SteveShort
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah but it is not being sold to skanky northerners
Old 26 June 2007, 06:33 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Waiting for Friday to see its release price.

If its cheap enough its a quick phonecall to the boss and see if he can get 3 for the office
Old 26 June 2007, 07:22 PM
Sti_Prodrive
Scooby Regular

Location: LONDON MANDEM - At Da V-Power Petty Station Fillin Up
Great link
Old 26 June 2007, 08:22 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Simon C
Waiting for Friday to see its release price.

If its cheap enough its a quick phonecall to the boss and see if he can get 3 for the office
Price is $499 or $599 (US Dollars). Activation is via iTunes and it will only allow you to activate it against an AT&T account. You have to sign up for a 2 year contract which has a $175 cancellation fee.

It does have a user accessible SIM slot so one assumes you could switch the SIM to another provider. There is also the assumption that you must be able to unlock at least the iPod part of it without having to activate it with AT&T, but information on this is limited at the moment. Hopefully come 6pm on the 29th we'll know more.

As for getting them, good luck! Apple stores and no doubt AT&T kiosks are closing at 2pm to prepare for the 6pm launch. There is meant to be a per person limit on how many you can purchase, I'd expect it to be ? 5 per person, as it's obvious some people will purchase at least two with the express intention of putting one on ebay. There was also talk of Apple stopping people from camping out overnight outside stores.

Last edited by Markus; 26 June 2007 at 08:26 PM.
Old 26 June 2007, 08:27 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

you cant use the american iphone in this country as a sim free phone!! due to the way it recognises the sim, if you were to add your sim to it all calls would be made as international as its an american software phone, so you have to wait for the uk realease
Old 26 June 2007, 08:41 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

First couple of people are camping outside Apple store on 5th Ave (NY) already.

The AT&T contracts arent too bad price wise (unlimited cell-cell calls and data) and start at around $50 month ...except for the 2 yr part. That sucks!
I have an AT&T pay as you go sim which I use...am wondering if that will work with it....

Geeks will be getting busy on it straight away and finding an unlocking solution I imagine. It only took them around 9 months for the Nokia N80

oh- and you can buy the fake ones already eBay.co.uk: IPHONE NEW AND UNLOCKED (item 130128161196 end time 29-Jun-07 19:25:36 BST)

Last edited by Freak; 26 June 2007 at 08:46 PM.
Old 26 June 2007, 09:23 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Bugger, new their had to be a catch. Looks like I will be keeping the nokia for a few more months.
Old 26 June 2007, 09:39 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Hopefully they'll pounce on the iPhone in the same way the AppleTV was pounced on. Gotta love the ATVLoader, PatchStick and BackRow Developers Kit (Alan Quatermain is a top chappy! ) for the ATV.

Things I expect to be looked into are the ability to use the phone as an iPod without having to activate it with AT&T as at present it does appear you have to activate it even if you just want to use the iPod capabilities. Being able to use it with other carriers would also be a bonus.

No idea when it's due to come to Canada, and one hopes that Rogers is going to offer the same price plans as AT&T, or at least the unlimited data plan, which is, I think, why quite a few networks would not deal with Apple as they no doubt made this one of the mandates as quite a lot of what you'd do with the iPhone would involve transmission of data, so you don't want to pish people off by having stupid pricing on data as well as charging for phone calls.
Old 27 June 2007, 12:08 AM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Its that unlimited data and unlimited cell-cell part for such a low price that may swing me into buying one later this year.
By far the most competitive deal I have seen, and cheaper than most crackberry plans by a long way.

I expect that will help them fly out of the door.... not that they need any assistance!

Cingular (now renamed AT&T) are by far the best network IMHO in the US too....so a good choice there on apples part.
Old 27 June 2007, 12:16 AM
swampster
Scooby Regular

The way I understood it the thing about the Iphone is that for some of it's functions to work it requires changes on the network side of things.. which is why it's only available with one carrier. (Well that and the exclusivity lock in to make more $$$). So if you could change the sim, I'd expect half the stuff not to work properly anyway.
Old 27 June 2007, 01:12 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Visual Voicemail certainly requires server side resources, not sure what other features require this. For me visual voicemail is simply a gimmick and not one I'd use anyway so switching to another carrier and losing that would not mean too much to me. I'm not sure what other features are specific to the network.
Old 27 June 2007, 07:24 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Freak
First couple of people are camping outside Apple store on 5th Ave (NY) already.

The AT&T contracts arent too bad price wise (unlimited cell-cell calls and data) and start at around $50 month ...except for the 2 yr part. That sucks!
I have an AT&T pay as you go sim which I use...am wondering if that will work with it....

Geeks will be getting busy on it straight away and finding an unlocking solution I imagine. It only took them around 9 months for the Nokia N80

oh- and you can buy the fake ones already eBay.co.uk: IPHONE NEW AND UNLOCKED (item 130128161196 end time 29-Jun-07 19:25:36 BST)

seems its been removed already ??!!! would have been interesting to see just how good a fake it actually was ??!!! wonder what phone networks it was working on, any idea ??

must admitt there are some excellent youtube vides showing this thing in action it really is very impressive !!
Old 01 July 2007, 02:54 PM
King Eric
Scooby Regular

I picked one up in the states, and its back in the uk now.

Just need someone to unlock it now. Ironically I have been offered three times what I paid for it by members on an Iphone forum in the uk. Lucky I sorted two of them out then!
Old 01 July 2007, 05:22 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

personally i would sell it!! the calls on a uk sim wil be charged at international rate even if you unlock it !! its just not worth the hassle for the sake of 2 months