Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Any Hi-Fi people on here, advice needed..

Search this Thread

Old 04 June 2007, 09:51 PM
MTayler
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Hi-Fi people on here, advice needed..

Basically I'm looking to upgrade my CD player at home, after 9 years service I think I'm entitled to a new one .
However I've been looking at getting a SACD player but this does not seem very popular so the question is this, do I go for a SACD player or normal CD player ?.
I've got a home cinema set-up with front and rear speakers, centre speaker and a sub-woofer, hence why I was looking at SACD to get the benefit of the surround sound.
But as stated it does not seem a popular player to buy, so what to do .
My budget is no more than £300, just in case anyone does have an opinion on what to go for.

Cheer's, Mark.
Old 04 June 2007, 09:56 PM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

DVD Audio seems to be getting more popular than SACD and has very high quality 5.1. So get a DVD Audio compatible DVD player and plug it into your existing system
Old 04 June 2007, 09:58 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

The biggest issue with SACD is availability of music. Before looking out for an SACD player, have a look and see what music you'd listen to anyway is actually available on that format - you might be disappointed. I certainly was; I have about 2 or 3 SACDs (and just 1 DVD-Audio, in case you were considering that format too - same story), and I rarely listen to them.

It's a shame, because the sound quality can be great, but only if there's music out there you actually want to listen to.

Have you considered upgrading your old CD player with an offboard DAC?
Old 04 June 2007, 10:21 PM
MTayler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
The biggest issue with SACD is availability of music. Before looking out for an SACD player, have a look and see what music you'd listen to anyway is actually available on that format - you might be disappointed. I certainly was; I have about 2 or 3 SACDs (and just 1 DVD-Audio, in case you were considering that format too - same story), and I rarely listen to them.

It's a shame, because the sound quality can be great, but only if there's music out there you actually want to listen to.

Have you considered upgrading your old CD player with an offboard DAC?

Andy,

Not too sure about the offboard DAC thing, I mean is it possible to upgrade any CD player or not ?.
At the end of the day it's just a Sony CD player which at the time was rated quite good but nowadays it's showing it's age .
Your right about the SACD cd's out at the moment, I've only got a couple and have noticed that some re-issue cd's coming out at the moment are in the SACD format hence why I wondered if it's something that's slow to catch on but provides good benefits .

Whatever I go for will be far better than my current player, just wondered what the preference was, if I go normal CD was looking at the Denon dcd700.

Thanks so far .