Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related
View Poll Results: Did you vote? If not, why not?
Yes, I voted
47.06%
I did not vote as I'm not registered
7.06%
I did not vote as I have no interest in it/couldn't be bothered
12.94%
I did not vote as I feel all parties are now so alike it's not worth it
12.94%
I did not vote as I could not make it
8.24%
I did not vote as no-one stood for what I believe in.
11.76%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Did you vote? If not, why not?

Search this Thread

Old 04 May 2007, 11:57 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Did you vote? If not, why not?

As post really, just interested, as I did Poll-clerk duty yesterday, and heard a lot of disgruntled voters.......
Old 04 May 2007, 11:58 AM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I voted!
Old 04 May 2007, 11:58 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Didnt vote for the first time in ages.

Why?

Well because no matter who I seem to vote for nothing ever changes anyway, its all a load of bull (well certainly is in my area) just cant be doing with the hassle anymore.
Old 04 May 2007, 11:59 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

I submitted a spoiled ballot.
Old 04 May 2007, 12:09 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

"Didn't know what the policies of any of the candidates were" - not on the list.

Can't/won't vote blindly locally on the basis of my national election choice, many people do though.
Old 04 May 2007, 12:20 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

My wife threw the polling cards away
Old 04 May 2007, 12:21 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

For the first time ever, I didn't vote mainly because I didn't understand what the local issues were, nor did any of the candidates bother to knock on my door in an attempt to explain them.

In fact we were walking the hound last night and walked right past the polling station with the Tory candidate standing outside -didn't bother to engage us in conversation or make any attempt at communication. Strange.

As Tel rightly points out, you have to separate national and local issues during these elections but the problem the country has as a whole is voter apathy and if politicians want the electorate to engage in the process then they're going to have to be a hell of a lot more proactive, in order to achieve that.

Of course, lazy *******s like myself are also going to have meet them half way and find out what the issues actually are.
Old 04 May 2007, 12:28 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Not one of them had an overall policy i agree with. tories were aiming at old people, labour were going to spunk all our money on drug rehabilitation and scumbags, can't remember the rest.

what is sad is that the bnp with their, lots get police back on the beat, stop employing cheap doctors and employ good ones and stop chavs harassing people actually sounded like the best of the lot and that's just sad!

5t.
Old 04 May 2007, 12:29 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by fivetide
Not one of them had an overall policy i agree with. tories were aiming at old people, labour were going to spunk all our money on drug rehabilitation and scumbags, can't remember the rest.

what is sad is that the bnp with their, lots get police back on the beat, stop employing cheap doctors and employ good ones and stop chavs harassing people actually sounded like the best of the lot and that's just sad!

5t.
Why is it sad? sounds like the exact thing we want changing in this country... Just whenever you see BNP you automatically see the word racist.
Old 04 May 2007, 12:30 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

nope - inbetween moving houses
Old 04 May 2007, 12:39 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

I voted. I reckon I can't complain if a Saddam Hussein-esque figure gets into power if I don't !

(or Alex Salmond, for that matter. ).

Andy
Old 04 May 2007, 12:40 PM
amazinggrace
Super Muppet

Location: Little Green Men, come from Mars, look they've stolen all my bra'''''s'''''!'''''''

No option on the poll for me

I wanted to vote, am registered, but didn't recieve my postal ballot. I applied for my husband and myself at the same time, he recieved his and I didn't get one. I thought maybe we were going back to the days of no Women votes.

And before anyone says why didn't I just go to the polling station, I had a very early appointment at the Dr's and then was working from 8.30am to 10pm

BTW, Hubby didn't vote
Old 04 May 2007, 12:40 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
I submitted a spoiled ballot.

you and about 99,999 people by all accounts.

Many of them Scots......explains it!!!

*Ducks*
Old 04 May 2007, 12:41 PM
bonerp
Scooby Regular

Lets face it they just want votes to achieve their life ambition of being in front line politics. They don't do any anything different to the next party! As said above they came round shuving their leaflets through my door like the local pizza shop, but didn't think to knock and understand how I feel about local issues!
If they can't face up to the issues that face US day in day out, they can **** off.
Paul
Old 04 May 2007, 12:46 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

I always vote. My grandparents fought in a big war type affair to make it possible... The party I voted for does not reflect all of my political views but represented me on issues that are important to me...
Old 04 May 2007, 12:55 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Abdabz
I always vote. My grandparents fought in a big war type affair to make it possible... The party I voted for does not reflect all of my political views but represented me on issues that are important to me...
Indeed, but my attitude is: No vote, No say......and especially, No complaint!!!!!

I do feel there should be an option that says something along the lines of: "I am here to register my vote, however, I do not feel any of the candidates are worthy of my support"

This prevents people either staying at home to avoid voting for someone they don't really support in protest (not really how you'd want someone to get to power in a democracy) or just spoiling a ballot, which doesn't register their objection to the candidates; it could mean they're a plonker who didn't read/understand the instructions as far as the people who interpret the results are concerned!

ns04
Old 04 May 2007, 12:58 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
I do feel there should be an option that says something along the lines of: "I am here to register my vote, however, I do not feel any of the candidates are worthy of my support"

This prevents people either staying at home to avoid voting for someone they don't really support in protest (not really how you'd want someone to get to power in a democracy) or just spoiling a ballot, which doesn't register their objection to the candidates; it could mean they're a plonker who didn't read/understand the instructions as far as the people who interpret the results are concerned!

ns04
Spoiled ballots are seen as registering your dissatisfaction with all candidates rather than people being plonkers.

Agreed a box to tick would formalise it, but in essence it is the same thing.
Old 04 May 2007, 12:59 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

I didn't vote for several reasons, the biggest being that it winds people up.
Old 04 May 2007, 01:01 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

And you're wondering, with respect, why you're having to go through the hoops for minimum wage jobs?? Grow up, Marc, that's just teenage angst.
Old 04 May 2007, 01:01 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
Spoiled ballots are seen as registering your dissatisfaction with all candidates rather than people being plonkers.

Agreed a box to tick would formalise it, but in essence it is the same thing.
Depends how you spoil them mate I suggest nipping to the loo and using them as substitute loo roll for best effect!!!

There are allegedly 100,000 spoiled ballots in Scotland. So either a) there are a lot of dissatisifed voters b) A lot of people got it wrong.

Guess which premise the enquiry is proceding on??

Either way it's disturbing!!!! Either a) There is little worth voting for in Scotland b) We've given the vote to 100,000 people who aren't clever enough to put a few ticks in boxes

A seperate box would disambiguate those who want to register dissaproval from people who just get it wrong!!

ns04

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 04 May 2007 at 01:05 PM.
Old 04 May 2007, 01:04 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TelBoy
And you're wondering, with respect, why you're having to go through the hoops for minimum wage jobs?? Grow up, Marc, that's just teenage angst.
See, wound you up didn't it.

I didn't vote because of the last option.
Old 04 May 2007, 01:05 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

No, not at all Why on Earth would it do that given i didn't vote myself?? Never mind.
Old 04 May 2007, 01:07 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Yes never mind.
Old 04 May 2007, 01:09 PM
Heple
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TelBoy
"Didn't know what the policies of any of the candidates were" - not on the list.

Can't/won't vote blindly locally on the basis of my national election choice, many people do though.
I am of the exact same opinion

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Indeed, but my attitude is: No vote, No say......and especially, No complaint!!!!!

ns04
I also fully agree with NS04

Craig

Last edited by Heple; 04 May 2007 at 01:15 PM.
Old 04 May 2007, 01:11 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
Why is it sad? sounds like the exact thing we want changing in this country... Just whenever you see BNP you automatically see the word racist.

Not necessarily, i just don't think that they have the experience to run the local councils etc. At a general election, to speak up on what people think then it might be a different case.

5t.
Old 04 May 2007, 01:12 PM
Probein
Scooby Regular

Voting is like being a Vegetarian, one person won't make a difference so there's no point in bothering.
Old 04 May 2007, 01:23 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Probein
Voting is like being a Vegetarian, one person won't make a difference so there's no point in bothering.
Don't you mean, whether you vote or are a vegetarian, it has the same effect:

People ignore you!!

Using the above reasoning is the same as saying

"just my one piece of litter won't make a difference"
Old 04 May 2007, 02:44 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

For the first time since turned 18 no I didn't

For two reasons;

I live in a safe conservative constituency, so one more vote in that direction wouldn't affect the result

I didn't register for postal voting because I didn't want some canvasser at the local Labour office intercepting it and voting for me
Old 04 May 2007, 02:56 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

I voted for our independant candidate because she has done more for the area than any of the previous main party elected people before her and she deserves to keep her post.
If someone is prepared to give 100% in their elected position then they get my vote whatever hat they are wearing.

Cheers
Lee

Quick Reply: Did you vote? If not, why not?