Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Printers........aaaarrrgh!

Search this Thread

Old 10 June 2007, 08:17 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Angry Printers........aaaarrrgh!

My first FOUR were Epson. Each one lasted around ten months on a maintenance contract, the final one being binned after the contract ran out, and it yet again broke down.

Now we have a Canon. Recently it displays a message: "Used ink tank full", refuses to print and refuses to acknowledge that I have put a new black cartridge in WTF is a "USED INK TANK"??????? Canon refuse to tell me how to empty it and want loads of dosh to do it.

A new Canon is only £26, but needs CANON cartridges at £15 each No generic ones available.

Since most of our printing is done in b&w, should I buy an HP Laser printer?

What kills me is that my bro in law has an OLD Epson which has never put a foot wrong and prints photos pin sharp. Mine wouldn't EVER do that, and it was SUPPOSED to be a photo printer

Alcazar
Old 10 June 2007, 08:20 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Always found that Epson are the best.(imo)
Old 10 June 2007, 08:37 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Epson here, using R200 and never put a foot wrong, got pished off paying £45 a set of carts so its now running on a bulk ink system.

All it needs is calibrating and its sorted, downside is I can only do A4.

Oh and yes it gets intermitant use, doesn't get used for months then I kill tanks in hours.
Old 10 June 2007, 08:40 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Simon C
Epson here, using R200 and never put a foot wrong, got pished off paying £45 a set of carts so its now running on a bulk ink system.

All it needs is calibrating and its sorted, downside is I can only do A4.

Oh and yes it gets intermitant use, doesn't get used for months then I kill tanks in hours.
Snap !!

Get yourself an Epson Photo R200 and a continous ink feed system of Ebay for £25.
Mine ROCKS !! and I have not filled it yet.
Old 10 June 2007, 08:44 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

The used ink tank, is a tank/ felt pad that takes all the surplus ink from head clean cycles/ startup shutdown sequences...

until the sensor that covers that operation/ gets an ok signal, the printer aint going to work..... if thers so cheap, take it apart and have a look

failing that, buy a proper b&w laser printer... I have a HP bw laser that i use for day to day printing... and a hp all in one for the colour stuff (as if) its rendered usless at the mo, as the black cartridge has time expired and it refuses to print even in colour... even when i did it was expensive... £27 for a colour cartridge so i use the colour phaser printer for my colour stuff.. total cost at the mo for that is £0 my old works gave me 3 of them & inks & service kits

The BW laser printer was £7 at a car boot sale as well
Mart
Old 10 June 2007, 08:58 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Colour lasers are dirt cheap these days. I have an Oki C5200 that I bought a couple of years ago.
Old 10 June 2007, 10:13 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Ahh, the waste ink tank is full, presuming its an inkjet, Its a tank that sits below the printhead when its in the parked position (usually right hand side) you have to take it apart to clean it out...messy job so be warned.

Had to do a few Hewlet Packards and Xerox injets over the years after they overflowed everywhere (tip: never tip up or turn an inkjet on its side ).

If its a laser printer, some have a waste toner bottle that fills up, it's a simple case of swapping it for an empty one.

Last edited by Shark Man; 10 June 2007 at 10:15 PM.
Old 10 June 2007, 10:27 PM
Sti_Prodrive
Scooby Regular

Location: LONDON MANDEM - At Da V-Power Petty Station Fillin Up
Epson are good BUT they give u a hard time!!!! they make 2 much noiseeee its like cuting down a tree wen your printing !!!
Old 10 June 2007, 11:06 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

My Samsung has a waste toner thing and a sensor stops you printing when it's full. Samsung say you need a new one and you will catch Aids if you interfere. In fact you just need to tip out the old toner and wash out with warm soapy water and all is well.

I have a £50 HP Laser Jet B/W 1018 for regular stuff. Fantastic machine (fingers crossed). dl
Old 11 June 2007, 10:38 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by David Lock
My Samsung has a waste toner thing and a sensor stops you printing when it's full. Samsung say you need a new one and you will catch Aids if you interfere. In fact you just need to tip out the old toner and wash out with warm soapy water and all is well.

I have a £50 HP Laser Jet B/W 1018 for regular stuff. Fantastic machine (fingers crossed). dl
That's the one I'm thinking of getting. They are nearly the same price brand new as on Flea-Bay.

Alcazar
Old 11 June 2007, 10:58 AM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

We've got laserjet's at work - mainly 1200's & 1250's.

They run well.

After about 3-4 years service the fuser units give up and the whole thing is binned & replaced.

We also have a 3500 MFP which for the money is fantastic. Again causes no problems.

for colour printing we use a HP2500 which (although more expensive) is trouble free.
Old 11 June 2007, 11:08 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I've got an HP Laserjet 6P that sits here at home and prints (slowly admitedly) when required. It wheezes a bit but does what it says on the tin. Had it for at least 8 years! Maybe 10, can't remember. Cost £400 at the time but hasn't put a foot wrong ever.

HP Photosmart for photos which eats ink and a Samsung Colour Laser which I was given but hardly ever use, so can't comment how good it is!

Last edited by Puff The Magic Wagon!; 11 June 2007 at 11:10 AM.
Old 11 June 2007, 11:35 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

I have a canon i695 for photoprinting, its done bulk work (brochures and portfolio pics) and have never given me jip, and running costs are favourable. (about 3pnce per page black and 14p per page colour). Barring it fafffing around everytime I turn it on.

I do think however that newer Canons aren't as good, it seems that Canon are now moving away from BCi-6 range of inktanks as purely a money making excercise, as the later ranges that use different cartridges (and more of them), that seem to work out as costing more money to run (especially on colour work)..hmmm

Bulk printing these days is handled by a Epson CX11 and a C1100 colour laser, mostly for black work, the the colour is handy for letterheads and stuff. Running costs so far are panning out to as what it says on the tin: under 2 pence per page black and 8 pence colour (that includes toner and a new drum)....which no inkjet can match - Some of which are upto 50 pence per page on comparable colour work (thats A4 normal paper). Plus they are very fast for mono work (Colour on par with the average inkjet in normal/draft mode).

£45 toner cartridges and a £120 drum is an **** though as is the amount of times they seem to faff about and automatically re-calibrate, and the print drivers are pants (for XP64, probably vista too) but seeing both printers use the same consumbles I can get bulk order discounts, so its scraped a few tenths of a penny off the running costs.

Question is, they are still relatively new, so knowing if the the investment of more expensive (but cheap to run) laser printers over cheap inkets (but expensive to run) will pan out in the long run....its down to how many long the units last before they give up and die. Anything over 5 years and I should more be quids in (fingers crossed).

Last edited by Shark Man; 11 June 2007 at 11:41 AM.
Old 11 June 2007, 12:30 PM
krazy
Scooby Regular

Which model is it, you should be able to find the reset code/button sequence to reset the counter and get rid of that message. Something along these lines canon i320- i255 waste error - fixyourownprinter.com

Course if the ink tank is really full you might want to empty it, in the last printer I took apart/fixed the ink tank was just a foam block in the base of the printer.
Old 11 June 2007, 01:51 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by krazy
Which model is it, you should be able to find the reset code/button sequence to reset the counter and get rid of that message. Something along these lines canon i320- i255 waste error - fixyourownprinter.com

Course if the ink tank is really full you might want to empty it, in the last printer I took apart/fixed the ink tank was just a foam block in the base of the printer.
Yeah, it's been done once, but has displayed the same message withing a couple of weeks, and WILL NOT recognise that we've put a new black cartridge in

I'll have a look at that site now, thanks.

Alcazar
Old 11 June 2007, 02:04 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Woo-hoo . Went into that site krazy posted, found MY printer, performed reset, it seems to work Fingers crossed.

Cheers krazy, people like you are the salt of the earth.

Alcazar
Old 11 June 2007, 05:01 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

I bet Cadburys Mini-egg that he typed "canon waste ink tank" into google