Laying a sloped driveway

Search this Thread

Old 03 June 2007, 01:12 PM
Suuba
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Laying a sloped driveway

How f*cking hard is this..

I have a re-layed the slabs ontop of a skimmed surface with sand and some wet concrete which i put down myself. However after a month or two the slabs start moving about due to my 2 cars going up and down a few times a day...

What can i do to stop them moving, possible fill the gaps between them with concrete to compact them together?
Old 03 June 2007, 02:58 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

With that wonderful stuff hindsight I guess you should have sunk them deeper into the screed. There can't be huge stresses involved so I would do as you suggest with some good strength mortar. Make sure everything is damp/wet when you do it to try and get a good bond and cover with a wet cloth (hessian or similar) for a couple of days or it will dry out too soon.

If the slabs are removable I wonder if a quick splatter of bonding agent underneath might help the cause. This will probably get shifted to DIY and there are lots of experts there!!
Old 03 June 2007, 02:59 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

Have you not pointed between?
Old 03 June 2007, 05:28 PM
Suuba
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
With that wonderful stuff hindsight I guess you should have sunk them deeper into the screed. There can't be huge stresses involved so I would do as you suggest with some good strength mortar. Make sure everything is damp/wet when you do it to try and get a good bond and cover with a wet cloth (hessian or similar) for a couple of days or it will dry out too soon.

If the slabs are removable I wonder if a quick splatter of bonding agent underneath might help the cause. This will probably get shifted to DIY and there are lots of experts there!!
One each corner of slab and then point them?
Old 03 June 2007, 05:32 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I assumed that if they were slipping the bond underneath had gone and you would just be able to lift them up and paint some bond material underneath (no more nails??) ? If that's not the case than I would leave alone and just bung some mortar between the joints - and drive slowly

Edit. Depending on how big the gap is between the slabs I guess you could "cheat" a bit and put in a few short lengths of steel reinforcing bar (10/12 mm dia say) and mortar over these. That should stop the buggers moving! Or cut them short and bang them in as pegs.

Last edited by David Lock; 03 June 2007 at 05:46 PM.
Old 03 June 2007, 10:24 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

I take it you have an edge along the front of the driveway? Cemented in, and therefore preventing any movement in future.
Yve