Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Kids and Television

Search this Thread

Old 07 May 2007, 07:00 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kids and Television

Do you folk on here let your kids watch TV when they go to bed?

Roughly how much TV do you let them watch, and do you think it has any impact on how they are etc

One of the kids broke the main TV a few months ago, and also around the same time they lost their TV privelege for a week as punishment for not doing as they were told

They were quite upset about this, as they have always been used to having an hour of TV at night when they go to bed

The funny thing is, they actually receieved another 1 week TV ban in the bedrooms for continued misbehaving

Now since then they havent had the TV's on at all, they no longer ask can they watch TV, aand just go to bed, and more or less go to sleep straight away (ish)

So for the last 2 months or so they havent watched a single minute of TV, and they do seem to be playing more together and being a bit more imaginitive in their play

They also play up a little bit more on occasion, which I have put down to boredom through lack of TV as another stimulus once they have finished playing with their toys

The youngest spends more time with her mum instead of just being a couch potato in the other room, once she is home from school (11.30 as she isnt full time at school yet)

Kids are 3, 5 and 7

Also am I now being bad depriving them of TV for this long

Im thinking of re-introducing TV for them at bedtime but now only at weekends as a treat

The Main TV is still off, and is not going to get fixed until I can be bothered

Steve
Old 07 May 2007, 07:18 PM
Old Farquar
Scooby Regular

Our 13 year old boy had his TV / Xbox etc removed for a week after getting a detention at school. All was OK, then we found out he had been getting lunchtime detentions that we didn't know about, making nine in total. Nothing that bad really to be fair, just being lippy in lessons.

He was warned that one more detention, and all his stuff would be ebayed and the cash go to the charity of his choice.

After a week or so, another detention so he lost it all. My missus compromised, it wasn't sold, but all put in the loft for an indefinite period.

Since then, he's only allowed to watch the main TV, and has taken to reading at a great rate. He's also more interested in things, and seems to use his imagination more, as he hasn't just got to press a button for anything.

He hasn't asked for it back, and as far as we're concerned, he won't be getting it back anytime soon.
Old 07 May 2007, 08:05 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

James

They are now, as they seemed to have forgotten about the TV most days, its only the odd occasion they ask can they watch it

We don't sit down and watch TV as a family, as they go to bed reasonably early, and the only things they like are citv or cbeebies

I still have one in the main room but it is broke, and I wont fix it on principal, as I want them to realise that if they break things they dont just get replaced/repaired

I dont really watch TV anyway, and at the most it has only been used to watch Top gear, if we want to watch something we stick a film on the projector in the other living room