Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Offshore

Search this Thread

Old 08 June 2007, 10:14 PM
andy_s37
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Offshore

I've just looked at the age,occ,car thread in SNG and there are loads of people wprking offshore. I'm currently working on a CHP with an aero derivative GT and have considered trying to go offshore as an operator. Whats the best way to do this. Would be nice to get in with a company thats going to pay for my survival course.

Andy.
Old 08 June 2007, 11:18 PM
Carl Davey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Paying for your survival shows a commitment to working offshore on your part and only costs a few hundred quid. RGIT and Falck Nutec are the folks offering the course in Aberdeen. I've just done my four year refresher at Nutec after doing the initial training at RGIT and i'd recommend Nutec, i think they're also cheaper. Once you've got your ticket you want to try the likes of Petrofac, AMEC, Wood Group and Brown & Root. You've just missed BP's most recent recruitment drive although i think Shell may have one coming up soon.

It is operations experience you have with the gas turbine or service/maintenance? Having the latter would stand you in better stead as a mechanical technician. Depending on your depth of knowledge you may want to consider sending your CV to Solar as they seem to have an ever-increasing number of units in the North Sea.

I'm an operations technician / control room technician on BPs Bruce installation. Pay is good and as the platform is a bit of a spring chicken at 14 years old (!) conditions are pretty good too.