Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Lawn advice needed. ANY GREENFINGERS ON

Search this Thread

Old 19 June 2007, 07:20 PM
scooby.speed
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lawn advice needed. ANY GREENFINGERS ON

My lawn at the front seems to have become riddled with weeds and patches of moss. Is there anyone on who can recommend a good source to salvage it as don't want to throw money down the swanney with weeds and feeds if they don't work but if they do please let me know of a good one as this may prevent a re-turf

thanks in anticipation of any replies
Old 19 June 2007, 09:23 PM
Alan MaC
Scooby Regular

Scooby Speed,

This lot are supposed to be the Canines Gentelia, Treat the lawn with stuff you & I cant get from B&Q etc.

GreenThumb Lawn Treatment Service

Do me a favour, if you use & it's as good as people say, could you let me know how much they charge please?

Thanks.

Regards.

Alan MaC
Old 19 June 2007, 10:31 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

I used weed and feed on a lawn once and it near killed the lawn completely, but then again it was almost all weed and moss.

I would have been better with a re-turf on reflection.

My new house has 3 lawns which I have just treated with fertiliser. This has really improved the fullness and colour of the lawns.
Old 20 June 2007, 01:14 AM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

I bought a big box of ASDA's weed and feed, worked very well, just run out and need to buy more as the mild winters are sending the mosses into overdrive!

Simon
Old 20 June 2007, 08:00 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Scooby.seed, get yourself some lawn sand. It's bulky but it's been around for ages because it works. It's got ferrous sulphate to kill moss, as well as other general weedkillers to tackle the usual grass invaders. Like many grass weedkillers though, grass only has a certain amout of tolerance to it, so the trick is little and often, keeping the grass damp. PM me if you want further details.
Old 20 June 2007, 08:22 AM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lawn advice in Scooby related ??
Old 20 June 2007, 09:48 AM
Foyler
Scooby Newbie

Another vote for the lawn sand, but it should really be applied in March/April followed by a feed of 7-6-17 fertiliser in early Summer and Autumn (Not essential). The lawn will always deteriorate in Winter with moss increasing with lack of growth in grass and increased moisture. The lawn Sand will kill most of the moss as well as feeding the grass and giving it a rich green colour. Just make sure the soil is damp but the grass is dry before applying.
Too much will kill the grass so it's best to apply with a spreader to ensure an even coverage.

All the Best,

Mark
Old 20 June 2007, 11:28 AM
jcullen
Scooby Regular

have started using greenthumb and can't fault them, good advice and great/cheap service. was basically cheaper to get them round to feed/weed etc than to do it myself
Old 20 June 2007, 11:34 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Originally Posted by B0DSKI
Lawn advice in Scooby related ??
When my lawn wasnt performing well, I bought some really good oil and some Vpower petrol and put them in my lawn. Which was nice.
I then bolted a water cooled spray thing to the turbo thingy which had a major impact - expecially on hot dry days...
I also got some lexus lights and a dump valve for my lawn which made my friends jealous...
Merr
Old 20 June 2007, 11:43 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Used to use Greenthumb - very good service. Starts with a survey to assess the problems and they will give you a treatment plan. They then come round as per the plan and treat the lawn. In my case it was 4 or 5 times a year and cost under £15 a time. Best of all it worked - lush green grass free of weeds and moss in no time!
Old 20 June 2007, 12:11 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

We ha greenthumb for a couple of years. The did the survey thing and recommended the treatment to get rid of the moss. Ours was £45 a visit and to be honest we really didn't see that much of a difference, so cancelled them.
Old 20 June 2007, 12:45 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Managed to transform about half an acre of scrub into a decent lawn just by strimming it regularly and planting decent grass seed.
Now good enough to mow (so got a pretty heavy duty mower) and the transformation is amazing!

Think I'll leave the other 4 1/2 acres of scrub and woodland until next year though....!