Search this Thread

Old 13 June 2007, 12:38 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cornish Locals get extreme

Beware all you tourists!

A little OTT methinks....

Cornish extremists issue death threats against chefs Stein and Oliver | Showbiz | This is London
Old 13 June 2007, 01:01 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

OTT, but completely understandable. The affluence of many in the UK now at ridiculous levels, arrogance abounds and they have little or no consideration for many of the local communities that they buy their "trendy" second/holiday homes in, often at the cost of the local people who just can't afford to compete or even live there.
Old 13 June 2007, 01:08 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
OTT, but completely understandable. The affluence of many in the UK now at ridiculous levels, arrogance abounds and they have little or no consideration for many of the local communities that they buy their "trendy" second/holiday homes in, often at the cost of the local people who just can't afford to compete or even live there.
Circular argument. The locals didn't have to sell their houses in the first place to 'rich' incomers.

Attitude also displays woeful lack of understanding of the local economy. Tourism brings cash into the community. What next? Target the Garden of Eden project because it brings in tourists?
Old 13 June 2007, 01:20 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Flatcapdriver
Circular argument. The locals didn't have to sell their houses in the first place to 'rich' incomers.

Attitude also displays woeful lack of understanding of the local economy. Tourism brings cash into the community. What next? Target the Garden of Eden project because it brings in tourists?
The ones complaining have not sold their house at a fat profit since they could not afford to buy one in the first place to sell!

The strength of the local economy is of little consequence to those who cannot afford to live there in the first place to enjoy it and are fed up with people from upcountry buying second homes and then having the cheek to tell them how to live their own lives!

The Eden Project was built out in the sticks on the site of a disused quarry.

The tourists will come to enjoy the local scenery and beaches in a warmer part of the country rather than pay grossly inflated and rip off prices at Stein's and Oliver's cafes!

Les
Old 13 June 2007, 01:31 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Cornwall needs an "open and closed" housing market like the Channel Islands.

2nd home owners contribute naff all the the local economy apart from the odd shopping trip to the local supermarket.

Something does need to be done and an awful lot of "us" aren't eternally grateful to tourism and have no connection with it.

Amazing villages that once had a vibrant community all year round are now dead all winter. Whole stretches of coast are now "2nd homes only"

Not good.
Not eaten at 15 but tried all RS's places - the best one isn't the famous one!
Old 13 June 2007, 01:32 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
The ones complaining have not sold their house at a fat profit since they could not afford to buy one in the first place to sell!
And you know that, how? Your understanding of economics is sadly lacking. Tourism provides jobs, jobs provide employment, employment provides income, income secures mortgages.

There are plenty of properties in Cornwall from £80,000 to £150,000 which is hardly outrageous given the average UK property price. Educate yourself and do a search.

Ever hear Londoners complaining about Russians and other foreigners buying up huge swathes of London? Nope. People just get on with it.

As per usual, there are two sides to this argument and Les can only see his point of view.

Old 13 June 2007, 01:37 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy

2nd home owners contribute naff all the the local economy apart from the odd shopping trip to the local supermarket.

Something does need to be done and an awful lot of "us" aren't eternally grateful to tourism and have no connection with it.

Amazing villages that once had a vibrant community all year round are now dead all winter. Whole stretches of coast are now "2nd homes only"

Not good.
Matt, I can understand your perceived lack of connection to tourism but think about it. Tourism generates enormous revenue in your part of the world, allowing business to operate, pay taxes, employ people (who in turn pay taxes) which helps to keep your own costs down.

Unless all these second home owners have dilapidated properties that are falling down, then they must be employing local builders and tradesmen to maintain them.

Sure, you can argue that some of the areas become ghost towns during the off season and your point has merit but what would the locals be doing anyway? There's not a hell of a lot of industry outside of the main towns, except for agriculture which is going to pot but that's not a localised phenomenom.
Old 13 June 2007, 01:38 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cornwall National Liberation Front (CNLA) Shouldn't that be either Cornwall National Liberation Army or CNLF?????????

Anyway, enough of the oppression, I say free Cornwall.............

.............. in every packet of Cornflakes (Being Cornish I can say that )
Old 13 June 2007, 01:49 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Matt, I can understand your perceived lack of connection to tourism but think about it. Tourism generates enormous revenue in your part of the world, allowing business to operate, pay taxes, employ people (who in turn pay taxes) which helps to keep your own costs down.

Unless all these second home owners have dilapidated properties that are falling down, then they must be employing local builders and tradesmen to maintain them.

Sure, you can argue that some of the areas become ghost towns during the off season and your point has merit but what would the locals be doing anyway? There's not a hell of a lot of industry outside of the main towns, except for agriculture which is going to pot but that's not a localised phenomenom.

Fair comments but Cornwall does have a rapidly building industry in "flexible" working jobs - like ours (PR), IT, design and other industries but that's only recent - until probably two years ago, job opportunities were very poor and the only way to make money was/still is to go it set your own business up.
It's just sad to see beautiful villages like Port Isaac and Mousehole (and many others) completely dead in the middle on winter - people that used to live there would have been in fishing, government jobs (teaching for example) and other low paid but essential services - now there is no way they can live in their "home" village so have to move to rougher areas while the pretty village is empty.

I guess it's just galling when members of the community put so much into keeping it thriving (not financially) then have it all taken away when the entire village/town is bought up by people with no interest further than "having a nice view"
Old 13 June 2007, 01:56 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

It's just sad to see beautiful villages like Port Isaac and Mousehole (and many others) completely dead in the middle on winter - people that used to live there would have been in fishing, government jobs (teaching for example) and other low paid but essential services - now there is no way they can live in their "home" village so have to move to rougher areas while the pretty village is empty.

I guess it's just galling when members of the community put so much into keeping it thriving (not financially) then have it all taken away when the entire village/town is bought up by people with no interest further than "having a nice view"
My experience is that its usually the older generation that puts the effort into communities whilst the younger generation can't wait to get off to the big cities - obviously not always the case. The point is, why did these people sell up in the first place? Couldn't have had anything to do with there being no local jobs, could it? Or the opportunity to make a decent profit on the equity?

Personally, if I lived down there I'd be relishing the fact that the beaches were deserted for part of the year and that I had the place pretty much to myself.

Old 13 June 2007, 02:00 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

My experience is that its usually the older generation that puts the effort into communities whilst the younger generation can't wait to get off to the big cities - obviously not always the case. The point is, why did these people sell up in the first place? Couldn't have had anything to do with there being no local jobs, could it? Or the opportunity to make a decent profit on the equity?

Personally, if I lived down there I'd be relishing the fact that the beaches were deserted for part of the year and that I had the place pretty much to myself.

People sell up because; they've inherited a house, move for a job, to move to a cheaper area (jump on the band wagon ) and get a better house. Lots of reasons.

If you lived there you wouldn't relish it in winter as in many places nowhere is open - cafes, shops all closed, really depressing.
Old 13 June 2007, 02:05 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gpssti4
People sell up because; they've inherited a house, move for a job, to move to a cheaper area (jump on the band wagon ) and get a better house. Lots of reasons.

If you lived there you wouldn't relish it in winter as in many places nowhere is open - cafes, shops all closed, really depressing.
I know. That's precisely my point. Then the same people complain because all those nasty people who bought their homes (which they willingly sold) have helped push the market up.

The village we live in attracts some tourism on a reduced scale. We've even got the delights of the London - Brighton bike ride this weekend, when all the townies come out to throw their rubbish everywhere. What can you do? Just get on with it really...
Old 13 June 2007, 02:15 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Good to see this Cornish organisation showing a rational intelligent grown up approach to the liberation of their county...pause.... NOT!
That was a NOT joke...
These idiots just need locating and jailing...

Then again, if they want to put a 50 foot high wall across the border of the county let them. Give it 12 months and that county will be dead on it's bottom. These "anarchists" will have to find something else to campaign over such as human rights for hamsters or something equally as trivial as their initial campaign...
Old 13 June 2007, 02:16 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Matt,

This is nothing new though, is it?

When I was a kid we used to holiday in Cornwall, and remember that the locals were very much their own people, and not hugely overjoyed to be part of England.

Many considered themselves Cornish first, British second, but never "English"

Gotta agree with FCD above - its more complicated than outsiders simply buying up the villages and driving people out - the younger generations leave in search of something better (not realising that what they have is actually pretty good) and the older generations just die out.

We recently moved to the highlands of Scotland from the Central Belt, and yes, the house prices have been inflated by holiday home purchases and, to a lesser degree, incomers who can afford to pay more than many of the locals can. But the biggest problem, as the long term residents will tell you, is the fact that the new generations coming up generally leave when they can, in search of fame and fortune elsewhere.

And contrary to what Les has posted above, the locals who do sell to the holiday home buyers are quite happy thank you very much to pocket significant sums when they sell their houses.

The whole holiday home problem isn't new, though, is it? Haven't the Welsh been burning holiday cottages for years..

Last edited by Devildog; 13 June 2007 at 02:19 PM.
Old 13 June 2007, 02:19 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Abdabz
Good to see this Cornish organisation showing a rational intelligent grown up approach to the liberation of their county...pause.... NOT!
That was a NOT joke...
These idiots just need locating and jailing...

Then again, if they want to put a 50 foot high wall across the border of the county let them. Give it 12 months and that county will be dead on it's bottom. These "anarchists" will have to find something else to campaign over such as human rights for hamsters or something equally as trivial as their initial campaign...

Oh do button yer lip you patronising vacuous pillock. If you want to say something constructive, then say it. Otherwise go back to your Daily Mail lifestyle and leave others alone.
Old 13 June 2007, 02:26 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Cornish Passport and a 50m wall I say (we're not English and as such don't recognise the imperial system)

All in all it's a joke. Of course Cornwall coudn't survive on it's own - unless there is a charge for entering/leaving the county - ohI forgot, the Tamar bridge
Old 13 June 2007, 02:29 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

"this is a local county for local people"

idiots
Old 13 June 2007, 02:35 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

And you know that, how? Your understanding of economics is sadly lacking. Tourism provides jobs, jobs provide employment, employment provides income, income secures mortgages.

There are plenty of properties in Cornwall from £80,000 to £150,000 which is hardly outrageous given the average UK property price. Educate yourself and do a search.

Ever hear Londoners complaining about Russians and other foreigners buying up huge swathes of London? Nope. People just get on with it.

As per usual, there are two sides to this argument and Les can only see his point of view.

Well you have just demonstrated to us all that you accuse me in your last line of your own failings!

I started life in the London area and would not dream of going back to a place like that largely for the reasons you mention.

Can you list all these cheap properties in Cornwall. And do you really think that that even at these prices that locals can afford to buy them on their low wages? Would you like to live in what can only be a hovel at those prices?

I think you are shooting your mouth off with no regard for for the locals who are suffering. Seems like a pretty selfish attitude to me.

Les
Old 13 June 2007, 02:47 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Well you have just demonstrated to us all that you accuse me in your last line of your own failings!

I started life in the London area and would not dream of going back to a place like that largely for the reasons you mention.

Can you list all these cheap properties in Cornwall. And do you really think that that even at these prices that locals can afford to buy them on their low wages? Would you like to live in what can only be a hovel at those prices?

I think you are shooting your mouth off with no regard for for the locals who are suffering. Seems like a pretty selfish attitude to me.

Les
Les, instead of coming out with the usual crap that supports your marginalised views of life, why don't YOU do the search for properties in Cornwall and educate yourself for once instead of expecting others to do it for you.

I'll give you a clue. Google up 'properties in Cornwall'. Find Prime Location and type in the relevant price range. You've clearly got time on your hands, so you do it.

Secondly, read my posts above and you'll see I've been more than balanced. It really is a pain in the **** having to deal with coffin dodgers like yourself with pious condescending attitudes who spout rubbish, simply because someone else can see the bigger picture that doesn't tally with your own narrow minded view of the world.

I bet the locals really love you with your condescending view of them living in their £150,000 hovels.

Old 13 June 2007, 03:11 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Flatcap - I was actually impressed with your fairly balanced views. Makes a change from the usual patronising "we should be eternally grateful to all tourists" attitudes if many.
Old 13 June 2007, 03:20 PM
wrx-kris
Scooby Regular

in that case, cornish people make pikeys look good IMO
Old 13 June 2007, 03:45 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Flatcap - I was actually impressed with your fairly balanced views. Makes a change from the usual patronising "we should be eternally grateful to all tourists" attitudes if many.
Matt. I used to have a few customers down there, they may still be in existence or maybe not but the biggest issue they (and we) had was trunking costs. Geographically, Cornwall suffers from an industrial perspective with a poor infrastructure which could do with improving but then you face the environmental issues - I'm talking about paving over Bodmin, not climate change.

As you say, IT and associated business can flourish in the region with modern technology. Home networking may be part of the solution, which can help rebuild communities. There are a number of us working from home in my village which results in a quick chat whilst walking the dog, whilst others put up with the commuting slog - its a start anyway.

The small bit of tourism we get here keeps a few businesses afloat, so that's a benefit but naturally you do get a bit pissed off with them dropping litter all over the place and using the driveway as a turning circle but such is life.
Old 13 June 2007, 03:55 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Flatcap - where do you live (you may have mentioned it but I have the memory of a dumb goldfish at times)?

Cornwall is doing well at creating sustainable energy too but to me that's not the basis of a strong economy - it just supports one.
Old 14 June 2007, 12:19 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Les, instead of coming out with the usual crap that supports your marginalised views of life, why don't YOU do the search for properties in Cornwall and educate yourself for once instead of expecting others to do it for you.

I'll give you a clue. Google up 'properties in Cornwall'. Find Prime Location and type in the relevant price range. You've clearly got time on your hands, so you do it.

Secondly, read my posts above and you'll see I've been more than balanced. It really is a pain in the **** having to deal with coffin dodgers like yourself with pious condescending attitudes who spout rubbish, simply because someone else can see the bigger picture that doesn't tally with your own narrow minded view of the world.

I bet the locals really love you with your condescending view of them living in their £150,000 hovels.

I have to say that I was a bit surprised with the unpleasant nature of your post. It really is unnecessarily particularly rude and so silly over a subject which really does not need to be that contentious. You must be on a short fuse accentuated by the fact that perhap's you just can't stand anyone disagreeing with your personal views. Maybe you just suffer from a personal bias against me in particular for other reasons which does of course tend to weaken your argument.

Les
Old 14 June 2007, 12:52 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

Nope they didn't but someone did, so they basically got stabbed in the back by there own and blame the incoming people.
Old 14 June 2007, 04:45 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

I have to say that I was a bit surprised with the unpleasant nature of your post. It really is unnecessarily particularly rude and so silly over a subject which really does not need to be that contentious. You must be on a short fuse accentuated by the fact that perhap's you just can't stand anyone disagreeing with your personal views. Maybe you just suffer from a personal bias against me in particular for other reasons which does of course tend to weaken your argument.

Les
No. I just think you're a prat who comes prancing into threads, completely failing to read the context subsequently coming out with the most sanctimonious crap and then lamely attempts to play the injured party. Its a constant them of your replies - its almost formulaic.

Short fuse? Nope. Just don't suffer fools gladly.
Old 14 June 2007, 05:19 PM
Holy Ghost
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Not good.

try 'no.6' on middle street. it's under new management: bunch of us ate there last (wet) bank holiday. just sublime - up there with ripley's in st merryn (michelin star) if you know it. two thumbs good.
Old 14 June 2007, 05:23 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Holy - No6 is indeed very good - in fact better than the restaurant in many ways. I prefer the Bistro though - much more relaxed and great food.

Not tried Ripleys but the local papers keep squawking about it's star - One of three places in Cornwall with one (I think).

Food has certainly improved enormously here.
Old 14 June 2007, 05:34 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

started reading about this and had to google

i was convinced that cornwall was attached to the uk and after reading they had a different flag i got confused and thought it was an island

bloody Cornish

cracking pasties mind

Quick Reply: Cornish Locals get extreme