Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Whistleblower 9pm bbc

Search this Thread

Old 22 May 2007, 09:58 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whistleblower 9pm bbc

So anyone using their local butcher a bit more?
Old 22 May 2007, 11:05 PM
Stephb1986
Scooby Regular

well i wont be shopping in tesco's or sainsburys again that was disgusting!
Old 22 May 2007, 11:07 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

I always use the local farms/butchers now
Old 23 May 2007, 08:44 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

I saw this and was horrified - i am seriosuly looking at quality butchers now.

It was a feckin disgrace
Old 23 May 2007, 08:47 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattW
So anyone using their local butcher a bit more?
Never buy meat from the supermarkets, our local butcher is closer, better quality and probably as cheap.

The difference in taste is staggering TBH.
Old 23 May 2007, 09:04 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
Never buy meat from the supermarkets, our local butcher is closer, better quality and probably as cheap.

Completely agree using butcher burgers on a bbq they never shrink ,taste good and are very filling and tbh a lot cheaper.
Used to work in a supermarket many moons ago (in charge of freezer products) and everyone i worked with would adhere to health and safety but nowadays it's always profit,profit and more profit.
Old 23 May 2007, 09:19 AM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

You could have bet your mortgage on the standard corporate reponse from all concerned at the end of the show. Isolated incident / we're re-training staff - bollox!!!

My bro used to be a bakery manager for Tesco and he used to get battered for throwing away any bread products that didn't sell, it's management pressure to hit wastage targets to increase their greedy coffers by a few more pence.

I can't beleive that chicken farm and the ready meal factory didn't beleive customers health had been put at risk - they should be shut down!!
Old 23 May 2007, 11:07 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

missed it. come on then what did they do or didn't do that they should?
Old 23 May 2007, 11:14 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Agree totally ....
Old 23 May 2007, 11:27 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Many of the problems were temperature/storage related. Checking and recording fridge/freezer temperatures is a pain and so open to abuse.

Surely there must be a device that will do this automatically and cannot be tampered with? Typically this would be set to record temperatures every 4 hours or whatever and would provide a complete record. Obviously there would be a code for a manager to check at any time and an alarm facility if temperatures went out of acceptable range if fridge broke or someone left the door open.

The memory of that Tesco's minger shoving fish up her ample nose to see if it was "fresh" haunts me
Old 23 May 2007, 11:33 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I bet those on the program get fired and that's it.

It's very hard to trip the big supermarkets up but this was a good effort - I just think that those in charge won't for one second think "maybe we should stop only chasing profit and go back to basics"

I'm buying meat and fish locally all the time (was just most of the time) now.
Old 23 May 2007, 11:58 AM
MJW
Scooby Senior

I didn't see the programme but have read bits about it on the BBC news site. Supermarkets have already virtually screwed the food producers into the ground for profits and the fact that they're risking the health of their customers to further increase their profits is a disgrace.
Having said that, a vast majority of the public is just as guilty for shopping there and expecting cheap prices. The only way to make them take notice is to vote with your wallet.
Old 23 May 2007, 12:03 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

MJW - But I don't think the public realised QUITE how much they are being shafted.
My view has generally been "they screw their suppliers but at least they are usually decent/safe quality and cheap" - Now the quality bit is in serious doubt.

Been getting an organic veg box for two years now and try to avoid much supermarket shopping but for the basics (milk, tins of stuff, cleaning products, cereal, etc) they are hard to beat.
Will avoid anything fresh from them now.
Old 23 May 2007, 12:05 PM
ChrisB

I bet the meat / fish counters are down on business today.

All our fresh meat comes from our local farm shops (quite a choice these days). Whilst you don't know what goes on behind the scenes there, I would hope it's better given the different environment.
Old 23 May 2007, 12:15 PM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

im very suprised by the posts here. My missus knows about what goes on behind the scenes & how they shaft the suppliers & has been trying to tell nsr what goes on in other threads only for her facts to be disregarded as utter rubbish.

i still think the majority wont care as long as they save a few quid.

I did laugh as t***o's 'green' report, then see that they fly all their dvds from hayes depot to switzerland then fly them back to save £1.36
Old 23 May 2007, 01:25 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Ive said this for years. Luckily Ive got 2 farm shops close to me and a few very good butchers. I still use Sainsbugs for bits and pieces as its convenient but for all fresh produce I go elsewhere where the quality is better and the price is cheaper.

Chip
Old 23 May 2007, 03:15 PM
falkster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hanley
You could have bet your mortgage on the standard corporate reponse from all concerned at the end of the show. Isolated incident / we're re-training staff - bollox!!!

My bro used to be a bakery manager for Tesco and he used to get battered for throwing away any bread products that didn't sell, it's management pressure to hit wastage targets to increase their greedy coffers by a few more pence.

I can't beleive that chicken farm and the ready meal factory didn't beleive customers health had been put at risk - they should be shut down!!
So were you brothers managers wrong for battering him or was he wrong for not producing the correct amount of product?
Old 23 May 2007, 03:20 PM
falkster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
Many of the problems were temperature/storage related. Checking and recording fridge/freezer temperatures is a pain and so open to abuse.

Surely there must be a device that will do this automatically and cannot be tampered with? Typically this would be set to record temperatures every 4 hours or whatever and would provide a complete record. Obviously there would be a code for a manager to check at any time and an alarm facility if temperatures went out of acceptable range if fridge broke or someone left the door open.

The memory of that Tesco's minger shoving fish up her ample nose to see if it was "fresh" haunts me
There are systems out there and any company worth their salt would have them in place. All fridges/freezers are linked to one computer system within the store and alarm if there is an issue. It shows who silenced the alarms and at what time. This does minimise the amount of times you have issues with losing product or potentially re-freezing product etc.
Old 23 May 2007, 04:16 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

If I were a cartoonist I would come up with a sketch of a big Tesco's fridge and a small bloated maggot crawling away.....

The caption would be "Every Little Helps"
Old 23 May 2007, 05:03 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Default Condom found in Tesco sandwich

Condom found in Tesco sandwich - News - MK News

Chip
Old 23 May 2007, 06:13 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chip
Was i wrong to laugh
Old 23 May 2007, 06:24 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
missed it. come on then what did they do or didn't do that they should?
As mentioned mainly lack of temp checks, that wasn't so bad though as you could argue if there was no issue, then no harm done.

The worst bit was changing dates on meat, mincing "past USE by date" steak to sell as fresh mince, and cross contamination of meat/fish knives.
Old 23 May 2007, 10:21 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by falkster
So were you brothers managers wrong for battering him or was he wrong for not producing the correct amount of product?
The same managers also tell them each day how much to produce.
Old 24 May 2007, 12:12 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

A friend of mine just got a pie from tesco today and found a maggot in it !!! Euuw !!
Old 24 May 2007, 12:20 PM
Karl 227
BANNED

Originally Posted by Chip
"The condom, which did not appear to be used, was unwrapped from its foil covering and covered in Branston pickle."

She hopes
Old 24 May 2007, 05:21 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Default ASDA fined £80000

Rotten chops bag Asda £80,000 fine | Metro.co.uk

Lamb chops a month out of date. Bet they tasted nice.

Chip
Old 25 May 2007, 09:10 AM
RB5201
Scooby Regular

What amazes me is that it took 5 months in that tesco store to get the few bits of footage of staff doing things wrong, and yes they were doing things wrong, but if they were that concerned why did they stand back and carry on filming it for 5 months?? Are they not also as guilty for doing nothing for all that time, also knowing it was wrong.
Old 25 May 2007, 09:34 AM
falkster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hanley
The same managers also tell them each day how much to produce.
Thats incorrect! If managers were telling managers what to produce why would they need him as a manager?

They actually have something called Production Planning and this tells the Bakery Manager what his team need to produce throughout the day. This is dependant on the Bakery managers inputting the correct forecast so the Bakery manager can both achieve customer satifaction via having the product available but also not compromise himself by overspending on waste.

Managers are there to manage and not to do. Do you think a large company like Tesco would leave any one person in any one of their stores to decide what needs to be made on any one day? You would have massive inconsistencies across the chain hence why they, and other large retailers, have systems so even the most inexperienced managers can use.
Old 25 May 2007, 11:04 AM
RB5201
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by falkster

Managers are there to manage and not to do. Do you think a large company like Tesco would leave any one person in any one of their stores to decide what needs to be made on any one day? You would have massive inconsistencies across the chain hence why they, and other large retailers, have systems so even the most inexperienced managers can use.
You are right stores do have production planners, however a good manager will only use this as a guide as the production planners only use the information avaliable to them. For example if the weather suddenly turns hot a the weekend people will buy more rolls and french stick etc for BBQs, the production planner will not take this into account, an experianced bakery manager will know this and will take the decision to increase orders, as if not the stores will be empty of these products very quicky. No doubt he will consult with his boss first, but ultimatly one person in the store will make this call.
An inexperenced manager may not check or make this call, and that where the inconsistencies come from.

Quick Reply: Whistleblower 9pm bbc