Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Mountain Bike Lardy Question

Search this Thread

Old 03 June 2007, 01:20 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mountain Bike Lardy Question

I've decide my Mongoose full suss Teocali is a bit heavy and a bit too quick steering. This was prompted after I picked up a mate's bike at the exhausting end of 60 mile ride recently and could have cried over all the extra pain I endured, carrying all that extra weight!

Thing is I'm researching for a bilke and NO ONE seems to disclose how heavy they are in the specs! I know the more it costs the lighter it is likely to be [and yes I really want a £3k Scott Spark] but any tips to help decide would be very welcome.

I'm really after a 'last years model' bargain for a grand and full suss with a rear shock lockout appeals [remote if poss pls]

Cheers

D
Old 03 June 2007, 03:20 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The easiest way is to keep your existing bike and put a few more miles in - you'll be fitter and won't need to loose lbs off the bike as you'll have lost them

May not be the answer you're looking for, but it's the truth.

If you want a lightweight bike, think do you really need a full sus bike, if not go for a aluminum hard tail - even loose the sus forks if you can get away with it, the bike will feel more responsive rather than feeling like you're riding through blamonge (sp)
Old 03 June 2007, 03:38 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Bike manufacturers stopped speccing weight a few years ago, due to "some" American companies cheating, and stating their bike's weights WITHOUT pedals, (excuse: you could spec flat, spd or grippy pedals), WITHOUT grips, (excuse: you could change them) etc etc.

Why not build your own bike? My youngest has one he built from scratch, no REALLY expensive kit, £120 a pair Shimano/Mavic wheels, a mixture of LX and XT stuff, rigid frame with a rigid alloy fork, weighs in at just over 21 lb. The frame is Scandium, and came from Super Cycles, off the net. His brother is building one with a Ti frame, (ex Exlite), which he bought off ebay. The result will be a bit heavier, but a different ride.

Alcazar
Old 03 June 2007, 04:46 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

My bike is a Cannondale Scalpel. Great bike - 25lb, hydraulic discs, full susser with handlebar controlled rear lockout (plus front lockout on a great front fork). Still.................it would have cost me £2000 if I hadn't got it in a sale three years ago.

If you're after a full susser, I'd go for either a specialized Stumpjumper FSR at £1500 (29lb)or a Giant Trance 2 (27Lb), which has a retail price of £1750 yet can be had through t'internet for about £1250.

As above re hardtails - cheaper and usu lighter, if you don't really need the full susser.

Last edited by andythejock01wrx; 03 June 2007 at 10:42 PM.
Old 03 June 2007, 06:20 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies and the hint to keep off the pies

This is interesting for a carbon frame bike: Saracen Kili Flyer 2 06 - Discount Bicycles Limited, as usual no weights though - and I HAVE kinda made that mistake already...

This looks SOOOOooo dodgy eBay.co.uk: Cannondale Scalpel Team Edition Mountain Bike Medium 18 (item 260124152985 end time 07-Jun-07 13:25:31 BST)

D

Last edited by Diesel; 03 June 2007 at 06:23 PM.
Old 03 June 2007, 08:38 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

As mentioned the Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp is a fantastic bike. I got mine a few months ago and it is more than light enough to make a difference on the trail and responsive enough on more technical routes.
I would not hesitate to recommend one.
Old 03 June 2007, 09:59 PM
Recaro
Scooby Regular

I will be completing a 60 mile bike ride in July, seeing as other people have completed 60 mile rides, I would love someone to recommend me a new saddle!!! Everyone just keeps telling me "get a gel one" - but theres loads on the market.

My bum is killing me. 2 days riding and I've realised that a new saddle is needed asap.

Need to get some padded shorts aswell!
Old 03 June 2007, 10:46 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Recaro
I will be completing a 60 mile bike ride in July, seeing as other people have completed 60 mile rides, I would love someone to recommend me a new saddle!!! Everyone just keeps telling me "get a gel one" - but theres loads on the market.

My bum is killing me. 2 days riding and I've realised that a new saddle is needed asap.

"Fisiks" saddle are good. You can get a decent saddle for £30 to £50.

I did a 50 mile cycle on my mountain bike a few weeks back - would recommend fitting road/hybrid tyres if it's not in the hills !!
Old 03 June 2007, 11:31 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Recaro

Padded 'nappy' shorts are a must for health reasons, but hardly help the pain when you get back in the saddle again! Cell walls need to break before they grow back stronger I'm afraid! There aint no magic gel or saddle IMHO.

Also for my 60 miler I put Schwalbe semi slick 1.75 width tyres on at 65Psi - incredible difference in rolling resistance, but workable only due to the full suss on the dry trails.

Also, really glad for the bike advice, and I did bring a FSR Elite back with me from a USA trip once, but never got on with it, after loving my previous http://www.theped.com/bikes/P1010011.JPG FSR Ground Control to bits. This remains the best bike I've owned, and was WELL sexy at the time [esp with 4 spoke carbon fibre wheels]. Ahh the life b4 kids

D
Old 04 June 2007, 08:57 AM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andythejock01wrx
My bike is a Cannondale Scalpel. Great bike - 25lb, hydraulic discs, full susser with handlebar controlled rear lockout (plus front lockout on a great front fork). Still.................it would have cost me £2000 if I hadn't got it in a sale three years ago.

If you're after a full susser, I'd go for either a specialized Stumpjumper FSR at £1500 (29lb)or a Giant Trance 2 (27Lb), which has a retail price of £1750 yet can be had through t'internet for about £1250.

As above re hardtails - cheaper and usu lighter, if you don't really need the full susser.
I'd second the Stumpy - great bike. I dodn't know what the weight was, but guessed 28lb, as it's lighter than my Kona hardtail commuter. Nicely balanced too. Superb Fox Floats (the only reason I went for that over the cheaper XC FSR).

You may a lot to loose a little weight with FS

P.S. 60 mile is a fair slog off road - good effort!

Last edited by pwhittle; 04 June 2007 at 09:05 AM.
Old 04 June 2007, 11:57 AM
ChrisB

I did the Dyfi Enduro (39.5 miles) on my Trance 2. A few nutters out on rigid singlespeeds - I can't imagine the pain they finished with.

If you want something a bit racier, the Anthem is worth a look as a enduro / marathon bike.
Old 04 June 2007, 12:54 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ChrisB
I did the Dyfi Enduro (39.5 miles) on my Trance 2. A few nutters out on rigid singlespeeds - I can't imagine the pain they finished with.
How'd you rate the Trance 2 Chris ?
Old 04 June 2007, 12:57 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How'd you rate the Trance 2 Chris ?
He left me for dead on my Trek hardtail last weekend, but he still downhills like a wuss
Old 04 June 2007, 01:32 PM
ChrisB

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
He left me for dead on my Trek hardtail last weekend, but he still downhills like a wuss
That was your hangover masking the fear mate

Love my Trance to bits Andy. Had it just over a year now - mine is one of the original design bikes with the shock basket rather than the pierced down-tube. Thought it was magic when I rode Whites Level a few weeks ago.

Only problem (other than consumables like a chain) to date is the freehub (it's got DT Swiss Cerit hubs) getting all lumpy and needing a service (the back wheel is at the LBS at the moment). To be expected after it's seen plenty of Peak / Welsh gloop 'n' grit in the last year without being touched.

Think it weighs in around 27 or 28lb IIRC. That's with everything bar me on it.

Last edited by ChrisB; 04 June 2007 at 01:49 PM.
Old 04 June 2007, 06:09 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

That was your hangover masking the fear mate

Love my Trance to bits Andy. Had it just over a year now - mine is one of the original design bikes with the shock basket rather than the pierced down-tube. Thought it was magic when I rode Whites Level a few weeks ago.

Only problem (other than consumables like a chain) to date is the freehub (it's got DT Swiss Cerit hubs) getting all lumpy and needing a service (the back wheel is at the LBS at the moment). To be expected after it's seen plenty of Peak / Welsh gloop 'n' grit in the last year without being touched.

Think it weighs in around 27 or 28lb IIRC. That's with everything bar me on it.
Cheers Chris. Have a friend after a light full susser - will suggest either the Stumpy or Trance 2.
Old 04 June 2007, 06:10 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
LOL - sounds like Chris rides like me !
Old 04 June 2007, 08:22 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

Cheers Chris. Have a friend after a light full susser - will suggest either the Stumpy or Trance 2.
Make sure he gets to a trial day and has a shot of both as I found them to be 2 very different bikes.
I just couldn't take to the Giant at all whereas the Stumpy was a joy to ride. There was however a guy at work whose thoughts were the exact opposite of mine. Horses(....or bikes) for courses and all that.

Paul.
Old 04 June 2007, 10:26 PM
rb5_336
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pwhittle
I'd second the Stumpy - great bike. I dodn't know what the weight was, but guessed 28lb, as it's lighter than my Kona hardtail commuter. Nicely balanced too. Superb Fox Floats (the only reason I went for that over the cheaper XC FSR).

You may a lot to loose a little weight with FS

P.S. 60 mile is a fair slog off road - good effort!
I've got a specialized FSR Epic. Light for a full suspension bike. No where near as light or as fast over tarmac as my 5 year old Orange evo2, but a lot faster over the rough stuff.
Old 04 June 2007, 11:14 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rb5_336
I've got a specialized FSR Epic. Light for a full suspension bike. No where near as light or as fast over tarmac as my 5 year old Orange evo2, but a lot faster over the rough stuff.

Not another Evo thread !

Old 04 June 2007, 11:14 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PG
Make sure he gets to a trial day and has a shot of both as I found them to be 2 very different bikes.
I just couldn't take to the Giant at all whereas the Stumpy was a joy to ride. There was however a guy at work whose thoughts were the exact opposite of mine. Horses(....or bikes) for courses and all that.

Paul.
Cheers Paul.

......come to think of it a horse might be easier on the climbs. But then I don't need to give my bike hay in the winter !
Old 05 June 2007, 07:46 AM
ChrisB

Nags make MTBing look like a budget hobby!
Old 05 June 2007, 09:29 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Cheers Paul.

......come to think of it a horse might be easier on the climbs. But then I don't need to give my bike hay in the winter !
Funnily enough I've done a few MTB rides with wife riding her horse.
Horses are cack at downhills but rather good on the flat and uphills.

However I find running whilst wife is riding more fun/knackering.
Old 05 June 2007, 12:33 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Nags make MTBing look like a budget hobby!
Old 05 June 2007, 12:36 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
Funnily enough I've done a few MTB rides with wife riding her horse.
Horses are cack at downhills but rather good on the flat and uphills.

However I find running whilst wife is riding more fun/knackering.

Must be my mind, but that sounds kinda kinky to me Mattee !
Old 05 June 2007, 01:31 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Andy - I know, I know!
Was actually innocent although I do find wife rather fetching in her horse outfits!
Old 05 June 2007, 07:17 PM
a_fisher
Scooby Regular

I like Specialized, the the Stumpjumper FSR is good... having said that I have a friend with a 2007 Enduro which he's really impressed with