Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Contentious insurance claims...

Search this Thread

Old 01 June 2007, 08:15 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Contentious insurance claims...

Just a bit of a query for anyone who's had an accident where fault hasn't been immediately put on one party.

Have you ever been sent the diagrams/photos submitted by the other party to their insurance company by your insurance company?

Didn't know if it was common practice.
Old 01 June 2007, 11:01 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

You normally don't get them unless you ask.
Old 01 June 2007, 11:05 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Hi Prasius.

I work in insurance claims.

Yes, it's common enough to put the third party statement etc to the insured for their comments where liability is in dispute.

Andy tJ
Old 01 June 2007, 11:16 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Cheers - I was curious.

I'm hoping the others will get their insurance revoked and be prosecuted for insurance fraud. But I won't hold my breath.
Old 01 June 2007, 11:24 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Prasius
Cheers - I was curious.

I'm hoping the others will get their insurance revoked and be prosecuted for insurance fraud. But I won't hold my breath.
Old 01 June 2007, 11:34 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I hope you're not the 3rd party in the claim I'm making...
Old 01 June 2007, 11:38 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
Quick, get to the doc's for the whiplash claim (remember to say "ouch", when the doc tries to turn your head to the side ).
Old 02 June 2007, 03:55 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andythejock01wrx
Quick, get to the doc's for the whiplash claim (remember to say "ouch", when the doc tries to turn your head to the side ).

or if you were as lucky as me, sit on your **** and recieve a formal £1000 offer in the post, without even knowing about it
Old 02 June 2007, 10:15 AM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
Nope, this is a poxy astra that apparently has a bumper that is so weak, it instantly folded on contact with my mums Saxo VTR's bumper, without leaving any dent, crack, scuff, or scratch on the Saxo. They claim she reversed into them while manouvering on the A road through the village - when the 3rd party actually reversed out of their drive without looking and "collided" with Mums car which was fully on the road and at the time stationary, as she was preparing to pull away in first - then thought, oooh, we can get that bumper fixed now - and put a claim in. The diagram they submitted doesn't even make any sense

The whole thing is really annoying me as its so blatently a dodgy claim to fix previous damage at someone elses expense - makes me sick.
Old 02 June 2007, 12:01 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Nope, this is a poxy astra that apparently has a bumper that is so weak, it instantly folded on contact with my mums Saxo VTR's bumper, without leaving any dent, crack, scuff, or scratch on the Saxo. They claim she reversed into them while manouvering on the A road through the village - when the 3rd party actually reversed out of their drive without looking and "collided" with Mums car which was fully on the road and at the time stationary, as she was preparing to pull away in first - then thought, oooh, we can get that bumper fixed now - and put a claim in. The diagram they submitted doesn't even make any sense

The whole thing is really annoying me as its so blatently a dodgy claim to fix previous damage at someone elses expense - makes me sick.
i do feel for your mum on this one. the accident i was involved in where the pillock pulled on a t-junction on me. dunno how but he mustered a half-arsed plan against me. his insurers even told him to stop trying to lie, i think thats when they offered me some cash not to take things further lol.

andy
Old 02 June 2007, 12:44 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance

This kind of thing makes me really angry, although luckily no serious incidents. Insurance companies just can't be bothered if there's a 50/50% option. Too much costly paperwork

Example 1) Pulled out onto a clear roundabout when some a young squaddy who was out test driving a Mini Cooper at maximum speed, rams me up the ****. He admited driving like a ****. Bloke in a Merc stops to say he was cut up by this lunatic a few seconds earlier. I submitted photos, diagrams, Merc driver's evidence, and after a year of arguing with some **** at Direct Line who was clearly not interested in spending time on a claim worth about £500, the whole affair has been dropped. Conclusion, telling lies, changing your story, and generally acting like a ****-poor and dishonest citizen obviously pays.

Example 2) Son driving around tight back rounds in heavy rain, sees a people carrier on collision course around a blind bend. He stops on his side of the road. Elderly lady driver, who is registered sight impared, drives into the side of him. More photos, diagrams etc. Clear evidence that the daft bat was not at her wit's best. Result? 50/50. WTF? She drove straight into him!

Conclusion: if you want to make an insurance claim, make it a big one or you'll just get fobbed off

Richard.
Old 02 June 2007, 01:18 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys.

It's not as if its going to cost mum anything - she has protected no-claims, no damage to her car so no excess to pay.. its simply the principle of the thing.
Old 02 June 2007, 02:45 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Kick up a stink with your own insurer Prasius !

Call them and say you are adamant that your ma wasn't liable and that you want them to contact you before giving any concession of liability.

I take it there were no witnesses ? What were the actual points of impact on the vehicles and do they match the third party allegations ? Might be worth getting your insurers to check if an engineer inspected the vehicle as he would have coomented on point of impact (might not be used for a small repair though).

Last edited by andythejock01wrx; 03 June 2007 at 11:37 AM.
Old 02 June 2007, 10:34 PM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys.

It's not as if its going to cost mum anything - she has protected no-claims, no damage to her car so no excess to pay.. its simply the principle of the thing.
It will still cost her! She might have a protected No Claims bonus but the base premium will rise, and the No Claims bonus will be taken off a higher figure!
Old 03 June 2007, 11:37 AM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chrisgr31
It will still cost her! She might have a protected No Claims bonus but the base premium will rise, and the No Claims bonus will be taken off a higher figure!
IMHO that aint true.
Old 03 June 2007, 11:55 AM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Makes me wonder WTF goes on in insurance claims.
I pulled out into a row of traffic to find a motorbike coming down the outside of the queue..
He jams on the front anchor and front wheels are out from under him and he decks it....
They set a date for an inspector to come round.
He didn't turn up.
I ring up, say the bloke didn't turn up, they book another appointment.
Next I get a letter saying they are blaming me after looking at the information that i hadn't given.
Bloke turns up one evening out of the blue and takes all details, says I have a good case...
Get letter saying all my fault and motorbike written off..
All he did was slide off the thing in front of me.
my fault to the tune of 16K

Andy
Old 03 June 2007, 03:08 PM
Ian_S
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fuzz
Makes me wonder WTF goes on in insurance claims.
I pulled out into a row of traffic to find a motorbike coming down the outside of the queue..
He jams on the front anchor and front wheels are out from under him and he decks it....
They set a date for an inspector to come round.
He didn't turn up.
I ring up, say the bloke didn't turn up, they book another appointment.
Next I get a letter saying they are blaming me after looking at the information that i hadn't given.
Bloke turns up one evening out of the blue and takes all details, says I have a good case...
Get letter saying all my fault and motorbike written off..
All he did was slide off the thing in front of me.
my fault to the tune of 16K

Andy
If the scenario is as i think, then you had a terrible insurance company, there is specific case law for this (Powell v Moody) and 80% of the blame falls to the biker for creating his own lane, and not exercising caution while overtaking stationary vehicles.
Old 03 June 2007, 03:17 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Tell that to Greenlight then !!