Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Unintentional outcome of Smoking Ban

Search this Thread

Old 23 May 2007, 06:49 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unintentional outcome of Smoking Ban

Cant quite believe this, but the bbc had an unintentional outcome of smoking bans story today

One guy from Scotland (an asthmatic, hated cigarettes all his life) has now started smoking since the ban came into effect, because when down at the pub, he gets left alone too much, whilst his mates go outside for a cigarette !!!

So instead of just going outside and standing with them, he now smokes 20 a day

Others were things like, Paparazzi stalking pubs n clubs etc as celebrities have to stand outside with joe public whilst they have a cigarette

Increase in Chef jobs as pubs start concentrating selling food as an alternative to people smoking

Increase in Global Warming, due to the amount of Pubs etc installing outdoor heaters
Old 24 May 2007, 12:15 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Did you see that I sent you a PM?

Les
Old 24 May 2007, 12:28 PM
TURBOTRONICS
Scooby Regular

One fact that every one seems to have overlooked is that when the ban kicks in there will be a lot of people giving up smoking which in turn means the government will be tax money down so to try and get this money back tax will go onto other thing like booze or even fuel
Just a little point I thought I would point out
Old 24 May 2007, 12:32 PM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, another consequence is more people smoking at home and giving their kids cancer and disease. How considerate smokers are, this ban can't come soon enough.
Old 24 May 2007, 12:37 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Go into any pub and look at the health warnings written on peoples' cigarette packets. Not many written in English is there ? There's so many people buying bootleg tobacco now I think the govt's coffers are already on a big downturn.
Anyway I've recently started manufacturing smoke shelters - now I can afford to smoke 60 a day ! Yay !
Old 24 May 2007, 12:41 PM
TURBOTRONICS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Also, another consequence is more people smoking at home and giving their kids cancer and disease. How considerate smokers are, this ban can't come soon enough.
I am a smoker mate and I couldn’t agree more I for a long time have never smoked in a pub or work place I don’t even smoke in my own home in fact I don’t know why I even smoke really
I really hate the b******s that smoke in the pub when your trying to have a meal I always ask them if they don’t mined im trying to eat ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

Old 24 May 2007, 12:43 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Must admit it's been in force for a year here and it seems to have worked pretty well. Our local pub is certainly a lot more habitable, and I can always get a seat (I just nick somebody's when they nip out for a *** ).

Still, I would say that - I don't smoke.
Old 24 May 2007, 12:46 PM
TURBOTRONICS
Scooby Regular

and you dont come home stinking of smoke at the end of the night
i will have to stop smoking
Old 24 May 2007, 01:04 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Originally Posted by ReallyReallyGoodMeat
That's a paradox me thinks because you seem to be condoning the ban as it will kill more kids "This ban is brill, it's going to cause more cancer in children! Woo Hoo" Wahey!

Hee Hee off we go again

5 weeks till I get banned from my local - or will I? Hee Hee

Nice smelling clothes and increased child death put to one side, there are other hidden costs to the ban and for once the BBC are doing something right.
Some people will take up smoking so as not to be left in on their own (sad but it will and has happened), pubs, snooker and working mens clubs will close as there has been a 14% loss of trade in Scotland so far therefore jobs will be lost.
I expect council tax will rise to fund the **** enforcers of the ban, the policing needed to protect them in many areas and the cleaning of litter that will become worse on the streets.
Taxes will have to rise if the number of smokers drop to offset the tax lost from cig revenue... So non smokers will subsidise the quitting. More patches on the NHS with less cash coming in - excellent - bravo!

It's an emotive subject for sure - I will always bite because I see a load of people being so passionate about something that has never really impacted their lives other than them having to wash the clothes they wear which they should be doing anyway...

Once this ludricrous ban is imposed, I cant wait to see what the masses moan about next, because when the government make their next monumental ***** up, they can try to win you all over by banning whatever that next thing is that is being whinged about...
Old 24 May 2007, 01:09 PM
hail-hail
Scooby Regular

Main problem is that instead of pubs stinking of smoke, they now stink of **** and man-bo.

Bring back the smokey smell I say.........
Old 24 May 2007, 01:13 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

The banning list:

1. Breast feeding in public
2. Drinking outside
3. Eating food while walking
4. Chewing gum in public
5. Americans, all of them, without exception
6. Fat people

Well that's a start
Old 24 May 2007, 01:14 PM
andypugh2000
Scooby Regular

I will look forward to the day I can sit in the pub and not have to breathe in some morons smoke who comes over to me to talk about my subaru's, thank god they will now go outside and not lurk around my table.

Lets not forget that pubs will now also attract non smokers that never went there before as they couldn't stand going home smelling of someone elses ****e, I hate smoking and think smokers are the most selfish breed on the planet, especially when I was having a meal in a pub a few weeks ago and because the next table had children sat there the adults got up and sat the other side of us and ALL lit up

This ban is years too late
Old 24 May 2007, 01:30 PM
mad_dr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Abdabz
I see a load of people being so passionate about something that has never really impacted their lives other than them having to wash the clothes they wear
Are you serious?! I'm sure you're not as ignorant as that comment makes you sound so I strongly suggest that you consider editing it. Comments like that just fuel the fire and make people even more certain of the generalisation that smokers are selfish people.

You're not doing your cause any favours with that attitude I'm afraid.
Old 24 May 2007, 02:14 PM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Abdabz
That's a paradox me thinks because you seem to be condoning the ban as it will kill more kids "This ban is brill, it's going to cause more cancer in children! Woo Hoo"
You are quite right, it is a paradox. But if they want to kill their own kids then so be it, they aren't fit to be parents and will just churn out the usual scum so prevalent these days to perpetuate the cycle. So yes, I'm looking forward to the smoking ban.
Old 24 May 2007, 03:14 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
The banning list:

1. Breast feeding in public
2. Drinking outside
3. Eating food while walking
4. Chewing gum in public
5. Americans, all of them, without exception
6. Fat people

Well that's a start
DCI you forgot the single most important thing on your list, and it should be at the top

1. Ban (no sorry make that Kill) all French
Old 24 May 2007, 03:15 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Leslie

Apologies yes I did get your PM, many thanks, I will reply once I get a spare few minutes
Old 24 May 2007, 03:22 PM
miss*scoobygav555*
Scooby Regular

I can't wait for the ban!!
Old 24 May 2007, 03:34 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by miss*scoobygav555*
I can't wait for the ban!!
Me too, I went out the other night and the local bar has already had a refit and banned it, it was a feckin pleasure to drink in there
Old 24 May 2007, 04:45 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Got it in Wales, it's great. Roll on July.

This govt taxes us to death anyway, a few more pence won't make much difference, and it's more healthy.

Geezer
Old 24 May 2007, 04:49 PM
Dill_typeR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TURBOTRONICS
One fact that every one seems to have overlooked is that when the ban kicks in there will be a lot of people giving up smoking which in turn means the government will be tax money down so to try and get this money back tax will go onto other thing like booze or even fuel
Just a little point I thought I would point out

They should end up spending less on patients with smoking related diseases on the NHS tho, although this will take years to effect.

The government will put taxes up on everything anyway, its what they do
Old 24 May 2007, 05:47 PM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know

One definite downside to the ban will be that the pub/restaurant entrances will be clogged up by smokers and pavements get quite dangerous with cigarettes at all angles- saw this quite a bit in New York where they banned it a while ago.
Old 24 May 2007, 06:30 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoob_babe
One definite downside to the ban will be that the pub/restaurant entrances will be clogged up by smokers and pavements get quite dangerous with cigarettes at all angles- saw this quite a bit in New York where they banned it a while ago.
Nah, it's the other end of a ciggy that's dangerous.
Old 24 May 2007, 09:43 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

I was in Wales last weekend where the ban is already in force, went for a wander in to Tenby and most of the pubs were empty, I suspect because most people were put off by the fact you couldn't get through the front door due to all the smokers clogging it up.
Old 24 May 2007, 11:47 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by OllyK
I was in Wales last weekend where the ban is already in force, went for a wander in to Tenby and most of the pubs were empty, I suspect because most people were put off by the fact you couldn't get through the front door due to all the smokers clogging it up.
I live down the road in Haverfordwest

The ban has been here since April and that month was very hot so it wasn't too much of an issue. Only thing that we noticed while out was that although the pubs don't smell of *** smoke they now reek of bog cleaning products!

Doesn't really bother me because I can take or leave smoking. A packet can last me well over a week.

You get used to it quickly though. Felt very strange when we stayed over in a hotel after Japfest and had a cig with our beer INSIDE
Old 25 May 2007, 12:01 AM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott

Only thing that we noticed while out was that although the pubs don't smell of *** smoke they now reek of bog cleaning products!
Up hear the pubs now smell sweaty. Is that why we're called "sweaty socks" ??
Old 25 May 2007, 11:43 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TURBOTRONICS
Isn't their take on it that they will save money via the NHS? Less people smoking, less people ill blah-blah
Old 25 May 2007, 04:13 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GazTheHat
Isn't their take on it that they will save money via the NHS? Less people smoking, less people ill blah-blah
Tax raised from tabacco massively exceeds the cost to the NHS of treating smoking related illness. If tabacco revenue dissapeared over night, you'd have a 9 billion black hole and another 50 years of smoking related diseases still to treat.