Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

one for the mountain bikers-how to setup Deore XT gears?

Search this Thread

Old 18 July 2007, 02:54 PM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question one for the mountain bikers-how to setup Deore XT gears?

Hi

I've a Kona explosif and badly need to adjust the Deore XT gears on the rear. All over the shop at the moment!

Does anyone know how to do this? I seem to remember you put it in the highest gear then adjust it until it almost changes then back slightly???

Anyone care to enlighten me, so I can start enjoying my Kona again!

thanks
Neil
Old 18 July 2007, 02:59 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put the shifter at the front in the position for the biggest cog at the rear, then using either the adjuster nut on the shifter or the one on the rear mech turn it until it sounds like it's just gonna downshift. Then turn it back half a turn and you should find the indexing is pretty much spot on.

If not adjust again in small increments until the indexing is spot on
Old 18 July 2007, 03:11 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Park Tool Website

Tend to be the best 'how to' guides IMHO

Cheers
Old 18 July 2007, 03:20 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Cool

Ok, I'm assuming the mech is a normal type one, not on of these rapid rise jobs that they now do. Anyway it's all much of a muchness, just reverse the instructions if it is

I expect the cable has probably stretched a bit so first up take out the slack (or fit a new cable!). There should be adjusters for the cable tension, may be one on both the lever and where the cable enters the mech. Wind them both in.

Now loosen the cable clamp on the mech. and turn the pedals. It should settle on the highest gear (smallest cog). If it drops of the end then the stop is set too low. You should have two stop adjustment screws on the mech, one labelled H and one L. Can't remember which is which but their job is to stop the mech shifting the chain off either end of the block. By turning one of them with the cable loose you'll see it move up and down. Adjust it so the chain sits nicely on the small cog when pedalling.

Now pull the cable tightish with a pair of pliers and do up the clamp. Don't pull it too tight so that the mech moves but on the other hand don't leave it loose.

Ok now pedal and shift to the big cog. If it won't go up there the stop may be set too low. Adjust the other screw so it will go onto the top cog. It it shifts off the end and into the spokes then its set too high, change it the other way.

Finally start pedalling and shifting through the gears. Settle on a middle cog and see if the chain is mating nicely with the block. If it isn't twiddle the cable tension adjuster on the mech. until it does. Try all the gears with the front on the middle chain ring. Keep adjusting the cable tension until it shifts onto all the cogs on the block cleanly. It's a bit fiddly but you'll get there.

If you still can't get it smooth then it may be a sign that your chain and/or block is worn out Chains do stretch over time so need replacing fairly regularly depending as to how much use/abuse your bike gets.

Enjoy!
Old 18 July 2007, 03:49 PM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

excellent, thanks people

will get the tools out later

Neil
Old 18 July 2007, 11:38 PM
rgv_stu
Scooby Regular