ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Lawn advice needed. ANY GREENFINGERS ON (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/614834-lawn-advice-needed-any-greenfingers-on.html)

scooby.speed 19 June 2007 07:20 PM

Lawn advice needed. ANY GREENFINGERS ON

My lawn at the front seems to have become riddled with weeds and patches of moss. Is there anyone on who can recommend a good source to salvage it as don't want to throw money down the swanney with weeds and feeds if they don't work but if they do please let me know of a good one as this may prevent a re-turf

thanks in anticipation of any replies:luxhello:

Alan MaC 19 June 2007 09:23 PM

Scooby Speed,

This lot are supposed to be the Canines Gentelia, Treat the lawn with stuff you & I cant get from B&Q etc.

GreenThumb Lawn Treatment Service

Do me a favour, if you use & it's as good as people say, could you let me know how much they charge please?

Thanks.

Regards.

Alan MaC

bob r 19 June 2007 10:31 PM

I used weed and feed on a lawn once and it near killed the lawn completely, but then again it was almost all weed and moss.

I would have been better with a re-turf on reflection.

My new house has 3 lawns which I have just treated with fertiliser. This has really improved the fullness and colour of the lawns.

The rookie 20 June 2007 01:14 AM

I bought a big box of ASDA's weed and feed, worked very well, just run out and need to buy more as the mild winters are sending the mosses into overdrive!

Simon

TelBoy 20 June 2007 08:00 AM

Scooby.seed, get yourself some lawn sand. It's bulky but it's been around for ages because it works. It's got ferrous sulphate to kill moss, as well as other general weedkillers to tackle the usual grass invaders. Like many grass weedkillers though, grass only has a certain amout of tolerance to it, so the trick is little and often, keeping the grass damp. PM me if you want further details. :)

B0DSKI 20 June 2007 08:22 AM

Lawn advice in Scooby related ?? :wonder:

Foyler 20 June 2007 09:48 AM

Another vote for the lawn sand, but it should really be applied in March/April followed by a feed of 7-6-17 fertiliser in early Summer and Autumn (Not essential). The lawn will always deteriorate in Winter with moss increasing with lack of growth in grass and increased moisture. The lawn Sand will kill most of the moss as well as feeding the grass and giving it a rich green colour. Just make sure the soil is damp but the grass is dry before applying.
Too much will kill the grass so it's best to apply with a spreader to ensure an even coverage.

All the Best,

Mark

jcullen 20 June 2007 11:28 AM

have started using greenthumb and can't fault them, good advice and great/cheap service. was basically cheaper to get them round to feed/weed etc than to do it myself

Abdabz 20 June 2007 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by B0DSKI (Post 7036726)
Lawn advice in Scooby related ?? :wonder:

When my lawn wasnt performing well, I bought some really good oil and some Vpower petrol and put them in my lawn. Which was nice.
I then bolted a water cooled spray thing to the turbo thingy which had a major impact - expecially on hot dry days...
I also got some lexus lights and a dump valve for my lawn which made my friends jealous... :)
Merr :thumb:

OllyK 20 June 2007 11:43 AM

Used to use Greenthumb - very good service. Starts with a survey to assess the problems and they will give you a treatment plan. They then come round as per the plan and treat the lawn. In my case it was 4 or 5 times a year and cost under £15 a time. Best of all it worked - lush green grass free of weeds and moss in no time!

Nimbus 20 June 2007 12:11 PM

We ha greenthumb for a couple of years. The did the survey thing and recommended the treatment to get rid of the moss. Ours was £45 a visit and to be honest we really didn't see that much of a difference, so cancelled them.

Matteeboy 20 June 2007 12:45 PM

Managed to transform about half an acre of scrub into a decent lawn just by strimming it regularly and planting decent grass seed.
Now good enough to mow (so got a pretty heavy duty mower) and the transformation is amazing!

Think I'll leave the other 4 1/2 acres of scrub and woodland until next year though....!