Air Conditioning / AC

Search this Thread

Old 10 June 2007, 09:57 PM
Sti_Prodrive
Scooby Regular

Location: LONDON MANDEM - At Da V-Power Petty Station Fillin Up
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Air Conditioning / AC

Hey guys I need a really good & best wall air conditioning machine for my lil box room as it’s always very hot in there... I have a big window but no fresh air due to a big Teacher Training Centre.

Any advice.... ?
Old 10 June 2007, 10:06 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

I bought a portable one from Homebase a couple of years back, about 300 quid, and jesus it can make a room seriously cold.
Old 10 June 2007, 10:15 PM
Sti_Prodrive
Scooby Regular

what make is it? & how big is it? i need to know as i have very small space in my lil box room & i was thinking of somthing for the wall... like a rectangle with a remote.. Also do you have a pipe with it for water that comes out or any filters that u need 2 change?
Old 11 June 2007, 12:21 AM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

The only air conditioners worth having are those with external heat exchangers (i.e. a thermally insulated pipe carrying the coolant to the externally mounted radiator). The standalone units are a joke, in an enclosed room they can only increase temperature overall (cool air out the front, hot air out the back!). Window mounted units are also not very efficient at expelling the heat. Look for the energy rating as a guide to how good they are, some AC unit can use 2 to 3 times more electricity to provide the same amount of cooling.

Have you considered just using a fan? An AC unit for a small room sounds expensive.
Old 11 June 2007, 02:27 PM
Sti_Prodrive
Scooby Regular

I'll tell u the trust.. fan's dont really cool me down at all nor do they give that proper coolness around the room like AC would... taking into account 2 Laptops, 1 Computer, 2 Games consoles, 2 Very big TV, 1 High volt lamp, 3 Mobile phone chargers, Full hifi system so on & so 4th... this is why I need a nice Air Conditioning / AC system..
Old 11 June 2007, 02:47 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try turning off the 1 of the phone chargers

Have you tried the local DIY shops. As has been said, really you need to 'pump' the heat outside of the room/building. As such you'll need an external heat exchanger.

I don't know what the small units are like - I may have a look myself sometime - especially if we're in for a hot summer.
Old 11 June 2007, 02:54 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Do the job right and get a proper split system. A plug-and-go/Easy-fit unit would suffice if you up to boring holes through your walls (mind you should do that with a all-in-one portable unit anyway).

If it has to be a portable, make sure its a split type (separate indoor and outdoor units).

As all-in-one portables, as sort of mentioned above suck in the room air (which is supposed to be cooled), and eject it outside, drawing more warm air into the room...which it has to cool. Not to mention the heat it gives off and the noise of a compressor and two high volume fans.

Another thing to be wary on portables is the manufactures basically lie about their performance - if it reccomends a rooms size...halve it!

What to pay? Well you can get a cheap fixed plug-and-go/easy-fit system for £400 plus fitting (if you don't want to do it DIY ). A coventional split system is cheaper, but you pay more for fitting and comissioning.

If you know someone abroad in Europe - its much cheaper to source a unit from there.
Old 11 June 2007, 04:01 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Plenty of the smaller stand alone units are good enough if you don't mind the noise and you can seal the window so the the exit pipe is the only way for the air to travel. As has been said the rating for room sizes by manufaturers are optimistic at best so assume less than half of what is says on the box.
Old 11 June 2007, 04:47 PM
Sti_Prodrive
Scooby Regular

Im after somthing abit like this.. somthing which I can have on the wall

air conditioning Wall Mounted - Google Product Search

nice prices i mst say!!!

Last edited by Sti_Prodrive; 11 June 2007 at 05:29 PM.
Old 12 June 2007, 01:16 AM
paulwrxboro
Scooby Regular

try this http://www.chinesegallery.com/images...peacockfan.jpg
my advice is free
Old 12 June 2007, 01:41 AM
Huxley
Scooby Regular

We have 3 split systems at home and the last one for HCs office cost me a around £200, It was a LG System (LG S09AHP) from the local supplier "NRS" the Lime pump kit cost £65 and the pipe and lagging cost me about £30 fitted most of the kit myself and a local chap came round and evac and gassed it up for £70 Bargain and it's a heater as well

The two other units are both 12000 btu those were around £300 each and we never have a problem getting to sleep at night when it's hot

These are not a bad price Products to enhance your life

And my boss has a B & Q Airforce easy fit unit and that works well B&Q Online they have more in the heating and cooling booklet

Last edited by Huxley; 12 June 2007 at 01:50 AM. Reason: Added some info
Old 12 June 2007, 12:20 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

You need to get whatever this was an advert for

Steve
Old 15 June 2007, 12:02 PM
Sti_Prodrive
Scooby Regular

bloody hell... do they all come with a outdoor connection with a jumbo jet fan??? I just checked the link & there is a big A$$ fan that comes with it

I bet that mst sound like a jumbo jet wen its turn on right ???
Old 15 June 2007, 03:51 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

They all have to exhaust hot air outside somehow, be it via a air duct/elephant trunk, or refrigerant pipes to an outdoor unit...that's how a/c works....for as much cooling effort they give, they create a greater heating effect - which is why they are excellent at heating (refer to: heat pumps).

Yes, the all-in-one types are noisy. Split types are quieter, fixed units quieter still.

Last edited by Shark Man; 15 June 2007 at 03:53 PM.
Old 15 June 2007, 05:09 PM
AudiHater
Scooby Regular

Remember Daiken and Mitsubishi quote their rating on an agreed standard. A 5KW Daiken will be the same as a 15kw cheap Japanese system and use 1/10th the energy. I have a Mitsubishi multi split system that produces a genuine 6 KW of cooling and only uses 400 Watts of energy
Old 15 June 2007, 07:44 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Ahh the kW Electrical input power vs the rated kW/BTU output saga.

It is indeed true thet the rated Kw output system is always higher than the physical electrical current they draw at 230/240v. If the compressor is rated at 1kW electrical it is impossible for it to output 3.5kW of cooling power. Yet you look at the ouput ratings and compare it to the input rating on the serial number plate on the side/back, according to them they magically create energy!....well not quite, here's why:

Reason being, is when measuring the output power, the manufacturer factors in environmental conditions which give the unit a "helping hand". In some cases that helping hand being a cold winters day ouside when in cooling mode. If the temperature surrounding the condenser is colder (outdoor unit), then the system will gain extra efficiency from that and in turn have a greater output power.

Of course who uses their airconsitioning on a cold winter's day, likewise using a heat pump on a hot summer's day. Yes, insome cases its over-exaggerated codswallop.

The better manufacturers are more honest, the cheap manuafcturers tell porkies It's quite easy to work out; if a room needs a 1kw heater to keep warm in winter, it will need an a/c unit of at least 1kw or more ELECTRICAL power to cool it in summer...yet a 1kw unit is often rated at 12000BTU which equates to 3.5kW...err where did the extra 2.5kW come from...from thin air? (well actually, it did ).

If you can make sense of all that, good for you. If you don't, just remember, you cannot get more energy out of a system that what you put in.