Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Recommend me some good trees to put in the back garden.

Search this Thread

Old 16 July 2007, 11:15 AM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommend me some good trees to put in the back garden.

Picture of Japanese Maple acer palmatum Bloodgood.

I bought one of these the other day. Its a Japanese Maple which should give colour all year round. Anyone recommend any others. I'm not into stuff that flowers, rather something that holds its colour.
Old 16 July 2007, 11:17 AM
paulr
Scooby Regular

What about getting seeds off Ebay, anyone done it?
Old 16 July 2007, 11:20 AM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Prunus Nigra is a good one, with blossom and leaf it gives 9 months out of 12 of interest. Bloodgood is really nice I I have one) but takes time to reach a height more than what could be called a shrub.

This is my garden, I like trees

Old 16 July 2007, 11:31 AM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you want to get that camra fixed, looks like a shutter stutter to me
Old 16 July 2007, 11:44 AM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 53WRX
Prunus Nigra is a good one, with blossom and leaf it gives 9 months out of 12 of interest. Bloodgood is really nice I I have one) but takes time to reach a height more than what could be called a shrub.

This is my garden, I like trees

Thats your garden.Whats nice is that although it looks pretty full, none of them are out of control. I like stuff thats maintenance free.
Old 16 July 2007, 11:55 AM
Scooby Senior

This is a thread I did on another forum which might help.

Gardeners Corner - UK Gardening Forum: Bananamans Trees

Bloodgood is a great choice, be patient and it will reward you.

I grow it in shade with another acer Shirasawanum 'Aureum'

Old 16 July 2007, 12:29 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info. You certainly seem to know what you are talking about. Whats the best way to buy them. The Maple i bought was a one foot tall baby tree for £15 from the local garden centre.

Trending Topics

Old 16 July 2007, 12:48 PM
Scooby Senior

Local Garden Centres are your best bet, small family run ones are surprisingly good and often have hidden gems round the back. If you see one that fits the bill and has a nice habit its good to snap them up. Some of the speed grown ones can be a bit bendy and contorted. We are spoilt for choice in terms of quality tree outlets, but for mature specimens you would do well to find somewhere like Tree Heritage supplier of Trees and Shrubs who I visited and had deliver a mature prunus nigra and Malus tschonoskii for the front. This combo works well for me as the prunus blossoms, then the Malus blossoms, then the prunus leaves emerge and then the malus leaves. In autumn the Prunus holds onto its leaves (recently) till late November whilst the malus goes a lovely burnt colour around october.

Cherry tree reflections

Malus Autumn

Front Summer

Old 16 July 2007, 04:26 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Thanks. Like the Malus.
Old 16 July 2007, 06:08 PM
Jaydee5
Scooby Regular

Ask for anything that's evergreen Garden looks good all year round and you can add one of two "specials" for the summer time
Old 16 July 2007, 08:02 PM
SVXNUT
Scooby Regular

One thing you don't mention is the size of your garden. This would adversly effect the tree sizes you plant. Regarding Prunus nigra look for the cultivar pissardii. (known as Pissard cherry). You should be fairly warm in winter unless you are on the fens in Lincs, try a Liriodendron tulipifera (Tulip tree) if you have a reasonable size garden. Same applies to Parrotia persica (Persian Ironwood) for excellent Autumn colour. Davidia involucrata (Handkerchief tree) Large but great flowers in about 10 years. Magnolia Grandiflora against a wall, will stay green all winter, huge flowers.
Spring colour go for Malus as suggested above, or any of the ornamental cherries. Winter interest try snake bark maple Acer davidii. Or Thuju occidentalis cult Rhinegold. Large Conifer but glows gold in the sun.
You want any more ideas PM me your soil type and position size of garden etc. and I will give you my mob number. Didn't spend 3 years studying Arboriculture for nothing!!!.
Old 16 July 2007, 11:18 PM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

We have a modestly sized garden - I'd say about 10m wide across the back of the house by about 7m deep. We only moved in just under a year ago and we have 4 mature trees in the garden - 3 jolly big evergreen thingumys (Grey Cyprus I think - they smell great!) and 1 enormous Beech tree!

Definitely not what the doc would recommend, but they look great, and they keep a south facing garden jolly nice and cool!
Old 16 July 2007, 11:26 PM
JDMCTR
Scooby Regular

If you want another Jap Acer try the Crimsom Queen which according to books will tolerate temperatures upto 100 degrees F without leaves being scorched.
Old 16 July 2007, 11:45 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm after making a varigated hedge out of different height trees/shrubs - depth between 10-15ft backing onto a waist height fence. Length of area planned is approx 70ft

I'm hoping for an evergreen backdrop but growing to say 35ft, non-coniferous, then filled in with a variety of deciduous of varying hues for both spring, summertime and autumn enjoyment. Ground cover something like laurel in between the trunks.

Idea is shelter from elements (a bit) and from ramblers/neighbours view but also providing a pleasant backdrop. Ground is slightly raised and is not useful for anything practical.

Ideas/planting plan?
Old 17 July 2007, 07:35 PM
SVXNUT
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!
I'm after making a varigated hedge out of different height trees/shrubs - depth between 10-15ft backing onto a waist height fence. Length of area planned is approx 70ft

I'm hoping for an evergreen backdrop but growing to say 35ft, non-coniferous, then filled in with a variety of deciduous of varying hues for both spring, summertime and autumn enjoyment. Ground cover something like laurel in between the trunks.

Idea is shelter from elements (a bit) and from ramblers/neighbours view but also providing a pleasant backdrop. Ground is slightly raised and is not useful for anything practical.

Ideas/planting plan?
Evergreen, but not coniferous?. Where are you?, if say south of Birmingham and don't get temps less than -4 reg in winter, the best option is Quercus ilexifolia or Quercus Ilex. The Holm Oak. Quick growing, and found a lot on golf courses in wind breaks. Hollies (Ilex) are evergreen, and of course Taxus baccata (Yew) if you want to wait a bit!!!. Although technically the yew is a conifer!!.
If you want more variety you will need to look at conifers or deciduous trees.
Plant Prunus padus (Bird cherry) for quick growth. Good flowers and plenty of food for winter birds. Suggest you change the Laurel idea for Viburnums.
Try lantana, rytidophyllum, farreri. These also have the benefit of showy flowers and are semi evergreen.
Otherwise interplant with whatever you fancy to fill the gaps, but you will struggle to find evergreens that are not coniferous in nature, and hardy in this country.
Old 17 July 2007, 09:20 PM
Mk2_heaven
Scooby Regular

as long as you stay away from "them bloody leilandi" my neighbours have
Old 18 July 2007, 09:56 AM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 53WRX
This is a thread I did on another forum which might help.

Gardeners Corner - UK Gardening Forum: Bananamans Trees

Bloodgood is a great choice, be patient and it will reward you.

I grow it in shade with another acer Shirasawanum 'Aureum'

Wow! Fantastic! Love the ferns and acers. Don't acers need a particular soil type? I've planted one this year and I am thinking the worst. I lost one at my last house during the winter. Any ideas?
Old 18 July 2007, 06:34 PM
SVXNUT
Scooby Regular

Acers generally need a well drained slightly acid soil Ph of 5 to 6.5. Losing one in the winter is not unusual there is a nasty fungus going round at the moment (I won't bother spelling the name!!). I lost a 25 year old one this winter myself.
Old 18 July 2007, 09:20 PM
Gymbal
Scooby Regular

Medlar, pretty compact and edible, great autumn colour too.