Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

UFC 71

Search this Thread

Old 26 May 2007, 11:37 PM
mad555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up UFC 71

Sunday night on Bravo at 9.00pm.Should be very good.
Old 27 May 2007, 01:27 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

After Chucks fight its not exactly what Id call an enthralling fightcard. Here's hoping Chuck wins as the only real big gun keeping an unbeaten streak.

Simon
Old 27 May 2007, 11:59 PM
Mr Bat
Scooby Regular

My prediction was Rampage around 3rd or 4th, with Chuck gassing (again), slightly surprised how it happened.

Just goes to prove that Chuck's winning streak was a lot down to fighting grapplers, his stand up fighting just can't cut it against strikers who have good foot and head movement.
Old 28 May 2007, 12:27 AM
codie247
Scooby Regular

short and sweet, Chucks fight. Didn't look like a big hit niether.

Lee
Old 28 May 2007, 12:43 AM
Sanjita Patel
BANNED

I missed this bros.

Will there be repeat bro, if so whit time n date bros?

Ameen tae thae n peace oot bros
Old 28 May 2007, 12:44 AM
MisterMelon
Scooby Regular

well i have to say im still a little shocked, oh well chuck will be back.
Old 28 May 2007, 12:44 AM
haroldhettaturbo
Scooby Regular

on now!
Old 28 May 2007, 01:31 AM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

So who won? Was he fighting Rampage Jackson...I hope he won I like him he does some blinding interviews.
Old 28 May 2007, 09:41 AM
Terzo 333
Scooby Regular

Well IMHO UFC 71 was one of the best cards in recent history

Chuck was out for 3 or 4 seconds when Big John stopped it...very good decision, and again well spotted by big J.

Keith Jardine's fight was awesome too, as was Terry Martins fight.

UFC 72 in Ireland looks crap though
Old 28 May 2007, 09:46 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

I didnt expect it to be over that quickly before the show but by the time the fight kicked off it was 11.45pm so was obvious someone got the quick win.

Even more of a whooping than he got last time. At least in the pride fight he got to round 2 and did actually land some punches.

It seemed to me that he did his useless in and out routine but underestimated Jacksons reach when that looping right caught him on the chin.

Will be interesting to see who fancies their chances against Jackson now. Whoever it is will more than likely look to take it to the ground as he's proved his stand up.

I liked Brandon Vera but seems hes had a falling out with Dana about fight fees. Will be a shame if they lose him.

That Houston guy gave Keith Jardine a severe *** whooping as well - was prob the best fight of the night.

Simon
Old 28 May 2007, 03:23 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Aaquil
So who won? Was he fighting Rampage Jackson...I hope he won I like him he does some blinding interviews.
Doesnt "well i have to say im still a little shocked, oh well chuck will be back" kinda give it away

TKO after about 1min43secs of 1st rd. Chuck ducked away and got caught on left chee/chin by a looping right from Rampage. He fell back, rampage rained down some heavy punches, 1st missed, think 3rd knocked Chuck out as went limp and dropped his arms. Offering no defence Big John had no option but to give the TKO. Chuck was arguing but his eyes were screwed and 1 min later he was still staggering whilst trying to get back to his corner.

I was hoping he might try and take it to the ground even though not his best game but tbh Rampage didnt even give him a chance. Showed him no respect at all (mistake of many a fighter beforehand). Got the chance and made sure he finished him.

Just not sure who he is gonna fight now. Cant see too many people sticking their hand up for that one. Maybe forrest as hes crazy

Simon
Old 28 May 2007, 06:53 PM
mad555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terzo 333
Well IMHO UFC 71 was one of the best cards in recent history

Chuck was out for 3 or 4 seconds when Big John stopped it...very good decision, and again well spotted by big J.

Keith Jardine's fight was awesome too, as was Terry Martins fight.

UFC 72 in Ireland looks crap though

UFC 72 Belfast Northern Ireland.
Old 28 May 2007, 06:57 PM
chief-long-shin
Scooby Regular

i think one of the other good fighters out there is Rich Franklin - he might look like Jim Carrey bit seems to do well at holding his own in his division.
Old 28 May 2007, 08:14 PM
Terzo 333
Scooby Regular

UFC 71 is repeated tonight on Bravo 2 9pm
Old 28 May 2007, 09:43 PM
mad555
Scooby Regular

Fight card for UFC 72 as follows,
Franklin V Okami
Ramirez V Griffin (Forrest)
Singer V MacDonald
Guida V Griffin (Tyson)
Under card
Tan V Davis
Murphy V O'Brien
Sanchez V Robinson
Smith V Herman
Hazelett V Lynch
Old 29 May 2007, 07:46 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chief-long-shin
i think one of the other good fighters out there is Rich Franklin - he might look like Jim Carrey bit seems to do well at holding his own in his division.
You mean until Anderson Silva turned up and whooped his *** Tbh even though I like Rich, the middleweight division hasnt been the strongest before Silva arrived.

Simon
Old 29 May 2007, 04:47 PM
SideShowBob
Scooby Regular

Liddell didnt seem anything like as confident as he normally is when walking into the ring, he knew this one would be a lot tougher than any of the previous guys he's fought because Rampage has better standup than him.

He even broke the stare down to look at John McCarthy, like he felt initimidated.

The punch that dropped him didnt even look that clean, it glanced him more, shows how much power Rampage has when he throws a punch.

The light heavyweight division is a tough one though, hopefully Rampage can hold the belt for a while but he's going to have to work extremely hard to do so.

Cheers for the UFC 72 card, though im not liking it hugely, I know Franklin is very good but not sure it's a good main even. Griffin is always entertaining, but he's getting beaten to the point of losing his ability to string a sentence together. I dont think Ramirez will make it any worse as he'll probably try take it to the ground, but he's not a well man, and I cant see him having as long career.

The rest of the card is pretty average, that McDonald guy is freaky, I was chuffed he got beat last time out as his ego was huge.
Old 29 May 2007, 07:22 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Just been checking out a few Rampage vids. Got a severe *** whooping here by Wanderlai Silva:

YouTube - Quinton Jackson vs Wanderlei Silva 1

Not looking too impressive here either:

YouTube - Shogun Rua vs Rampage Jackson

Simon
Old 29 May 2007, 07:32 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Hmm not a good track record against Silva. Checkout the knockout at the end - loadsa blood

YouTube - Crazy Fight

Simon
Old 30 May 2007, 11:21 AM
SideShowBob
Scooby Regular

Rampage has had some big losses, but he was training with amateur sparring partners at the time and i dont think he was taking it as seriously as he should have.

Seemed to go through a period where he wasnt showing the dedication, but saying that Pride has always been extremely tough and those are two top notch opponents that anyone could lose to anyway.

When he is training hard and going in the right direction I would put Rampage within the top 3 light heavyweights in the world, but so much can happen and go wrong, sometimes you see a fighter lose and they are carrying an injury, or get unlucky and get tagged early on in the fight and dont have the focus or mental awareness to fight at their best.

Not saying Rampage was injured for any of his losses or anything, but so much can go wrong, even something like overextending when throwing a punch can seriously mess up an arm, imagine fighting a guy that's trying to rip you apart and your right arm is barely useable, no amount of heart can overcome things like that. Eye pokes, broken fists and fingers, overextending on a punch, twisted knees, getting tagged early by a lucky punch etc, they get injuries during training and during the fight that can change the whole fight, so it may not be a case of a fighter being totally outclassed, most dont say anything about an injury so you never know.

As Rampage is now I recon his head is in a good place, he is training harder than ever with top notch sparring partners, and he has enough confidence after two wins in the UFC that I would expect him to be unstoppable for the next few fights at least (barring an unforseen consequence), and since he's an excellent fighter to watch im looking forward to his title defenses, want to see a few massive body slams!!

Find a few of the fights Rampage has won and you'll see what he is capable of, one of the strongest light heavyweights around, if not the strongest, he literally picked up a guy weighing 205 pounds by bending over and grabbing hold of him and standing upright, lifted him in the air and slammed him down, that takes enormous strength, Im so looking forward to a few moments like that, as a fan you are just amazed at what you're seeing.
Old 30 May 2007, 11:26 AM
SideShowBob
Scooby Regular

Forgot to mention, we'll soon know if Rampage is a better figher now than when he faced Wanderlei last, as Wanderlei has been picked up by UFC after they bought Pride, so a Wanderlei/Rampage fight will definitely happen. That'll be a brillaint fight.
Old 30 May 2007, 11:31 AM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I've only just got into UFC, I'm a big boxing fan, but wanted to see what all of the fuss is about.
I heard the Iceman was one of the best, so checked out some of his old fights. The way he can stand up when guys grapple him is amazing, but in boxing terms, his stand up fighting is all wrong.
He seems to go in with his chin in the air, and no sign of a guard. So IMO, it was waiting to happen. Watching the build up and Jacksons training, he looked a lot more like a boxer, so I knew he would take advantage of Chuck's non existant guard.
Thats just the way it goes, I personally can't see Chuck being a force to be reckoned with anytime in the future.
Old 30 May 2007, 11:59 AM
lem6
Scooby Regular

chuck's knee was injured, did u see him punching it before the fight!
Old 30 May 2007, 01:25 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Post fight Chuck said he was injury free and got caught. No excuses.

He has been hit before by others but look at the difference between Rampage and someone like Renato Sobral. There is no comparison in size and strength. Rampage (in the first fight) is one of the only people Ive ever seen keep Chuck on the floor. Loads have tried to take him down but never kept him down. If they had a rematch Chuck either needs to improve his guard drastically or take it to the ground.

Rampage does look a bit one dimensional from what Ive seen. When people use the clinch or take it to the ground hes struggled with just punching and brute strength. Admittedly hes improved a lot since then and is defintely a great fighter to watch. Love the wolf howl lol.

As for Wanderlai he was all set to fight to in UFC against Chuck after the Sobral fight but that didnt work out. Not sure what happened but saw a clip of Wanderlai saying he was staying at Pride and Chuck should come to him. At least now he hasnt got the choice. Although the Pride Acquisition only entitles them to the contracted fights. I believe Rampage only had 2 fights left but cant see him saying no as took $500k for the Chuck win.

Wanderlai also lost against Dan Henderson in Pride 33 earlier this year.

Simon
Old 30 May 2007, 02:02 PM
lem6
Scooby Regular

personally i'm glad chuck got beat,best knockoiut was houston alexander dropping keith jardine!!
Old 30 May 2007, 03:08 PM
RichardS2005
Scooby Regular

and Dan Henderson is now in UFC - they seemed to make out that he was to take the next fight between the winner of Chuck/Rampage so that will be an awesome fight!
Old 30 May 2007, 05:28 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RichardS2005
and Dan Henderson is now in UFC - they seemed to make out that he was to take the next fight between the winner of Chuck/Rampage so that will be an awesome fight!
Lets hope that Happens

Anyone know what happened in Pride 34? Their website sucks and says its on April 8th.....

Simon