Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Cost of Martial Arts?

Search this Thread

Old 31 May 2007, 10:55 AM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cost of Martial Arts?

How much are you currently paying for an hour's training and what style?

I'm studying Jeet Kune Do and I pay £8 for an hours training
Old 31 May 2007, 11:02 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Too expensive IMHO

Try to find a teacher who teaches for the sake/love of the art rather than a money making org.

Huge difference and they are out there
Old 31 May 2007, 11:03 AM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

I do think its expensive however I've been training on and off with him for 8 years now and it dont seem right to do the same style with somebody else
Old 31 May 2007, 11:06 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

I used to pay 25 a month and i got 2 lessons a week for that
Old 31 May 2007, 11:07 AM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

used to pay £2.50 back in 1998 ffor 2 hours
Old 31 May 2007, 11:08 AM
StiX
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

£2 for an hour and a half - £1.333 etc per hour.

Kyokushinkai karate
Old 31 May 2007, 11:30 AM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Eldest (7 years old) does Shotokan, and it costs 2 quid a session, and she has 2 a week

Monday is for an hour, and wednesday is for an hour and half

She graded to Orange Belt last week too
Old 31 May 2007, 11:32 AM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

I pay £4 for 1.5 hrs for Brown/Black belt adult class traditional Shotokan Karate

£12 for gradings. £15 pa for license.

Neil
Old 31 May 2007, 11:40 AM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

The one I mentioned, charges the same whether you are child or adult
Old 31 May 2007, 01:36 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

and it dont seem right to do the same style with somebody else
I tried to learn from as many people as possible.....took as much from all of them as possible, then made up my own mind as to what suited me, my body and my strengths/weaknesses

It's not like a dog who can only have one master........go to another one and see how you get on I reckon studying under a few helped me no end
Old 31 May 2007, 01:41 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

I'll be happy to learn a different style with somebody else but not the same.

Over the years our relationship has changed from coach and student to form a friendship.

The way I see it. You cant put a price on friendship.

Anyway this is about how much a lesson costs
Old 31 May 2007, 01:42 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Anyway this is about how much a lesson costs
True

£5 for 90 min
Old 31 May 2007, 02:41 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

£4 for a 2hr session of Jiu Jitsu.
Old 31 May 2007, 02:52 PM
psyops
BANNED

Originally Posted by Ray_li
How much are you currently paying for an hour's training and what style?

I'm studying Jeet Kune Do and I pay £8 for an hours training
Maybe the instructor charges you more because you are in need of more instruction than most able bodied people?
Old 31 May 2007, 02:53 PM
TonyG
Scooby Regular

Location: The dark side of the Sun and owner of 2 fairy tokens

£4/hour for Shotokan karate. Instructors at the club are Hanshi Asano's family.
Old 31 May 2007, 03:19 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

£30 pcm for Shotokan Karate

3 one hour sessions per week + as much self-practice as you want in the dojo at any other time.

Thinking about it, the club has 2 locations and I could go the other one (nr Ilford) for 2 additional sessions a week with no extra charge.
Old 31 May 2007, 03:44 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

My wife and kids go Ju Jitsu twice a week.The kids are charged 4.50 each for one hours teaching.Which is quite expensive if you ask me .My wife does not pay because she also teaches there.

But the real stinger is the grading .My son has recently taken his black belt and it was about 60 quid ffs.
My wifes last grading cost us about 180 ffffff ffs !!!!
She has been doing it for years to be honest and I would not like to total the full expenditure in that time.
However they enjoy it and thats worth it I suppose,when I consider what my beer has cost me over the last 15 years or so.!!!!!!
Old 31 May 2007, 03:52 PM
Alexppp
Scooby Regular

If your anygood and show signs fo progession and have a passion for it then I will teach for free. The payment comes from watching your student progress from your teachings.

Alexppp
Old 31 May 2007, 03:55 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Alexppp
If your anygood and show signs fo progession and have a passion for it then I will teach for free. The payment comes from watching your student progress from your teachings.

Alexppp

You cant ask for better than that .Well done that man .
Old 31 May 2007, 03:56 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by njkmrs
My wife and kids go Ju Jitsu twice a week.The kids are charged 4.50 each for one hours teaching.Which is quite expensive if you ask me .My wife does not pay because she also teaches there.

But the real stinger is the grading .My son has recently taken his black belt and it was about 60 quid ffs.
My wifes last grading cost us about 180 ffffff ffs !!!!
She has been doing it for years to be honest and I would not like to total the full expenditure in that time.
However they enjoy it and thats worth it I suppose,when I consider what my beer has cost me over the last 15 years or so.!!!!!!

thats the most expensive grading I've seen
Old 31 May 2007, 03:59 PM
Alexppp
Scooby Regular

I think my Gradings cost the Paper and the print the Printed on so the Teacher doesn't have to fork out of his own pocket. One of my teachers didn't do a grading for 10 years!!!

Alexppp
Old 31 May 2007, 04:01 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ray_li
thats the most expensive grading I've seen
Yeh its not cheap ,but lookily they dont come round too often.
Old 31 May 2007, 04:24 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Alexppp

Alexppp
That's great - but how do you cover the cost of hiring the sports hall, insurance, mats, equipment, first aid...?
Old 31 May 2007, 04:47 PM
Alec
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

£5 for an hours kickboxing at my usual gym, £4 at another I go to and i used to pay £4 for 90 mins Shotokan.

Both my current kickboxing coach and my Shotkan Sensai have both had various people they teach for free. Usually kids who's parents have been made redundant or adults who have somehow lost the ability to pay but show spirit.
Old 31 May 2007, 05:07 PM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!
£30 pcm for Shotokan Karate

3 one hour sessions per week + as much self-practice as you want in the dojo at any other time.

Thinking about it, the club has 2 locations and I could go the other one (nr Ilford) for 2 additional sessions a week with no extra charge.
You started this earlier in the year didnt you Puff? How you getting on with it?

Neil

ps sorry to hijack the thread a little, but I guess the thread questions already been answered anyway
Old 31 May 2007, 05:41 PM
ScoobyWeb
Scooby Regular

My Son has been training/Grading for around 10 years now and it has cost us a Bloody fortune over the years. His lessons cost around £30 a week (over 7 days)
. Then theres his kit and training aids + license. He fights all over the world, new zealand, puerto rico, Germany, Ireland, Mexico to name but a few as well as nationwide. It has cost us £1000's over the years and continues to do so. But it's worth it as he loves it and he has progressed very far, world titles, european, and british. He has been to the world marshall arts games twice and won gold medals both times as well as silvers and bronze in different categories.
We have tried to get him some sponsorship over the last couple of years but have so far been unsuccessful. He's 14 years old so a few more years and he can get a job and fund himself, then I can spend more on Mods for the Scooby
Old 31 May 2007, 07:37 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyWeb
My Son has been training/Grading for around 10 years now and it has cost us a Bloody fortune over the years. His lessons cost around £30 a week (over 7 days)
. Then theres his kit and training aids + license. He fights all over the world, new zealand, puerto rico, Germany, Ireland, Mexico to name but a few as well as nationwide. It has cost us £1000's over the years and continues to do so. But it's worth it as he loves it and he has progressed very far, world titles, european, and british. He has been to the world marshall arts games twice and won gold medals both times as well as silvers and bronze in different categories.
We have tried to get him some sponsorship over the last couple of years but have so far been unsuccessful. He's 14 years old so a few more years and he can get a job and fund himself, then I can spend more on Mods for the Scooby
Whats his style?
Old 01 June 2007, 12:08 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NeilT
You started this earlier in the year didnt you Puff? How you getting on with it?

Neil

ps sorry to hijack the thread a little, but I guess the thread questions already been answered anyway

Started around xmas, now training 2 or 3 times a week and really enjoying it and its one of those things I wish I'd taken up earlier in life. What's nice is that it compliments my other fitness training & I'm not totally knackered after it. Need to sort my breathing out though.

I've had my first grading, passed, and there is another in July. Love Kata and a supreme moment was doing it on a totally empty sandy beach in NW Donegal with the sun setting over the Atlantic, beautiful.

I'm still cr@p though and use the wrong limbs all the time! Guon kumate the other day and I couldn't remember which block and ended up getting kicked across the dojo laughing! Oh well, I'm sure it'll come to me.

Well recommended for anyone thinking about it
Old 01 June 2007, 08:34 AM
Alec
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by ScoobyWeb
Sounds top, always good to here the success stories. Does your son train with the KTBF/Sheffield Dragons? Just a guess.
Old 01 June 2007, 09:01 AM
Alexppp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
That's great - but how do you cover the cost of hiring the sports hall, insurance, mats, equipment, first aid...?
Morning Mate,

To answer your questions,
The Hall space comes from my Gym which is free.
We already have mats at the Gym but to be honest we don't really use them as most of our style doesn't requre them. I already have a 1st aid course which I have to renew every 3 yrs (which is up to me) As for Insurance, they Student whould have to to pay this which I believe is 20-25 for the year.

Alexppp

Quick Reply: Cost of Martial Arts?