Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

success reclaiming bank charges :-)

Search this Thread

Old 08 June 2007, 11:42 AM
lukey1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default success reclaiming bank charges :-)

yesterday i recieved a letter from my bank stating that that they are prepared to offer me £xxxx as full and final settlement for the charges applied to my account over the last 6 years. It has only taken 2 letters which were taken directly from moneysavingexpert.com and a small amount of my own time over 2weeks.

just wondered how many others have been successfull and how easy it was.

Last edited by lukey1; 08 June 2007 at 01:36 PM.
Old 08 June 2007, 11:44 AM
Scooby Snacks 23
Scooby Regular

If you're happy with the offer, then well done you
Old 08 June 2007, 11:53 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

What charges did you incurr then?

Is it more than just going overdrawn? Did it once, complained about the £25 and they gave it back.

Does this involve other charges?
Old 08 June 2007, 11:55 AM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

What situations can you claim back charges?

I was charged 20quid by Morgan Stanley a couple of years back when I paid off my credit card a day late - could I get this back?
Old 08 June 2007, 11:58 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lukey1
yesterday i recieved a letter from my bank stating that that they are prepared to offer me £xxxx as full and final settlement for the charges applied to my account over the last 6 years. It has only taken 2 letters which were taken directly from themoneysavingexpert.co.uk and a small amount of my own time over 2weeks.

Nice one, i would not setle for any less that 90% BTW

We are in the process of claiming charges back from LTSB.
at the second stage having asked for copies of he last 6 years ststements, we have 4 years worth but wan the extra 2.
the back has only 2 days (out of the 40) left to respond to this.
Old 08 June 2007, 12:10 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm helping my eldest with this against LTSB at the mo. They haven't even responded to our first letter yet, andf it was posted 36 days ago

Is the 40 days just days, or "working/banking days"?

Alcazar

So far, in his dealings with them, he's found them to be unhelpful. He's had to go onto a very low wage to finish his training, so rang them to ask for advice/possible reduction in charges.

Their suggestion? Sell his car............great idea, then he can't get to his job at all, being as it's in the next town
I reckon he needs to close his account with them asap.

Last edited by alcazar; 08 June 2007 at 12:13 PM.
Old 08 June 2007, 12:24 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
I'm helping my eldest with this against LTSB at the mo. They haven't even responded to our first letter yet, andf it was posted 36 days ago

Is the 40 days just days, or "working/banking days"?

Alcazar

So far, in his dealings with them, he's found them to be unhelpful. He's had to go onto a very low wage to finish his training, so rang them to ask for advice/possible reduction in charges.

Their suggestion? Sell his car............great idea, then he can't get to his job at all, being as it's in the next town
I reckon he needs to close his account with them asap.

Hi there,
40 days - i have taken that as 40 days, not working days.
LTSB responded to our first letter with the usual patronising response, we responded with the stock second letter and cheque for £ 10.00 (statement fee) so they had no excuses.

Tried calling their reclaim number 01264 832297 and taken through the automated system without any luck, operators always busy, eventually puts you though to a voice mail which is always full. Done this more times that i care to mention.
Look like we will go the small claims route and pro rata the two missing years charges.

Last edited by The Zohan; 08 June 2007 at 12:44 PM.
Old 08 June 2007, 12:28 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

My daughter got a cheque from HSBC for £4,700 ...........
Old 08 June 2007, 12:33 PM
lukey1
Scooby Regular

all charges were for excess overdraft fee and service charges for using the overdraft facility.
Old 08 June 2007, 01:14 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

all charges were for excess overdraft fee and service charges for using the overdraft facility.
I know of one, I haven't demanded back (£25). But what are these service charges? do you get charged for using your overdraft facility other than interest?

I've only got £100 overdraft but I've had the account for almost 15 years.
Old 08 June 2007, 01:21 PM
lukey1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
I know of one, I haven't demanded back (£25). But what are these service charges? do you get charged for using your overdraft facility other than interest?

I've only got £100 overdraft but I've had the account for almost 15 years.

yes i do get charged for using the overdraft and the excess charges if i go over the limit.

bank is First Direct btw
Old 08 June 2007, 01:27 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

I really wouldn't hold your breath for a proper response within 40 days. My g/f asked for her statements for 6 years back in March, she's only got 1 years worth of statements back. She's with the Abbey and she calls every other day for them to comply but they don't.
Old 08 June 2007, 01:37 PM
lukey1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555
I really wouldn't hold your breath for a proper response within 40 days. My g/f asked for her statements for 6 years back in March, she's only got 1 years worth of statements back. She's with the Abbey and she calls every other day for them to comply but they don't.
did you send a letter requesting the statements or just called,
Old 08 June 2007, 01:39 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

She called and they deducted the required £10
Old 08 June 2007, 01:43 PM
rgv_stu
Scooby Regular

excuse me for being a bit thick but what charges can you claim back for ??
Old 08 June 2007, 01:58 PM
lukey1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555
She called and they deducted the required £10
follow the link on the website, the letters are already there you just fill in the blanks, account details etc, everything should be done in writing.

first direct destroyed the £10 cheque i sent them saying it a free service and to expect the statements to sent out by courier but would not say how long before i would recieved them. They arrived in a weeks time.
Old 08 June 2007, 02:00 PM
lukey1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rgv_stu

Bank Charges: Reclaim them, they're unlawful, get up to six years' money back...
Old 08 June 2007, 02:02 PM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rgv_stu
Go to Money Saving Expert: Consumer Revenge - Credit Cards, Shopping, Bank Charges, Cheap Flights and more as in the first post.

It's been all over the news for the last two years or so.

It has been decided that banks aren't allowed to enforce PENALTY charges, they are only allowed to charge for their specific expenses and a reasonable amount for the service. Therefore, the 35 or whatever pounds you get charged for going over limits, a DD failing etc etc is potentially illegal.

Several of my friends have done this in recent months and got a substantial amount of money back.

And congrats to the OP!
Old 09 June 2007, 12:46 AM
JamieMacdonald
Scooby Regular

I don't begrudge all these people claiming back thousands of pounds, but surely in the majority of cases they have been blatantly irresponsible with their finances, and pretty much got away with it!

<Flame suit on>
Old 09 June 2007, 02:41 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JamieMacdonald
I don't begrudge all these people claiming back thousands of pounds, but surely in the majority of cases they have been blatantly irresponsible with their finances, and pretty much got away with it!

<Flame suit on>
fair point, but nobodies perfect. people make simple mistakes, its human nature. its happened to me before, where i went £3.59 over an agreed £600 overdraft for less than 24 hours. my bank wanted to charge that account £35 for the mistake on my part. i blatently refused to pay and threatened with closing my accounts, making formal complaints, court etc etc. was probably just me being an **** hole, but for the sake of less than 4quid, there was no way in hell they were gonna charge me 10 times the amount. no way what so ever. it was overlooked and i got a slap on the wrist. hence the overdrafts on my accounts for financial slip ups.

andy (here borrow my flame suit)
Old 09 June 2007, 03:51 AM
JamieMacdonald
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
fair point, but nobodies perfect. people make simple mistakes, its human nature. its happened to me before, where i went £3.59 over an agreed £600 overdraft for less than 24 hours. my bank wanted to charge that account £35 for the mistake on my part. i blatently refused to pay and threatened with closing my accounts, making formal complaints, court etc etc. was probably just me being an **** hole, but for the sake of less than 4quid, there was no way in hell they were gonna charge me 10 times the amount. no way what so ever. it was overlooked and i got a slap on the wrist. hence the overdrafts on my accounts for financial slip ups.

andy (here borrow my flame suit)
I've done it myself, missed my first credit card payment years ago and gave them some **** and bull story about thinking a DD would be set up to cover the minimum payment (same bank for current account and credit card) . They waived the fee and I got the DD set up there and then, never missed a payment since!

I'm talking more about the people I've read about who's fees have gone into the £0000's, e.g.

Originally Posted by r32
My daughter got a cheque from HSBC for £4,700 ...........
I mean, that's a £35 fee every month, for over 11 years!!!!!

Obviously certain circumstances are beyond people's control, but I have just been shocked by reading how much people have spent on bank charges - which I agree are astronomical, and not representative of the true cost to the bank.
Old 09 June 2007, 07:28 AM
molko
Scooby Regular

yesterday i recieved a letter from my bank stating that that they are prepared to offer me £xxxx as full and final settlement for the charges applied to my account over the last 6 years. It has only taken 2 letters which were taken directly from moneysavingexpert.com and a small amount of my own time over 2weeks.

nice work fella, only accept it if its 90% or above. Try to make sure you get the full amount back
Old 09 June 2007, 08:15 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JamieMacdonald

<Flame suit on>
I agree whole-heartedly with that. Yes, there are occasions where the customer make a genuine mistake, like transferrig funds into the wrong account, forgetting how much they had in their own account, how much their overdraft limit is etc etc. But, if they keep on doing it, then what do they expect? It's an UNAUTHORISED TRANACTION, end of story. What would you do if someone started taking funds from your own account? Think you would be a little 'niggled' to say the least!

Congratulations to those who successfully claimed these charges back. Now bl*ody learn from it!