Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Kwik-Fit's air conditioning service - anyone tried it?

Search this Thread

Old 05 June 2007, 08:39 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Kwik-Fit's air conditioning service - anyone tried it?

Surely it's easy to make a car 10% colder (their "promise") just by running the aircon for longer after the car arrives at their garage?

But in any case, anyone had any experience of this service?
Old 05 June 2007, 09:39 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

have they got the machines in yet?

my mate told me a few weeks back that they had not got the machine yet.

they could be rolling them out slowly across all the depots

i actually did mine yesterday with a large DIY kit, have never had mine checked in 4/5 years, and when connecting the kit it told me it was pretty much empty, after adding the full can into the system there is a good improvement in the cold air coming out, but the built in gauge was telling me it was still low on gas (kits are supposed to be for topping up not refilling)

from memory my mate said it took quite a while as the kwick fit service actually removed everything from the system and then checked for leaks and then oiled up/replaced the gas
Old 05 June 2007, 09:46 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Thanks Micky - yeah we've got the machines at Kwik Fits down here, i was just wondering whether it's worth shelling out for this overhaul rather than continue to use my top-up kit (which to be honest with you i don't think has made much, if any, difference at all).
Old 05 June 2007, 09:49 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

i have a feeling the scoob aircon might just be crap full stop

when you use the top up kit does it have a gauge fitted to let you know how much gas in in the system?

if its full of gas then its probably as good as its going to get?
mine was barley showing on the gauge and i think a good system was approx 45psi (will get the gauge out the bin and check)

i did read yesterday that the average system will loose 5/10% of its gas per year.
Old 05 June 2007, 09:51 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Undercharge the system by 10% and you may get 10% more cooling power...less is more in some cases

It'll probably be an automated recycler; They just punch in the weight of refrigerant needed and press go. It'll evacuate the system, vaccum down to negative pressure, then refill. They are pretty much foolproof - even I can use one (having previously done system the old-school way these are like microwaving a ready-dinner).

Only issues is if any oil taken out the system is replaced, it should do it. But generally, a routine "service" on a automotive a/c should have the dryer unit replaced (as that retains moisture and contaminents - think of it as like the oil filter on an engine ), in which case oil is added to compensate for the lost oil that was still in the dryer when it was replaced.

Very rarely is the dryer replaced in any claimed a/c "service". But that could be me with an **** point of view.

Better still - sod the above and use Butane - much better refridgerant (I'm seriously considering it on my old Jag...since swapping from R12 to R134a, the hoses leak like a sieve )

Last edited by Shark Man; 05 June 2007 at 09:55 AM.
Old 05 June 2007, 09:53 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

on my gauge
0-25 psi =low
25-45 psi is considered full
45-65 psi = alert
65-200 psi = warning

mine was showing approx 5psi when i first connected it
Old 05 June 2007, 09:56 AM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

I've used one of those top up kits from Halfords too, did the trick last year and is still working ok. Doesn't work out that much cheaper than a proper aircon service though by the time you've bought the guage to go with it.
How much are Kwik Fit charging?
Old 05 June 2007, 09:59 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bugeyeandy
I've used one of those top up kits from Halfords too, did the trick last year and is still working ok. Doesn't work out that much cheaper than a proper aircon service though by the time you've bought the guage to go with it.
How much are Kwik Fit charging?

how much was the halfords kit??

the one i bought from a supplier cost me about £20 and came with a reusable gauge, although RRP was supposed to be about £45 from memory (invoice is at home)
Old 05 June 2007, 09:59 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Mine has a gauge, yes, and i've filled it to the top of the "normal" range, about 40psi or something. But it's definitely not as efficient now as it used to be, so i'm wondering whether a trip to Kwik Fit will diagnose what's wrong or whether they'll just pump it full of new gas and send me on my way once they've "achieved" my 10% cooler reading...
Old 05 June 2007, 10:01 AM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

how much was the halfords kit??
It was about £20 for the can of gas and another £20 or so for the guage that I didn't realise you needed!

Local mobile aircon chaps round here charge £40 - £50 for a top up so didn't save me much but should have enough left in the can to do it a couple of times more. £20 is definitely a steal for the whole kit.
Old 05 June 2007, 10:01 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

If you know anybody who travels to the States a lot, ask them to bring you back a refill kit if that's what you're happy to use, as EVERY car has aircon there so they're cheap as chips, and way cheaper than anything i've seen in Halfrauds etc.
Old 05 June 2007, 10:02 AM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

I also find that if you stick the re-circ button on when you first get in the car it gets a hot car down to cold much quicker. Air coming out of the vents seems to be much colder too that way.
Old 05 June 2007, 10:06 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

bought mine from

Maccess Online but you will need an account

they do a smaller size cans from £11 plus the VAT, infact just checking the mailout i got they do pretty much the lot, including a heavy duty charge kit for £115.89

could probably make some cash from the heavyduty kit if you were that way inclined............
Old 05 June 2007, 10:25 AM
apples24
Scooby Regular

blimey do your research even for the joe public theres blokes who will come out mobile and test refil a aircon system for £40 odd, i get it done for £20 but then he is a mate, but ive spokje to various chappies in the past who will fill em up for £40 dearest i saw was £50, for that they drain it to test vacume for a leak then refill to correct volume
Old 05 June 2007, 12:46 PM
Nigel H
Scooby Regular

Tel.

I used the one in Billericay last year and it was as described by Shark Man. Cost IIRC was £50, took about an hour and it was 'OK'.

After having it filled up it then lost all of its gas within 4 months and I found out the reason - I had a leaky pipe, so I'm not sure how it passed their stand up test. Whatever.

I've used :: Welcome To Bonair's Website :: as well. Mike's a good bloke who comes round to you cost IIRC £60