Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

"Where there's muck.... there's.......

Search this Thread

Old 24 May 2007, 07:08 AM
Non +Plus Member
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Where there's muck.... there's.......

.... a scumbag politician waiting to make money"

Environment Secretary David Miliband will unveil plans on Thursday to improve Britain's poor record on recycling its rubbish.
Whats the betting there will be an increase in the charges to house holders for waste disposal

They must of thought all their Christmases had come at once with this whole 'environmental' bandwagon
Old 24 May 2007, 07:27 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

New rules are supposed to be announced by the new labia today. They will leave the details to each council so it doesnt look like their fault in case they lose the next election ................we are all going to blame the local council.

Seems like at the local elections most councils who went to two week collections were voted out.
Old 24 May 2007, 08:11 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

A US style blue wheelie bin would make me happy.
Old 24 May 2007, 08:22 AM
prodriva
Scooby Regular

Location: "Every one should have a friend called Dave - they're the human equivalent of a Swiss Army knife!!"

**** me, if only it was just one wheelie bin. I live in the borough of Bracknell Forrest and currently I have a green wheelie bin for household waste, a blue wheelie bin for plastics and tin cans, a brown wheelie bin for garden waste (tree/shrub/grass clippings only no rubble or earth) and two green boxes for paper and cardboard. Household waste is collected fortnightly and the rest fortnightly also but on the week the household waste isn't.

Strangely though no glass recycling as the council say there's enough bottle banks provided in the borough. The thing is I live on the Bracknell Forrest / Surrey borough boundary, work in Surrey so never venture into Bracknell itself and use the bottle banks in Surrey on my commute to work. I'm certainly not going to make a dedicated journey to recycle my glass in Bracknell, that would make real environmental sense

Sorry, rant over
Old 24 May 2007, 08:56 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

I think that introducing charges based on waste will just increase the general litter around. Certain people are not going to pay £120, but just leave it on the road.

'Pay As You Throw' Tax On Rubbish - Yahoo! News UK

Steve
Old 24 May 2007, 09:08 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Pay as you throw? prepare to see an increase in fly tipping!
Old 24 May 2007, 09:13 AM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

I walk part way to work and the other day I walked past a normal black wheelie bin which had cardboard food packaging in it, plastic bottles and loads of other stuff which could have been recycled. I didn't even have to look into the bin to see this as it had white rubbish bags spilling over the top!

Our council provides the boxes to do recycling, so there really is no excuse. Again, we don't have glass recycling yet, but it's not difficult to take the the bottle bank is it?

In Germany, they have an excellent system whereby you pay extra on a crate of beer/water/wine and get the money back when you take the bottles and crates back to the supermarket. If we adopted a similar system, it would give an incentive to recycle! Plus, when the bottles are returned, they are then returned to the manufacturer so they can just clean and reuse the bottles without them being smashed up, melted down and remade.

Makes sense really.
Old 24 May 2007, 09:22 AM
Non +Plus Member
Scooby Regular

Hot off Sky News:

It means the average family could end up paying around £120 a year to have their rubbish collected, on top of their council tax.

Under the proposals people will be provided with a slop bucket for food waste and kitchen scraps.

They will also have to separate out glass, plastics, paper and tins.

Councils will be able to issue fines for people who fail to comply.

Keeeeerrrr-CHING

BTW "Fail to Comply" who are the council employing?? ROBO-COP
Old 24 May 2007, 09:28 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Clarebabes

In Germany, they have an excellent system whereby you pay extra on a crate of beer/water/wine and get the money back when you take the bottles and crates back to the supermarket. If we adopted a similar system, it would give an incentive to recycle! Plus, when the bottles are returned, they are then returned to the manufacturer so they can just clean and reuse the bottles without them being smashed up, melted down and remade.

Makes sense really.
Well once upon a time that was common place here too of course.

Mygirlfriends council waltham abbey have just increased collection to once a week - over the summer
Old 24 May 2007, 11:58 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

If he ever makes a move to become PM-watch out!

Les
Old 24 May 2007, 12:07 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Clarebabes

Makes sense really.
We USED to have this on glass pop bottles, (remember those?)

I well remember climbing over the fence at the rear of the local offy, nicking empties, then taking them round the front fro the 3d that was on each bottle. Then walking to ANOTHER offy to spend my money on a bottle of cider.

Ah, those were the days
Old 24 May 2007, 12:10 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

This "fines for failure to comply" worries me.

I have seen instances where folk have had warning letters for NOT putting out their brown garden/kitchen refuse bin.

Reason? They compost all their own stuff for their garden, but does that satisfay the local council? Not a bit

Alcazar
Old 24 May 2007, 07:03 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Unhappy

It was on the news earlier that household waste only makes up 10% of the total refuse in the UK.

So, if we suddenly and miraculously stop all household waste, we are still left with 90% of the crap to get rid of!!!

Miliband - the man with his head up his ****

mb
Old 24 May 2007, 07:21 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

I got rid of my recycle boxes. I put them in the wheelie bin and never saw them again.
Old 24 May 2007, 08:45 PM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Live in Wokingham - just have bin bags - plus 2 recycling bixes every two weeks.
Ah, the Wokingham Workbench. Who needs a Black and Decker Workmate thing when you have two crates to do your woodwork on

Miss them now I've moved to Nottingham - wheelie bins are too tall for woodwork!
Old 24 May 2007, 09:02 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

So, the Councils put up the tax this year, as every year. Part of the service we get for these charges is rubbish collection. How in God's name can they expect us pay again.
Old 24 May 2007, 09:02 PM
sockpuppet
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boxst
Hello

I think that introducing charges based on waste will just increase the general litter around. Certain people are not going to pay £120, but just leave it on the road.

Steve
Damn right. I will. We already have the highest council tax in Surrey - which means probably in the whole country and had the sneaky spy chips put in our bins without any consultation.

Bring it on. I'll throw it everywhere!!
Old 24 May 2007, 09:04 PM
sockpuppet
Scooby Regular

See Channel 4 now!! Bin Wars!!
Old 24 May 2007, 09:55 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
This "fines for failure to comply" worries me.

I have seen instances where folk have had warning letters for NOT putting out their brown garden/kitchen refuse bin.

Reason? They compost all their own stuff for their garden, but does that satisfay the local council? Not a bit

Alcazar
It's that kind of thing that worries me. We compost uncooked veg waste, most cooked waste goes down the waste disposal. Paper is kept for lighting the coal fire. Our council don't recycle plastic. So we don't put much out in the recycle bins, tins and bottles mostly.