can't handle the deluge of rainwater!

We do have a downpipe from some guttering which disappears into the ground, and we did ask if they could connect drainage to this, but all seemed to discount that idea without explanation???
Old 21 July 2007, 12:26 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

I've got an older property - so probably things are different now - but we only have one drainage system - it goes from the back of the garage at one side all the way round the back of the house and round the other side to the main sewer - collects everything.

From a practical point of view I would have thought extra water flushing through your sewer pipe would help flush away any build up that might potentially cause problems...

Mick
Old 21 July 2007, 08:59 PM
cuttsysti
Scooby Regular

You will definitley have two separate drainage systems. The surface water you have on the patio shouldn't really be directed into the foul drainage system as this is for sewage, ie, sink and bathroom waste. Depending on your location though and how your sewage waste is disposed of then you could do it, but your local authority would view this disapprovingly as they are the ones who would have to treat the extra water. Your best bet is to connect the new drainage into the existing rainwater drains but i'm geussing the builders you've spoke to don't want to do this as it involves more work.
Old 21 July 2007, 09:24 PM
Mk2_heaven
Scooby Regular

no option of a gravel soakaway?
Old 22 July 2007, 01:16 AM
totalllama
Scooby Regular

My house was built in 2000, Gutters and all soil drains into the same pipe at the front of the house.

Simply put there is only Fresh and Soil water systems (look at your council tax bill), there is not 2 drainage systems i.e. rain water and soiled water. everything that goes down the drain goes to the same place.

@cuttsyst: even connecting to the rain water drains will lead to the same place, main sewer.
Old 22 July 2007, 09:11 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kevin Mc
On a typical housing estate, are there two separate systems for sewers and water drainage?

I'd guess that they merge into one at some point, though I've no idea.

My reason for asking is that we have a problem with water collecting on our patio, and we want some drainage putting in to clear it.

We've had three lots of people out who have all said completely different things in how to resolve this.

One said that we could not connect a new drain (for rainwater from the patio) to the drain where the rodding point was, because that was part of the sewerage system. Another said that he would connect the drain to this rodding point. He had looked into the rodding point to "see if it was deep enough".

Can the drain be connected to the rodding point? Last thing we want is sewage backing up as it can't handle the deluge of rainwater!

We do have a downpipe from some guttering which disappears into the ground, and we did ask if they could connect drainage to this, but all seemed to discount that idea without explanation???
By rodding point do you mean a manhole with various drains pipes entering and leaving at some point below ground level? You should be able to work out from directions of pipes what is doing what i.e. outlet from sinks and possibly from rainwater guttering although the guttering may just be leading to a soakaway on its own.

I can't see why you can't feed a patio drain into this and it would be hard to see how a drop or two of patio water would overload the system (people in Worcestershire might disagree though ). Of course you would need a fall between your patio level and the manhole/drain.

But, depending on your ground conditions, I think I would try a soakaway just off the patio somewhere which is going to be a lot cheaper. When we laid our patio slabs we left some gaps in the joints for water to drain which works well if you stop the weeds coming through!

There may even be byelaws about drainage so best not to ask.......

When these hoards of builders come out to see what can be done ask them to give you a rough sketch of the drains layout and indicate what they are planning.

Or get some boots....... dl
Old 22 July 2007, 09:52 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Simply put there is only Fresh and Soil water systems (look at your council tax bill), there is not 2 drainage systems i.e. rain water and soiled water. everything that goes down the drain goes to the same place.

@cuttsyst: even connecting to the rain water drains will lead to the same place, main sewer."

Tosh.

There can be separte foul and surface water systems as well as combined systems.

Foul sewers will go to the local sewage tretament works, surface water sewers will discharge to a local watercourse without any treatment. If you start putting pipe connections to the wrong pipe system then problems will happen.

Combined foul and surface water swers do exists but they are old fashioned and have been causing problems with overloading and flooding for several decades. They were not built to take the vast amount of hardstanding and roofs of large housing estates that have now built up. Their overloading may well have contributed towards the recent flooding problems.

To avoid any confusion, find out who is responsible for the public sewers in your street and get thier advice about what you can and connect to.

I'd go with Davids recommendation of a soakaway if the soil conditions are right.

Nick
Old 22 July 2007, 09:57 AM
chris dt
Scooby Regular

yhpm
Old 22 July 2007, 10:55 AM
POC
Scooby Regular

Yup, soakaway all day long, should be cheaper too
Old 22 July 2007, 11:33 AM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

Originally Posted by Kevin Mc

Well they will, won't they..it's the easiest option. No bunce in it.

The gravel soakaway is a good idea, you could also create a small sump and pop a summersible pump in it. I have similar in my cellar, the sump is an old washing machine drum cast into the floor. These work well, as there is a peak at the back of the drum which keeps all heavy solids away from the pump.

I just had to change my pump after about 5 years...a new one cost me 15 quid from the local harware shop.
Old 22 July 2007, 11:56 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip Sengravy
Well they will, won't they..it's the easiest option. No bunce in it.

The gravel soakaway is a good idea, you could also create a small sump and pop a summersible pump in it. I have similar in my cellar, the sump is an old washing machine drum cast into the floor. These work well, as there is a peak at the back of the drum which keeps all heavy solids away from the pump.

I just had to change my pump after about 5 years...a new one cost me 15 quid from the local harware shop.
There's just the tiny detail of where you pump the water to?
Old 22 July 2007, 12:03 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

Good point, well made!

personally I'd run some alcathene water pipe under the flags or gasrden border, and stick it into the rainwater drain.
Old 22 July 2007, 12:56 PM
cuttsysti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by totalllama
My house was built in 2000, Gutters and all soil drains into the same pipe at the front of the house.

Simply put there is only Fresh and Soil water systems (look at your council tax bill), there is not 2 drainage systems i.e. rain water and soiled water. everything that goes down the drain goes to the same place.

@cuttsyst: even connecting to the rain water drains will lead to the same place, main sewer.
Unless it is a fairly old property, there will be two separate drains for storm and foul water. Sewage will run in the foul system, and rainwater in the storm system. As others have said though, if you have the space then some kind of soakaway should work fine.