Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Missing child.

Search this Thread

Old 04 May 2007, 11:42 AM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Missing child.

A great shame for the parents but, not having any it strikes me as a bit of a daft move (if true) to leave a child on its own sleeping in a holiday apartment even if they've been checking on it every half hour? Is this normal practice? To my mind anything could happen in that time frame but as I say, as I don't have kids I have no reference point. Hopefully, the child will be found soon.

Brendan - has this been reported locally?

BBC NEWS | England | Leicestershire | Police search for missing toddler
Old 04 May 2007, 11:43 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Flatcapdriver
Brendan - has this been reported locally?
Like in NSR? Yup

https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...-children.html
Old 04 May 2007, 12:25 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Cheers, Dave. Need to engage brain and eyes this morning.

Old 04 May 2007, 12:31 PM
Scooby Snacks 23
Scooby Regular

Very upsetting to read the report but what the **** were the "parents" thinking of

I very much hope they find the little girl, but the "parents" must be prosecuted for neglect as a result, surely.
Old 04 May 2007, 12:35 PM
supertouring
Scooby Regular

Went there on hols this time last year!

Mark Warner resorts are usually self contained and they have a baby listening service which operates late into the evening.

The Portugal resort was different (IIRC) and it was just appartments split over a large non-exclusive and wider area.

I think people let their guards down on holiday, so I can see how this happened.

Hope they find the child safe and well.
Old 04 May 2007, 12:38 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

As I siad on the other thread, our point of reference is the range of a baby monitor (they claim 300 yards but in a hotel its nowhere near that).

An example is in our case, say booking a small country hotel we'd book requesting a room nearest or above the hotel restaurant, so in effect once our 3 year old is asleep she is the same distance away from us compared to when at home, well within baby monitor range. Obvious difference is other people can roam around the place so you have to rely on the room being secure.

However a huge resort, ground floor appartments or adjoining balconies, easy to force patio doors etc is a completely different scenario
Old 04 May 2007, 01:56 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

i dont understand why anyone would leave there children alone especially on holiday,

when my son was three we took a trolley and he eventually nodded off about 9pm, and we stayed out a little later,

another thing that bugs me is the kids clubs, why take them to farm them onto someone else.

ours dont leave or sights. we take them out places and play with them thats why you take them, if their happy it makes the holiday

lets home she turns up save and well, the poor little thing
Old 04 May 2007, 02:29 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by j4ckos mate

ours dont leave or sights. we take them out places and play with them thats why you take them, if their happy it makes the holiday

Could not agree more!
Old 04 May 2007, 02:35 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

As above -shocking lack of comprehension surrounding the situation.....

You need a license to fish, but any old pleb can haev a child......

Really hope the child turns up safe and sound (can't/don't want to imagine what the child's going through now)

Dan
Old 04 May 2007, 05:52 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jay m A
An example is in our case, say booking a small country hotel we'd book requesting a room nearest or above the hotel restaurant, so in effect once our 3 year old is asleep she is the same distance away from us compared to when at home, well within baby monitor range. Obvious difference is other people can roam around the place so you have to rely on the room being secure.
And in the case of a fire? Obvious difference 2 = you are fighting your way upstairs against a flow of panicking guests in a place that you don't know very well against all the normal fire safety rules. Personally I wouldn't risk it
Old 05 May 2007, 12:26 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

I can understand why some people think this might make for a good holiday, but there is nothing on this earth that would make me leave my kids (8 & 6) anywhere other than under the direct supervision of an adult that I trust (which is basically me, wife, my parents and school)
Old 08 May 2007, 10:29 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Originally Posted by speedking
And in the case of a fire? Obvious difference 2 = you are fighting your way upstairs against a flow of panicking guests in a place that you don't know very well against all the normal fire safety rules. Personally I wouldn't risk it
Every individual case merits its own risk assesment!

You're more at risk from harm travelling to the hotel than the scenario you describe, where do you draw the line?
Old 08 May 2007, 12:54 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

You're right. A risk assessment categorises and then minimises the risks. You decide that the benefits of a holiday outweight the risk involved in flying abroad. Even when you hear of plane crashes you're decision is unswayed.

These guys decided that the benefit of a meal out, outweighed the risks to the children. They are now living with the consequences of that decision. I'd bet that given their time again the decision would be different.

Many on these threads have done the RA and come to a different conclusion.
Old 08 May 2007, 01:05 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

I think it's a very sad story however, I don't think you can blame the parents for this.
The child could have been snatched when they were in bed, in the living room, in the shower etc. It just so happens they were having dinner in the restaurant.

When I was young my mam & dad used to leave me and my sister alone while they had dinner. Obviously we were told not to answer the door, and call reception if anything happened.

The person/people to blame here is the sick B@stard who snatched the little girl.

We now live in unfortunate times. I bet most of us on here when we were young used to play outside without our parents keeping an eye on us.

I remember leaving the house at say 9am. The next my mother would see of me was around dinner time when I was hungry. Again at tea time.

It is a sad fact that times have changed but it's impossible to have a constant eye on your children.

This family was just unlucky that it was their daughter that was snatched. I bet other parents left their kids in the rooms too.
Old 08 May 2007, 01:08 PM
turboman786
Scooby Regular

I dont understand why this story is taking up 30% of the news coverage at the moment, sure it is an awful story, but at the end of the day there are thousands of kids DYING and BEING KILLED every day.......yet they do not get so much as a snippet of news time......
Old 08 May 2007, 01:11 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

You're right. A risk assessment categorises and then minimises the risks. You decide that the benefits of a holiday outweight the risk involved in flying abroad. Even when you hear of plane crashes you're decision is unswayed.

These guys decided that the benefit of a meal out, outweighed the risks to the children. They are now living with the consequences of that decision. I'd bet that given their time again the decision would be different.

Many on these threads have done the RA and come to a different conclusion.
Absolutely. Looking at the ariel photos on the other thread, if accurate I wouldn't have done it - no need for hindsight
Old 08 May 2007, 01:15 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

its like how the people who leave young children with dogs. You just dont do it!
Old 08 May 2007, 01:32 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

^^ Completely incomparable situations, what on earth made you think those two scenarios are synonymous?? When you're a parent, and have had years of having had your every action dictated by tot(s), then come back and have an informed opinion as to whether it's right or not to take a calculated risk within a supposedly secure holiday location. Stilover's post summed it up quite nicely for the majority of parents living in the real world.
Old 08 May 2007, 01:37 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TelBoy
^^ Completely incomparable situations, what on earth made you think those two scenarios are synonymous?? When you're a parent, and have had years of having had your every action dictated by tot(s), then come back and have an informed opinion as to whether it's right or not to take a calculated risk within a supposedly secure holiday location. Stilover's post summed it up quite nicely for the majority of parents living in the real world.
I would not leave toddlers unsupervised for any length of time, especially in a foreign country thats unfamiliar to them.

If you would do so then great, but I wont be taking such risks when I have children
Old 08 May 2007, 01:42 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Exactly what i said too. Easy when you're in the no-kids camp, believe me.
Old 08 May 2007, 01:53 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

I know what you're saying Telboy, but even if the room was 100% secure - if you can't hear your children when they call out, then you're too far away IMO.
Old 08 May 2007, 01:58 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

I agree with that. As i've mentioned elsewhere, not using the baby listening service was totally negligent if it was as simple as that. Half hourly visits are not sufficient. If any good at all comes from this, i hope it's that some mothers who up till now have been taking liberties in this regards will re-appraise their actions.
Old 08 May 2007, 02:28 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

It does seem ludicrous not to have taken advantage of the services available so in my opinion the parents have to shoulder some blame but lets hope this doesn't lead to some knee jerk legislation similar to that in France after one of the French politicians lost his daughter to drowning in a pool. Very sad but the resultant legislation was poorly thought out.
Old 08 May 2007, 02:40 PM
scoobchrissy
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by j4ckos mate
i dont understand why anyone would leave there children alone especially on holiday,

when my son was three we took a trolley and he eventually nodded off about 9pm, and we stayed out a little later,

another thing that bugs me is the kids clubs, why take them to farm them onto someone else.

Agree 100%
Old 08 May 2007, 03:09 PM
ethanrob
Scooby Regular

Im sorry,but whats all this "risk assessment" crap about!

what parent in there right mind leaves small children/toddlers un supervised and out of hear-shot/sight

As above,my lad is only cared for by either myself/the missus or our close family(grandparents/aunts and uncles) and the school he attends

My hopes are for a safe return for the little girl in portugal,but her parents need a dam good slap if they think this is "acceptable" care for a child

Everyone at one time or another on here will have seen the usual site of parents getting hammered in the hotel bar whilst there kids are either asleep on a chair in the corner,or wandering around near the pool/road bored to tears and tired

The missus and myself plan our holidays around our son,simple as that!

When we go on holiday,we spend the day enjoying the holiday as a "family unit" and the evening's the same(meal/local bar/shopping/crazy golf etc etc)

Bedtime comes,my son goes to bed,so do we or have a drink on the balcony/patio.

We are responsable for our children,its time more people realised this fact,it is down to the child's parent or guardian that they are safe,no one else

risk assessments my ****,common sense wins through every time.

mark
Old 08 May 2007, 03:22 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Exactly when you decide to have children you have effectively decided to give up your freedom and for your actions to be dictated by tots.
Old 08 May 2007, 03:26 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Up to a point, yes. For those parents who can get through their kids' childhood without ever stepping over the 100% guaranteed safety line, i salute them. These are the people who therefore by definition have childlocks on everything, smoke alarms which are tested weekly, blank out plates on all vacant sockets etc etc. Sorry but whilst the soundbyte is admirable, the reality isn't always quite so achievable.
Old 08 May 2007, 03:27 PM
scoobchrissy
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by ethanrob
Im sorry,but whats all this "risk assessment" crap about!

what parent in there right mind leaves small children/toddlers un supervised and out of hear-shot/sight

As above,my lad is only cared for by either myself/the missus or our close family(grandparents/aunts and uncles) and the school he attends

My hopes are for a safe return for the little girl in portugal,but her parents need a dam good slap if they think this is "acceptable" care for a child

Everyone at one time or another on here will have seen the usual site of parents getting hammered in the hotel bar whilst there kids are either asleep on a chair in the corner,or wandering around near the pool/road bored to tears and tired

The missus and myself plan our holidays around our son,simple as that!

When we go on holiday,we spend the day enjoying the holiday as a "family unit" and the evening's the same(meal/local bar/shopping/crazy golf etc etc)

Bedtime comes,my son goes to bed,so do we or have a drink on the balcony/patio.

We are responsable for our children,its time more people realised this fact,it is down to the child's parent or guardian that they are safe,no one else

risk assessments my ****,common sense wins through every time.

mark
Well said Mark

Edited to say hope they do find the child safe and well

Last edited by scoobchrissy; 08 May 2007 at 03:32 PM.
Old 08 May 2007, 03:28 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Idealistic soundbyte, good though it reads.
Old 08 May 2007, 03:38 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I sympathise with the parents as I also have two three year olds and can only imagine the pain and torment that they they are going through. However there is huge media coverage over this, with some questioning the parenting abilities of the parents for leaving their childen unattended for such a long period of time. But why is it that the media always seems to jump on the bandwagon whenever something like this happens to an individual who just happens to be a pretty, blond, blue eyed caucasian girl belonging to a white middle england family? Incidents like this for British Black or Asian or other ethinic minority families have little or no coverage on the whole. I find it hard to beleive incidents like this does not happen for these people or is it that its not as newsworthy? In any case I do hope the little girl turns up safe and sound.

Quick Reply: Missing child.