Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Gilles Villeneuve

Search this Thread

Old 13 June 2007, 08:26 PM
Simon 69
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gilles Villeneuve

There's a lot of sh*te posted on YouTube; and a lot of that sh*te is then posted here too... This is altogether different though: if you think that F1 has regained a little excitement of late, or that Jensen Button is a tenacious racer, then watch this and be amazed.

YouTube - Gilles villeneuve vs Renè Arnoux best about 1979 F1

Simon
Old 13 June 2007, 08:33 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

SIAL, but still an amazing video, well worth a repeat viewing.
Old 13 June 2007, 08:38 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

28-year-old film and Flightman calls "SIAL".

Terrific footage.
Old 13 June 2007, 08:42 PM
tronlc
Scooby Regular

Thats proper racing and proper race drivers, not the train stuff of current F1.

Top clip
Old 13 June 2007, 08:46 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Walker whilst referring to Arnoux. 1:55sec.

"Aiming for a finish and if he finishes he will win at the speed he's going now"

Nice one, Murray.
Old 13 June 2007, 10:52 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JTaylor
Walker whilst referring to Arnoux. 1:55sec.

"Aiming for a finish and if he finishes he will win at the speed he's going now"

Nice one, Murray.
It makes sense!

[Arnoux is] Aiming for a finish, and if he finishes he will win at the speed he's going now (ie if hes keeps going at this rate, he might win it!)

Impressive footage however!
Old 13 June 2007, 10:55 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Remember seeing this - best F1 race ive ever seen........!
Old 14 June 2007, 12:29 AM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Trulli amazing
Old 14 June 2007, 11:37 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Yes a great bit of footage. I remember that one. F1 these days is getting exciting too though, I think we may see some great racing in the future-more cars with good drivers are becoming more evenly matched.

The extract also underlines Murray Walker's great skill as a commentator. Wish he was still doing it.

Les
Old 14 June 2007, 11:49 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Great footage, not seen that before so thanks for the link can you imagine the adrenaline going through them drivers in the last couple of laps? Bet they were shaking once they passed the finish line
Old 14 June 2007, 12:47 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One of the best ever finishes to an F1 race Here's another close finish YouTube - Formula 1 - 1986 - Nigel Mansell Vs Ayrton Senna

I also really like this video though YouTube - Patrick Depailler at Montreal in Tyrrell 008
Old 14 June 2007, 01:03 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

A truly great piece of racing, but then Gilles was brilliant, pity his son wasn't quite the same.

Also do a search on YouTube for Mansell and Senna at the Monaco GP 1992, the last few laps are amazing with Senna in a second rate McLaren holding one of the greatest overtakers the sport has ever seen at bay.
Old 14 June 2007, 01:33 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

That is some great driving What is scary is seeing how exposed the drivers are compared to modern F1 cars. I don't think Kubica would have 'got away' with just a broken leg if he had been driving one of them.

Also you can't have a classic F1 thread without Senna's first lap of Donington
Old 14 June 2007, 01:39 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chris L
That is some great driving What is scary is seeing how exposed the drivers are compared to modern F1 cars. I don't think Kubica would have 'got away' with just a broken leg if he had been driving one of them.

Also you can't have a classic F1 thread without Senna's first lap of Donington
Kubica didn't even break is leg and is quite likely to drive in this weekend's US GP

Agreed about Senna at Donington 1993 - stunning. The press conference after was hilarious when he asked Prost if he would like to swap cars
Old 14 June 2007, 02:02 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Look at Kubica's crash though and look at the one which killed Gilles Villeneurve. The difference in car technology is right there.

The nearest to Senna's has got to be the one where Schumacher ended up with just a broken leg.

5t.
Old 14 June 2007, 02:09 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Senna wasn't killed by the impact, but by a piece of the suspension flying off the car and hitting him in the head.

Watching Kubica on Sunday I was keeping my eye on the wheels that had detached with some of the suspension still attached and praying they missed him and everyone else which luckily they did. It was a massive shunt and an amazing test of the safety cell in modern F1 cars. Thank God he is OK.
Old 14 June 2007, 02:39 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Senna wasn't killed by the impact, but by a piece of the suspension flying off the car and hitting him in the head.

Watching Kubica on Sunday I was keeping my eye on the wheels that had detached with some of the suspension still attached and praying they missed him and everyone else which luckily they did. It was a massive shunt and an amazing test of the safety cell in modern F1 cars. Thank God he is OK.
Quite.

Roland Ratzenbergers fatal crash at Imola looked very similar to, but much less violent than Kubca's. The advances in driver safety over the years is phenomenal.
Old 14 June 2007, 06:54 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Certainly a very valid point - footage from Liuzzi's car behind was pretty scary - he had to sweve quite hard to miss a wheel with a suspension arm still on it landing on top of him! That could potential have killed him had in landed in the cockpit suspension arm first.

Kubica's car lost 3 of its wheels and they are held on with tethers which require something like 40 g's to pull them off! Is amazing he escaped with only a sprained ankle!
Old 14 June 2007, 06:55 PM
Olly
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulpalmer
I also really like this video though YouTube - Patrick Depailler at Montreal in Tyrrell 008
Awesome. The opposite lock, full bore slide at 4.05 looks more like Vatanen or Toivonen than Depallier.

Had completely forgotten that F1 drivers used to have a clutch pedal, a gear lever, heeled and toed their way down the 'box, and contained wheelspin with a little lift rather than an ECU.
Old 14 June 2007, 07:03 PM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Olly
Awesome. The opposite lock, full bore slide at 4.05 looks more like Vatanen or Toivonen than Depallier.

Had completely forgotten that F1 drivers used to have a clutch pedal, a gear lever, heeled and toed their way down the 'box, and contained wheelspin with a little lift rather than an ECU.
With the supposed banning of traction control next season maybe that'll come back. Because of course teams won't 'find a way around it'
Old 14 June 2007, 09:05 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's what makes it one of my favourite f1 videos on youtube this one is also awesome YouTube - Long Beach F1 - In Car Footage
Old 14 June 2007, 09:23 PM
BULLITT
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Simon 69
There's a lot of sh*te posted on YouTube; and a lot of that sh*te is then posted here too... This is altogether different though: if you think that F1 has regained a little excitement of late, or that Jensen Button is a tenacious racer, then watch this and be amazed.

YouTube - Gilles villeneuve vs Renè Arnoux best about 1979 F1

Simon
Shame his son can't follow suit.
Old 15 June 2007, 01:44 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

The way to underline that is to have a go at driving the 1960's F1 cars on TOCA 3. They are very good at spinning the wheels, and shortly after that-the car too!

Really glad to hear that Kubica should be fit to drive at Indy. He is another very skilled driver.

Les
Old 15 June 2007, 01:54 PM
SidWRXSTI
BANNED

Fantastic footage

They've just announced on German radio that Vettel will be driving this weekend in place of Kubica because any further bump on the head of Kubica so soon after his accident could give him brain damage.
Old 15 June 2007, 02:48 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SidWRXSTI
Fantastic footage

They've just announced on German radio that Vettel will be driving this weekend in place of Kubica because any further bump on the head of Kubica so soon after his accident could give him brain damage.
Sorry to hear that.

Les
Old 15 June 2007, 02:56 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Sorry to hear that.

Les
Les, it's only precautionary. he is perfectly OK, but what the F1 medical team quite rightly said is that another big shunt could have consequences compounded from last week's accident.

I think if there had been the usual 2 weeks between GPs he would have been OK to race.
Old 15 June 2007, 03:04 PM
Olly
Scooby Regular

Bit off topic, but thanks to this thread, (and mainly Paul I ended up watching a few old F1 clips last night.

Never, ever thought I would see something from motor racing that would make me heave. I am certainly not squeamish and never have been. But the footage from Tom Pryce's fatal collision with a marshall did just that. Especially the pictures of poor Tom himself.

Truly dreadful. Couldn't sleep over it.

F1 might be a bit of a parade for Bernie's robots these days, but if the payoff is a far safer sport, then I'm happier to accept the modern era of F1.
Old 16 June 2007, 01:04 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Bit off topic, but thanks to this thread, (and mainly Paul I ended up watching a few old F1 clips last night.

Never, ever thought I would see something from motor racing that would make me heave. I am certainly not squeamish and never have been. But the footage from Tom Pryce's fatal collision with a marshall did just that. Especially the pictures of poor Tom himself.

Truly dreadful. Couldn't sleep over it.

F1 might be a bit of a parade for Bernie's robots these days, but if the payoff is a far safer sport, then I'm happier to accept the modern era of F1.
Yes I agree with what you say. I still remember so many getting killed or seriously injured in motor racing generally. They used to show the crashes on Paddock Bend at Brands every weekend which had no room for error in those days-much better now that there is a bit of room to collect it all together.

Yes F1 Fan-sounds very sensible that Kubica should have a bit of time off to recover fully.

Les