Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Buzz Words/Phrases …………………………

Search this Thread

Old 10 July 2007, 07:00 PM
Lord-Martin-Of-Leeds
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buzz Words/Phrases …………………………

Have you heard any Buzz Words/Phrases lately?

In my line of work, unfortunately, I have to mix with lots of pretensions/idiots.

I hear many, many “Buzz words/phrases”.

One I’ve heard twice in the same week is, “ticks all the right boxes”.

Is there a web site for these sayings or what???.
Old 10 July 2007, 07:26 PM
abc
Scooby Regular

Buzz words? There's a whole raft of them out there...
Old 10 July 2007, 07:45 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

I think you need a helicopter view here, let me and the guys have a brain bang on this. We'll be right back to change your life and bring that horizon a lot closer.
Old 10 July 2007, 07:46 PM
superstar1
BANNED

The boss once said to me, "I would just like to touch base with you for 10 minutes". I repeated this three times in my head just to help myself take it in, i think the boss thought i'd had a brain seziure.
Old 10 July 2007, 07:48 PM
daddyscoob
Scooby Regular

Same here in fact one guy used them so much if he called myself or a mate we would start mailing each other to see how many we could get in the conversation. Some were unique to him

sprat to catch a mackrel
working in the background
bibs and braces
run it up the flag pole see which way the wind blows
sausage in sausage out - when we don't have any sausages we can't sell them ??????

Can't recall more but there were a few.......
Old 10 July 2007, 07:49 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

"ticked all the right boxes" is a phrase I use when talking about why I bought the new scoob lol, cos it did

I love opposite buzz words
sick = good
rude = good
hard = good
lol how many more words for good are there !! lol
Old 10 July 2007, 07:49 PM
daddyscoob
Scooby Regular

there's no 'I' in team
Old 10 July 2007, 07:58 PM
Bodgit
Scooby Regular

My pet hate is "I need you to think outside the box"

This implies that I dont normally and I have to be told too. Often used by managers that have no idea about managing or their teams skill levels. Unfortuantely punching the bell end that uses this phrase may result in P45 delivery.
Old 10 July 2007, 08:07 PM
shep ppp
Scooby Regular

We have a **** at work "walk the walk and talk the talk"
Old 10 July 2007, 08:32 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

LOL I think it's an office manager's thing more than anything else. But I can't stand it when people take a well-known phrase and break it up as if it's some clever rephrasing i.e. 'the words kettle, black and pot spring to mind!' YOU ****! SHUT UP!

The only phrases that spring to mind that I regularly hear are nothing to do with the work I or my colleagues do, hence they are not annoying at all e.g. 'Buy cheap, buy twice' when we're joking about someone being a cheapskate etc. Just phrases really.

Another pet hate - people who use 'myself' instead of 'me'. There are really VERY few occasions where 'myself' is the correct word so whoever does this, please don't start reinventing the English language in a vain attempt to make your own menial role seem more substantial.

For reference, this is correct usage: 'I, myself, prefer chicken to beef.' (used when emphasising an opinion as yours alone, following someone else's statement, usually the opposite.) The following is incorrect usage: 'Please could you sign and date the form and return it to myself ASAP.' NO NO NO!!!!

And on a lighter note, I have no idea what 'sausage in sausage out' is supposed to mean, but I'm going to try and get it into conversation somehow LOL!
Old 10 July 2007, 09:12 PM
Lord-Martin-Of-Leeds
Scooby Regular

I had another blinder the other day,”We’ll guarantee it to the Dam, You take it from there”.
Old 11 July 2007, 08:38 AM
Leedsarmy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by daddyscoob
there's no 'I' in team
But there is an M and an E......ME
Old 11 July 2007, 09:01 AM
chris_c201
Scooby Regular

Spinning a lot of plates
Priest of the parish
Driver of the bus
Some "slow time"

etc etc etc........
Old 11 July 2007, 09:05 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

I was round at a friend's house the other day and she was on the phone, at some point during the conversation I heard her say "I'll touch base with you blah blah blah..."

I was really shocked and very disappointed. As a consquence I've have had to seriously reconsider the friendship we have

Buzz words and phrases make me cringe in quite a big way.
Old 11 July 2007, 09:08 AM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

Blue sky thinking
Easy wins
Win / win

Corporate bollox IMO.

We used to play Management Bingo at Nestle. Draw a grid - 3x3, write down the trendy phrases in the boxes. The first to shout House will be eternally respected.
I also used a 18" pencil, just to emphasise my ambivalence

edited to add online version!

Meeting Bingo - A simple DHTML application to ease the pain of boring meetings - The Code Project - HTML / CSS
Old 11 July 2007, 09:14 AM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

I heard, "I'm taking the fifth" the other day. My colleague and I asked if that was a new phrase we'd never heard before, to be lectured on the fact it is in the American constitution and been around for donkey's years! Yes, we know that, we were asking about people saying the phrase!
Old 11 July 2007, 09:18 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Such and such is "The New Black" aaaaaaaaaagh

An old one that used to make me cringe was "Cherry Picking"

I used to have a business card that I made up and would quietly pass to some **** when he was showing off at a meeting.

It read...

I'm a bit of a bull****ter myself but it's great listening to a professional - please carry on!"
Old 11 July 2007, 09:22 AM
Jimpreza
Scooby Regular

I know I hate working in an office listening to people talk utter ****e cause there heads are so far up their own *****. If I hear once more 'we'll av to touch base and have a mini meet'................ It's always the people who r clueless that use this speak cause they haven't got a clue what they r on about. I think the 'sausage in sausage' out phrase originated from the brothel my mother used to work at.
Old 11 July 2007, 09:36 AM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

"Here's some information I would like you to cascade to your team" is used a lot around here.

I hate it!

Old 11 July 2007, 09:37 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Corporate clichιs are banned at my work luckily.

Anybody who I hear say "lets think outside the box" get's told they shouldn't be in the fecking box to start with - go work at tesco's
Old 11 July 2007, 09:40 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
An old one that used to make me cringe was "Cherry Picking"
I always thought that was quite widely used by 'normal people'!

It only winds me up when those cherries happen to be 'low-hanging fruit'
Old 11 July 2007, 09:48 AM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I still find this one quite funny (for all morons out there, it is only funny when you say it to a mate who got stung on the price of something etc....)

"dude, you just got raped"
Old 11 July 2007, 09:52 AM
chris_c201
Scooby Regular

I would agree that cherry picking isn't too bad...
Old 11 July 2007, 10:00 AM
Dave1980
Scooby Regular

even in the construction industry these buzz words are coming in. more than likey its by those people who dont have a clue and trying to justify that they know what they are on about.

thankfully most of get shot down in flames by me and my colleagues, does my head in.
Old 11 July 2007, 10:22 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

You're right about "Cherry Picking" It's just that I had a boss that got right on my **** who used it all the effing time
Old 11 July 2007, 10:58 AM
GOLDMAN 555
Scooby Regular

1. blamestorming: A group process where participants analyze a failed project and look for scapegoats other than themselves.
2. Death by Tweakage: When a product or project fails due to unnecessary tinkering or too many last-minute revisions.
3. BMWs: Bitchers, Moaners and Whiners.
4. clockroaches: Employees who spend most of their day watching the clock - instead of doing their jobs
5. plutoed: To be unceremoniously dumped or relegated to a lower position without an adequate reason or explanation.
6. prairie *******: A modern office phenomenon. Occurs when workers simultaneously pop their heads up out of their cubicles to see what's going on.
7. carbon-based error: Error caused by a human, not a computer (which we assume would be a silicon-based error).
8. menoporsche: Male menopause. Symptoms include a sudden lack of energy, crankiness and the overpowering urge to buy a Porsche.
9. adminisphere: The upper levels of management where big, impractical, and counterproductive decisions are made.
10. deja poo: The feeling that you've stepped in this bull before.
11. bobbleheading: The mass nod of agreement by participants in a meeting to comments made by the boss even though most have no idea what he/she just said.
12. ringtone rage: The violent response by cube mates after hearing your annoying cell phone ringtone for the 15th time.
1. leveraging our assets: The ultimate DUH in business. Every company attempts to leverage its assets. It only makes sense that companies put their resources, whether it's money, location or talent, to best use in order to make a profit?
2. mission-critical: Another sign that too many people in today's business world have read too many Tom Clancy books. What's wrong with the word "essential"?
3. conversate: To have a conversation. Created by those who (for some bizarre reason) don't think "converse" or "talk" are adequate.
4. information touchpoint: Any contact in which information is shared or transferred. Yes, meetings are information touchpoints.
5. synopsize: To condense the details of a boring, two-hour meeting into a briefer - yet still as boring - version.
6. electronify: The process of turning paper-based data into electronic or digital form.
7. price-optimized: Something sold as cheap as possible, particularly a stripped-down version of a previously successful, but expensive product. However, the price-optimized version is likely to have more flash and less substance.
8. targeted completion date: A comforting term that gives the impression a project will be finished by a certain date (but everyone involved knows there's no chance in hell of it happening).
9. surgerize: To have surgery. "Her face had been surgerized."
10. relanguage: Term used by $300-an-hour consultants when $1 words, such as reword, rephrase or rewrite, would work just as well. "I think we can relanguage that to be more effective."
11. computerate: Computer literate. To understand how a computer works. "Are you computerate? Or do you need me to do it for you?"
12. critical path: A list of tasks necessary to complete a project. In project management, it's the ultimate alibi. If there's even one delay in the "critical path," the project will not be completed on time.
Old 11 July 2007, 10:59 AM
GOLDMAN 555
Scooby Regular

ABM: Anything (or Anyone) But Microsoft. A popular philosophy that reflects the backlash against the software giant's market domination and regularly promoted by technology vendors and consultants who make their living selling alternative (open source, Linux, Unix, etc.) solutions.
Nominated by John Merritt

absolutely: Over-enthusiastic, over-affirming four-syllable response used in place of a simple "yes." In particular, a staple of on-air Q&As between TV anchors and field reporters. "Absolutely, Tom. That's how we read it here at the Capitol."
Nominated by Bob Cockrum

abandonware: Any software, generally still protected by copyright, that's no longer sold or supported by the maker, but popular enough to be illegally "shared" by software pirates.
Nominated by Mark Worden

academic junk food: College courses with absolutely no value other than being an easy way to get an A.
across the aisle: Originally the "aisle" between Republicans and Democrats in Congress, it now applies to anyone with an opposing viewpoint. Example: "Management thinks we should focus on becoming profitable, but our investors across the aisle think we are due for an IPO."
Nominated by Mike Capsambelis
actionable: A legal term that's been co-opted by marketers, consultants and techies. In the legal world, it's "giving cause for legal action," such as a lawsuit. Now it's anything you can take action on. "After analyzing your production line, we recommend these four actionable steps."
Nominated by Max Matthews

action items: A term that sounds more macho and businesslike than "to do" list.
Nominated by Lance Smith

ADAM (andropause): Acronym for Androgen Deficiency in Aging Males, but better known as "male menopause." While not nearly as nasty as female version, it lasts a whole lot longer -- up to 40 years -- which probably explains why there are so many cranky old men. Also known as andropause.
Nominated by Mark Worden

adhocracy: An organization with little structure run by creating a series of temporary cross-functional teams to do specific tasks. Depending upon execution, the result is either efficient problem-solving or utter chaos.
Nominated by Joe Shields

adminispam:
Useless e-mail sent from upper echelon bureaucrats that's not applicable to your area, about people you'll never work with or issues you'll never face.
Nominated by Frances Burke
adminisphere: The upper levels of management where big, impractical, and counterproductive decisions are made.
Nominated by Greg Horesovsky

administrative professional: Replaces the word "secretary." By either title, they're unappreciated and underpaid.
Nominated by Peter Cook

administrivia: On a Web site, it’s the odds and ends that don’t quite fit under a specific category or merit their own page. Frequently it’s the legal stuff about copyrights, liability, licensing, etc. You know, all that administrative stuff. Privacy issues used to be administrivia, but with concerns about security that topic now rates primetime display.
Nominated by David Atherton
advermation:Some see this as the more evil twin of infotainment. Advermation is advertising that presents itself as information and tends to downplay or even disguise the fact that it’s trying to deliver a marketing message. In most cases, its a simple Web page that is blurring the lines. Conspiracy theorists, however, offer up examples like this: An ABC television "film critic" delivers a glowing review on the evening news and shows the new release’s promotional trailer. The movie is from Disney, ABC’s parent company. Hmmmmmmmm.
Nominated by Nick Catania
affluenza: The affliction of being too focused on buying material things, working too much (and still not having enough money) and stressing out about all of it.
agenda: In workplace politics, it's best defined as "What I want -- and will attempt to get -- at the expense of pushing what you want out of the picture completely."
Nominated by Laura Wagner

agreeance: A *******ization of "agreement." Created by the BuzzMakers because it sounds more important and "official." It's now bandied about at business meetings and is often buried in the fine print of Web site privacy statements. "All parties are in agreeance . . ."
Nominated by Hal Jalikeakek

aggressive accounting: Euphemism for any of the sleight of hand accounting practices used by companies to hide their weaknesses and artificially inflate their value. Such corporate magicians included Enron, WorldCom, etc. -- and the list seems to be growing.
Nominated by David Walker

agritainment: Farm-based tourism. Includes family style activities, such as corn mazes, haunted hay rides, pick-your-own pumpkins, etc. This growing phenomenon gives city slickers a taste of rural life while helping farmers diversify their revenue stream.
Nominated by Lori Schug

air cover: Borrowed from the military, it's when someone in upper management agrees to take the flak for an unpopular decision -- while you do the dirty work. "The CIO will provide air cover while you make the cuts to reduce costs."
Nominated by Jim Buck

all cotton: In basketball, it describes a shot that swishes through the net without hitting the rim. "And Allen Iverson shoots . . . it's all cotton." Also: Nothing but net.
All Flash, No Cash: The financial version of "All Talk, No Action" and "All Hat, No Cattle."
Nominated by John Hiatt

alpha geek: The most technically proficient person in a group or company.
Nominated by Dean Duncan
alpha pup:
A term used by market researchers for the "coolest kid in the neighborhood." "If the alpha pups like it, we'll sell a million of 'em."
alt-tab: It's more than just a key on your PC, it's the latest way to save your job. Hitting "alt+tab" on your keyboard will hide the window that's on your screen and bring up one from behind. It's used frequently in the workplace to hide the fact that you've been surfing the Net, instead of doing that report the boss wanted. "I didn't finish reading that joke you e-mailed me; my boss walked by so I had to alt-tab."
Nominated by Cade Bryant
Amazon-ized: That sick feeling you get when you wake up one morning and find your industry being dominated by a Web-based retailer. It’s a little less frightening now that multi-channel business models are back in vogue.
Nominated by David Manthey
anecdotal evidence: Information gathered through conversations with a handful of customers, suppliers or salespeople and used by stubborn executives to counter quantitative analyses that discredit their beliefs about the market.
Nominated by Nominated by Charles Mitchell
anonymize:
A member of the enormous "ize" family. Not terribly imaginative, it means "to make anonymous." It's an old trick of the BuzzMakers: Take a noun. Add "ize" and turn it into a verb.
Nominated by Mike Wheeler
anticipointment:
The feeling you get when a product or event doesn't live up to its own hype. "Windows ME was a huge anticipointment."
Nominated by Paul Strandlund

AOS: All Options Stink. Term taken from the military, but is easily applied to politics, business, etc.
apple polishers: "Yes" people or brown-nosers, who spend their time superficially polishing their images without putting their noses to the grindstone.
Nominated by Lee Pennekamp
aquadextrous:
The ability to turn the bath faucet on and off with your feet.
Nominated by Jamie Thompson
architect:
Mutilation of a noun by the "computer architecture" world. "Tell us what you want your system to do and we'll architect it for you." What's wrong with the word "design"?
Nominated by Randy Sheehan
ASCII babe:
A celebrity or well-personality, who has been sophisticatedly illustrated using nothing but ASCII characters. See examples at www.asciibabes.com
Nominated by Glen Freddo

ASP: Cleopatra's fatal attraction. Actually, ASPs are nothing more than software rental agencies -- aka application service providers. They host the applications on their computers and take care of all maintenance, refinements and such. Access is generally through the Internet. Great for today’s business culture whose mantra is "Own Nothing If Possible."
ASP (part two): Active Server Page. A Web technology for providing dynamic Web pages.

associates: Thanks to companies like Wal-Mart, companies no longer have "employees" – they have "associates." Of course, they're still paid like employees.

asteroid event: Any major news or event that pushes a company to the brink of extinction by wiping out the value of its stock almost overnight. The corporate version of what killed the dinosaurs.
Nominated by Serge Masse

astroturf: A phony grassroots effort in which lobbyists and special interests flood politicians, particularly members of Congress, with e-mail in an attempt to sway their opinions. The tactic, however, has backfired since members of Congress have pretty much given up on trying to read the 80 million e-mail messages they receive each year.
Nominated bySusan Walton
Atkinsed: To lose weight using the Atkins Diet. “I have recently Atkinsed myself down to a size 12.” Also: A marketing ploy to take advantage of the Atkins Diet craze. Burger King Atkinsed its menu, which simply meant it would sell you the burger without the bun.
A2O: Shorthand for comparing dissimilar things – apples to oranges. "I'd disregard that. It was an A2O analysis."
Nominated by Rob Lawless

ATNA: All talk, no action. Four-letter acronym describing a person who makes promises with great fanfare, but seldom follows through.
Nominated by David Taylor

audio caffeine: High energy, stimulating music that gets you moving in the morning.
Nominated by Janet LoFurno

auditability: Corporate-speak describing the likelihood of information to withstand an auditor’s scrutiny. “We have assessed its auditability and it should pass SEC muster.”
Nominated by Michael Troiano
automotive acne: The collection of broken headlights, crumpled panels and bent fenders that identifies a car as belonging to a teenage driver.
Old 11 July 2007, 11:00 AM
GOLDMAN 555
Scooby Regular

BAU: Even old standbys can become acronyms. This one is the much bandied about corporate term for "business as usual."
Nominated by Leslie Nelson

b2b space:
See "space."
B2A: Business-to-anybody. A business concept born of desperation.
B2B: Business-to-business was too traditional sounding. B-to-b was too clunky. But B2B is way-cool and much easier to work into headlines and ads.
B2B2C: The abbreviation insanity continues. Now we have Business to Business to Consumer.
Nominated by Jim Cook

B2C: The consumer version of B2B.
B2E: Business-to-everybody. Sounds a bit greedy, doesn’t it?

B2G: You guessed it: Business-to-Government. With the government being the largest employer in the U.S., it's BIG business.
Nominated by Maria Dittrich

baby bump:
Term used steadily on "ET" and celebrity talk shows to describe pregnant women (celebrities) when they start to show. "It's amazing how well she's hiding her baby bump."
Nominated by Blaine Crandell
backbone provider: A company that provides Internet access to Internet Service Providers (ISPs). Official name: Network Service Providers (NSPs).

back-sourcing: When outsourcers fail to deliver quality, service or cost effectiveness, companies will bring the job back in-house. As in: "It's time to back-source this one, because we've lost control of what we're doing."
Nominated by Randall Becker

bad cosmetics: Another favorite at Enron. Any action or practice that would reflect badly on the company. Enron memos noted that there was great concern about "bad cosmetics being aired publicly," particularly in the Wall Street Journal. Outside the corporate world, it's known as "dirty laundry" or "dirty linen."
Nominated by Billy McCormac
BAFO: Business acronym for Best And Final Offer.
Nominated by Scott Haddon
baked in: Corporate-speak for "included." "The shipping costs are already baked into the list price."
Nominated by Mike Whitaker

bake-off: Contest where competing vendors submit their products for head-to-head performance tests in hopes of winning the customer's business. "We had 7 vendors in the bake-off."
Nominated by
Tanya Katz
bandwidth (technical): It was a huge issue in the late 1990s, but seemingly forgotten now that people can get cable modems and DSL.
bandwidth (as applied to people): Technology truly has permeated our lives when we start applying tech terms to people. So, what’s your personal bandwidth like? Expect to hear it from your boss soon. It means: How much extra time do you have to take on new projects?
Nominated by Jill Whalen

barcode rape: When trade show "booth bunnies" grab you by the name tag and swipe the barcode (to earn a commission) before even talking to you about the products or services they offer.
Nominated by Jennifer Willsey

Barneyware: The purple dinosaur may have faded from the scene, but his legacy lives on. Barneyware is anything that has little or no substance. Example: A joint press release by two companies that have nothing new to announce, but in order to generate media attention declare their mutual admiration for each other. In effect, the release says nothing more than "I love you, you love me, we're a happy family."
Nominated by Dave Jilk

barn raising: Borrowed from a simpler time, it means to solve a difficult problem by pulling staff and resources from the four corners of the company to develop a solution. "We'll need to do a little barn raising to solve this one." The term IS more palatable than "multi-functional task force."
barrybonds: Financial instruments that have an impressive growth rate -- but also a high risk factor.
Nominated by Edward Bania
b-blog: A Web log created to share serious business insights and information, not just personal, inane rantings.

BDN: A Big Damn Number. Frequently used by sales and marketing types to emphasize value. For example, a $5,000-a-month savings isn’t nearly as impressive as the annual BDN -- $60,000.
Nominated by Craig Ogan

Bear Market Depressive Syndrome (BMDS): Now's there's a medical term for the overwhelming sense of inadequacy, shame and regret you feel whenever the stock market takes a dip. Coined by Dr. John W. Schott, an author, practicing psychiatrist and portfolio manager for Steinberg Global Asset Management. (No joke!)
Nominated by Billy McCormac
bee break: Sneaking off to the bathroom in the middle of dinner to check e-mail on your BlackBerry, PDA, etc.
beer googles: Searching the ’Net while intoxicated
Nominated by Tony Phipps
beggarware: Any free software, generally downloaded from the Internet, where the author "begs" for a donation to help support continued development.
Nominated by John Merritt
belly-buttons: The Web world counts eyeballs. The insurance and managed care industries count belly buttons. One person equals one belly button. So an insurance policy that covers five belly buttons actually covers five distinct individuals. The managed care folks say, "That program impacts 3 million belly buttons." We're not sure if there's a difference between "innies" and "outties."
Nominated by Lisa Kaiser
Below Zeros: This is a marketing term, not a temperature. They’re customers who cost more to serve than they return in value. Example: A customer who ties up a salesperson for 45 minutes while trying on 14 pairs of Gucci shoes, then buys a six-pack of tube socks for $1.98, complains about the price and walks out. Also known as BZs.
bench: It’s clear that business is still dominated by men. Otherwise, there wouldn’t be so many testosterone-driven sports terms masquerading as business phrases. "We’ve got bench," the salesman assures the customer who wants to know if the company can deliver as promised. "We need bench," complains the manager whose department has been running two down for the past six months. In other places, "bench" is the justification for an excessive number of excessively-paid executives sitting in gargantuan offices.
Nominated by Geri Modell
best of breed: One of the top honors at Westminster, but in the tech world it’s supposedly the top software or hardware in its class.
Nominated by Craig Ogan

best practices: A term bandied about in business management circles and describes business tactics (and strategies) used in successful companies. The term, however, can be misleading. While "best practices" seems to imply success, they may have nothing to do with the actual success of the company.
Nominated by Jim Cook
betamaxed: It's what happens when the "best" technology loses out to lesser technology in the marketplace. Coined during the VCR wars when VHS became the standard over the "superior" Betamax format. Since then the process has been perfected by Microsoft's marketing department.

bettys: Once a name for the girls (perfectly oiled and wearing string bikinis) who waited on the sand while their boyfriends rode the waves. The new bettys are now the ones hanging ten (and the guys are beginning to watch, thanks to the movie "Blue Crush."
Nominated by Mark Worden
BFO:
Blinding Flash of the Obvious. "Jack is having another one of his BFO moments."
Nominated by Anna Sterling

BHNC: Big Hat, No Cattle. Another way of saying "all talk, no action."
Nominated by Patricia Bonnstetter
BHAGs: Big Hairy Audacious Goals. A BHAG gets people's creative and competitive juices flowing. Coined by authors James Collins and Jerry Porras, but now a favorite of pricey consultants.
Nominated by Greg Foltz

bio break: Meeting-speak for "bathroom break." "Let's take a short bio break before moving on to action plans." Of course, coffee is served during such breaks at business conferences, resulting in the need for more bio breaks.
Nominated by Derek Moyer
biocolonialism: The taking of knowledge and biological resources from an indigenous people without compensation. Frequently practiced by drug companies, which have discovered that some medical remedies of "primitive" tribes are far more effective (and profitable) than those produced by modern science. Also known as biopiracy.
BIRGing: Sports psychology term to describe how fans boost their own self esteem by Basking In Reflected Glory of their favorite team. It's what makes fans paint their faces in team colors, secretly listen to games during work, and spend a small fortune buying team logo-laden apparel and goofy-looking bobbleheads.
Nominated by Mark Worden

bitching post: Any place or medium (such as a newspaper, radio talk show, blog or chat room) where people can rant, complain or blow off steam.
Nominated by Judy Whitman

bi-tonal (1): For those of you who haven't figured it out, the bi-tonal menu choice on your fancy, super-duper copiers, printers and scanners means black and white.

bi-tonal (2): Describes old style managers. A person who only see it two ways -- his way or the highway. Also, a manager who sees things as right or wrong and leaves no room for discussion.
Nominated by Brown Brooks
black-collar workers: Once a term for miners and oil workers, today it more often refers to creative types (artists, graphic designers, video producers) who’ve made black attire their unofficial uniform.
Nominated by Laurel Sutton
blahger: A blogger whose message primarily consists of blah-blah-blah.
blaired:
To have one's work stolen or copied. Refers to former New York Times reporter Jayson Blair's penchant for stealing the work of other journalists.
Nominated by Olivier Stephenson
blalker:
Someone who uses a blog to stalk or hound another individual.
Nominated by Mark Worden
blame shift: To deflect responsibility by pointing the finger at someone else. "Don't blame shift," Julia Roberts warns Brad Pitt in "The Mexican."
Nominated by Julie Swords

blamestorming: A group process where participants analyze a failed project and look for scapegoats other than themselves.
Nominated by Sheri Kiddy
blanding: Branding schemes that strip out any uniqueness in a corporate identity in order to appear to a larger audience. The resulting look: bland.
Nominated by Hae Yuon Kim
bleeding edge: You knew there had to be something beyond the cutting edge. Well, this is it. It’s technology so new even its inventors aren’t completely sure what it is or where it’s headed. Of course, some make it. Others just bleed.
Nominated by Rose Smith
bleg:
To use one's blog to beg for assistance (usually for information, but occasionally for money). One who does so is a "blegger."
Nominated by Mark Worden

bling-bling: Flashy jewelry, watches, etc. A fashion staple of the hip-hop culture.
Nominated by Joeth Barlas

blix: To look without seeing. A reference to Dr. Hans Blix, the U.N.'s chief weapon's inspector. "They blixed the area and didn't spot a single violation."
Nominated by Alan Skolnick
bloated syntax:
Anything that's overwritten -- often padded with unnecessary adjectives or laden with hyperbole. Also appropriately known as "BS."

bloatware: Software that has more features, buttons and capability than you'll ever need -- thanks to faster computer chips, cheap memory and big hard drives. It eats up storage space on your drive and hogs memory in order to run. The result of bad or simply lazy design.
blocking and tackling: The basics or fundamentals. Another example of business folks (particularly men) using sports terms and analogies (football in this case) to make themselves clear -- even though the message is missed by those who don't follow sports (often women). "First we need to get back to blocking and tackling, then we can discuss advanced strategies and techniques."
Nominated by Hal Dunn
blog: A Web log.

blogger:
Bloggers have become the media’s new darlings, but in BuzzWhack’s view marketing guru Guy Kawasaki’s definition rings truer than ever: Someone with nothing to say writing for someone with nothing to do.
blogives:
Web log archives. (Somewhere in the million blogs that fill cyberspace, there must be something worth saving for posterity.)
Nominated by
Ginger Mayerson, www.gingermayerson.com
blogola: Old-fashioned payola. Used to influence bloggers to write about a given product, TV show, movie, etc. Sometimes case, but more often the "pay" comes in the form of freebies or access. In particular, TV shows flatter high-profile bloggers by inviting them to visit their sets.
blook: A book that began as a blog until someone figured they could make money off it if they published the same stuff on paper.
Bluetooth: Bluetooth wireless technology has become the de facto standard for the wireless industry. Bluetooth allows a wide range of appliances to eliminate the use of cables and replaces them with wireless connections that use low-frequency radio signals. The technology is royalty-free. Bluetooth, which is a registered trademark, is named after the Danish king Harald Blεtand (Bluetooth), who unified Denmark and Norway. Originally Bluetooth wireless technology was aimed at unifying the telecom and computing industries.
Nominated by Sundaram Chandrasekaran
Bluetooth fairy: Someone who spends his or her day with the blinking glow of a Bluetooth headset plugged into one ear. Bluetooth Fairy T-shirt available
BMWs: Bitchers, Moaners and Whiners. "We'd get a lot more accomplished if we didn't have so many BMWs working here."
bobbleheading: The mass nod of agreement by participants in a meeting to comments made by the boss even though most have no idea what he just said.
Nominated by Kris Shepherd
BOBFOC: Body Off Baywatch, Face Off Crimewatch.
Nominated by Kevin Dougherty
bobos:
Short for Bourgeois Bohemians, a confounding mingle of 1960s rebellion with 1980s ambition. Coined by author David Brooks. Bobos drink coffee because it stimulates mental acuity, but shun booze because it dulls the senses. They will go to the beach in the skimpiest of bathing suits, but are astonished if you neglect to put on sunblock to prevent cancer. And driving your SUV without a seatbelt is positively immoral.

BOGOFF: Sounds like an insult, but it’s simply a marketing gimmick used to boost sales volume or in some cases to get consumers to try a product because it’s such a great deal. Translation: Buy One Get One For Free.
Nominated by Shaun Bartlett

bohica: An acronym muttered by the people who do the real work when senior managers announce their latest and greatest sales/customer service/quality initiative. It's more polite than Bend Over, Here It Comes Again.
Nominated by Brenda Wakeman

boiling the ocean: The result of working hard without focus or purpose. "All she's doing is boiling the ocean." Also known as "spinning your wheels" and "running in place."
Nominated by Andrew Collins
bolt-on acquisition: Describes a product or company acquisition that fits naturally with the buyer's existing business lines or strategy.
Nominated by Barbara Wilson

Boolean Approach: A decision-making process favored by business execs in which the answer is either "yes" OR "no." Also known as a "digital decision."
Nominated by Ian Scorrer

borking: To vilify or defame someone. Originally coined after Robert Bork's U.S. Supreme Court nomination was torpedoed in 1987 and refers to opposition to a judicial nominee for purely political reasons. Today borking has morphed to include anyone who gets trashed in the media.
Nominated by Mark Worden

born digital: Documents (books, manuscripts, reports,etc.) not published on paper. They are created on a computer and distributed electronically.
botchulism: Quick-fix solutions or business practices that turn toxic. "Arthur Andersen had a bad case of botchulism. It crippled the company and killed my 401k."
Nominated by Edward Bania

boundarylessness: A management philosophy, perfected at General Electric under Jack Welch, that basically means "good ideas can come from anywhere."
Nominated by Michelle Porter
bracket envy: The emotion that results when your last team in the Final Four is eliminated while your colleague across the aisle still has three teams remaining.
Nominated by Thomas Lampros
bracket fatigue: The tired and tattered remains of the typical NCAA basketball office pool bracket after two rounds.
Nominated by
James Gould
bragability:
The right to brag based on accomplishments. “Having competed in the Ironman has a high bragability factor.”
Nominated by Brittani Mauldin

brandalism: It’s the "defacing" of schools, libraries and other public spaces with company logos, advertisements and corporate slogans. Remember when buildings were named after people we admired?

brandroid: Someone (usually a marketer) who relentlessly trumpets the brand and pushes for all decisions to be aligned with the company's "brand essence."
Nominated by Max Dieterle
brandstorming: This term's been around a few years, but popped up recently when Andersen Consulting conducted a company-wide "BrandStorming" contest to come up with a new name for the company. It generally means the process of brainstorming a new branding strategy.
brick and mortar: When the dot-coms were flying high, it was a derisive term used to describe traditional businesses that actually had buildings, manufacturing plants, customer service centers, distribution facilities and – oh yeah -- real profits.

brown bag session: A meeting scheduled during lunch hour in which the employee not only has to work but must bring his or her own lunch.
Nominated by Iain McCarthy
BSOD: Better known as the Blue Screen of Death. If you used the old versions of Microsoft Windows, you’ve probably met the BSOD. It’s what happened when Windows didn’t like something you’d just done, so it freaked out and gave you a bright blue screen and instructions on what to do. If you were lucky, those instructions ended with the words "To continue, hit any key."
Nominated by Mel Carter

BTA: Used both to mark the time before September 11, 2001 and how views have changed since. Something that is "BTA" would be considered naοve and self-centered, and reflect attitudes held "before the attacks."
Nominated by Mark Hampton
bubble up: The act of letting an idea or issue rise up the organization chart to a superior. "The best ideas are the ones that bubble up from front line employees."
Nominated by Michael Richardson

buck-rake: To hold a political fund-raiser. "He skipped the debate in order to buck-rake for his campaign."
Nominated by Max Matthews

budget dust:
Year-end money that must be spent before it is swept away by the cold winds of a new fiscal year.
Nominated by Charles Mitchell

budget flush: The "use it or lose it" spending spree that occurs near the end of the fourth quarter. The last-minute draining of the budget is such a common practice by IT departments that Wall Street analysts factor it into their technology stock projections.
Nominated by Erik Bergman

budgetunity: An "opportunity" for innovative budgeting. Used to put a positive spin on Michigan's budget crisis several years back. "The shortfall in revenue has given the governor a budgetunity."
Nominated by Judith Plantz

bud rip: The distinctive motion when someone listening to a MP3 player yanks down on the cord attached to the ear buds, quickly removing them from the ears and to catch what someone nearby is saying.
Nominated by Terry Porter
bulletize: To highlight supposedly key information using bullet points. "To help explain my idea, I've bulletized the main points on the next slide..." Often used by people who can't explain themselves in complete sentences.
Nominated by Charles Mitchell
BUM:
Interestingly, there are plenty of "business unit managers" in the corporate world, but the only folks who use the acronym are their employees. Hmmmm.
business need: A generic term generally used by upper management to explain or defend a business decision -- particularly a bad one.

BYOA:
Bring Your Own Advil. Description for a task that's sure to give you a headache. "We need to install that software on the Unix server -- BYOA."
Nominated by Brenda Friedman

by the drink:
How most bars dispense alcohol. In the Internet content world, it means to sell articles or information by the individual piece.
Nominated by Margaret Biblis
Old 11 July 2007, 11:07 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

PLEASE - not right through the alphabet..........