Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Painkillers

Search this Thread

Old 17 June 2007, 09:27 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Painkillers

I had a filling come out a couple of weeks back, Dentist relieved me of 72 quid to clean my teeth and make it more painful than it was, I have to go back on the 5th which is the next appointment that isnt in the middle of the day, currently contracting so dont want the further pain and expense of a lost days wages !

So, at the moment its ok some of the time, dull throb most of the time and then occasionally if I forget and have a cold drink f*cking agony.

Any suggestions on effective painkillers, Paracetemol seems to be ok but I was wondering if there are any better, ones, perhaps with beneficial side effects like mild hallucinations, euphoria or drowziness ?
Old 17 June 2007, 09:33 AM
richiewong
Twatful

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take Ibuprofen 400mg max 3 times per day with food or milk

Don't take it if you have a 'dodgy' stomach though.

You can take it with the Paracetamol if the pain is bad enough.
Old 17 June 2007, 09:53 AM
Chip
Scooby Regular

You should alternate Ibuprofen and paracetemol every four hours.

Chip
Old 17 June 2007, 10:05 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Its funny what you will put up with, you think its only a bit of toothache, but it must be pretty painful if it makes me sweat.
Old 17 June 2007, 10:17 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

TYLEX is the one to get ... see your Doctor for it ... knocks you out for hours of pain free sleep!!
Old 17 June 2007, 10:18 AM
Gymbal
Scooby Regular

Solpadeine is OTC and would complement the Ibuprofen, contains paracetamol so not as well as paracetamol....
Old 17 June 2007, 10:56 AM
swampster
Scooby Regular

Tamazepam or Diazepam are great for toothache.. my dentist regularly prescribes them for me... whilst they aren't exactly pain killers they get you in such a state that you just don't care any longer... and you'll sleep like a baby!

Last edited by swampster; 17 June 2007 at 12:17 PM.
Old 17 June 2007, 12:15 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

You can get dental specific paracetomol type things, which might help. As mentioned above, taking paracetomol and ibuprofen together (up to max dose of each) is fine - I was recommended to do exactly that when I had an abscess form under a filling (I'd turned down the option of stronger stuff as I try to avoid taking painkillers unless absolutely necessary). No-one recommended to me anything about alternating one and the other, just take both at regular intervals up to the recommended dose.

There are more potent things you can get on prescription. I could sell you an unopened pack of morphine equivalent things the hospital gave me in February when I'd had keyhole surgery* There are plenty of codeine based things you can get on prescription that are stronger than paracetomol, but personally I try and avoid them as codeine makes me feel nauseous and there have been cases where it can play havoc with your "waterworks".

Or you could just be a man, grit your teeth (not the bad one!) and tough it out!!

*N.B. before the flames start - whilst I do have an unopened pack of some mega-strength painkiller, I'm not seriously going to sell them to anyone.
Old 17 June 2007, 05:54 PM
MY,k436suy
Scooby Regular

Dihydrocodiene 30mg tabs, 12 a day,job done
Old 17 June 2007, 06:10 PM
magepaster
Scooby Regular

Good old Dihydrocodiene, couldn't live without 'em
Old 17 June 2007, 06:37 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Found some from when I had my nose op, still in date, diclofenac, they seem to do the trick !

Was in absolute agony with it earlier, had a cold cold drink, didnt think and that was that for an hour, nothing like being in pain with a houseful of kids charging round, doesnt increase tolerance and understanding.
Old 19 June 2007, 12:41 PM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

Diclofenac is more of an anti inflamatory usually prescribed for back and neck problems, must have been prescribed to reduce post op swelling, I suppose it can have a similar effect on swollen tissues around your tooth.

Please be very careful with Paracetamol dosage, I'm not sure of max dosage but it is quite low (IIRC 16x500mg tabs per day but don't trust my recollection). Overdose will lead to fatal liver damage.
Old 19 June 2007, 01:06 PM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

J4CKO...I am a dentist and I suggest next time you go if you are tired of the problems have the tooth extracted or a root canal treatment. A throbbing ache and sharp pains indicate that the nerve of the tooth is dying off or dead and there is probably not a lot more you can do about it.

How much do you want to keep the tooth? At the end of the day what I mentioned above is not definite as I have not seen you or the tooth but it seems that unfortunately that may be the case.

Paracetamol and Ibuprofen alternated every 3 hours after food is a good combo. Stick to the dose advised on the packet. Only take Ibuprofen if you have NO stomach problems and are NOT Asthmatic. If you have had it before with no problems that should be fine...if in doubt check with your GP or dentist.

I hope you get it sorted.
Old 19 June 2007, 01:13 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

and I suggest next time you go if you are tired of the problems have the tooth extracted or a root canal treatment.
...and you may just be as lucky as me and end up with 32 appointments over a period of 2 and a half years with mental pain every time he stuck that metal pokey measured rod thing into the canal...said there was a 'lateral' route that was impossible to treat etc and it would die eventually

Finally he crowned it (after refusing to remove the tooth) and only now about 8 months later do i feel it's safe to chew on the feckin thing
Old 19 June 2007, 01:26 PM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

I tend to give success rates when giving options for teeth like this and many people do opt for the extraction.
Old 19 June 2007, 01:33 PM
Longjing
Scooby Regular

Diclofenac is an NSAID like ibuprofen and ought to do the trick lovely. I think something with anti-inflammatory properties (like ibuproen or diclofenac/voltarol) is more effective on the teeth, personally. Paracetemol + codeine was less effective, even in the 16mg codeine strength.
Old 19 June 2007, 09:01 PM
Sti_Prodrive
Scooby Regular

Location: LONDON MANDEM - At Da V-Power Petty Station Fillin Up

Originally Posted by richiewong
Take Ibuprofen 400mg max 3 times per day with food or milk

Don't take it if you have a 'dodgy' stomach though.

You can take it with the Paracetamol if the pain is bad enough.
thats right !
Old 20 June 2007, 08:50 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

The pain was unbelievable on Sunday, I felt like crying like a big girl, sweating, it was probably the second worst pain I have felt, the first being when a customer gave me some home made wine, which I drank and it ended up with me on the floor in agony, either due to the pillock not rinsing the bottle cleaner out or it being Nettle wine with the stingers in, never found out.

Anyway, had to book and appointment before the one I have booked for the filling on the 9 th of July, earliest was at 10 today but its only half an hour so he wont be able to fill it, so will see what he can do, I just want it sorting, mainly as its painful (not as bad since sundays crescendo) and the expense, private dentristy is f*cking expensive but not as pricey as the time off, being an hourly paid IT contractor is great but rubbish when you have to take time off for stuff like this, plus I decided that I might as well have the rest of the day off seeing as I haven't had a day since early Feb, extra expense as well in the form of my wifes car needing 4 tyres, three hundred quid and I have to stay in for the mobile fitter, what a mug.
Old 20 June 2007, 09:35 AM
richiewong
Twatful

Is it safe?
Old 20 June 2007, 12:04 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Filling done, owwwww, he was drilling for ages, thought it was going to come out the top of my head !