Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

BEN NEVIS! - any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 18 April 2007, 05:58 PM
turboman786
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BEN NEVIS! - any tips?

I am due to walk Ben Nevis this weekend, and have done a fair bit of research and planning, but scoobynet is always good for some real advice!

So, whos done it, and what tips do you give with hindsight?

Ive got the full kit: walking boots, 1000mile socks, full waterproof top/trousers, mutli layered garments, rucksack, rations etc etc...

So, anything besides the obvious that I need to be aware of?

ta!
Old 18 April 2007, 07:21 PM
CHRIS_D
Scooby Regular

I'm assuming your going up the tourist route

If so then i think you've got it covered mate. Been all around the area loads of times (mamores, nevis, glen coe, cairngorns etc) but I've only done Nevis once, tourist route and it was about now. Still had snow on the peak and the vis was nil for about the last 300m. It was busy so the track was well marked out in the snow so no need to pull the map and gps out. Might be worth adding them to your list though and make sure someone knows you are going and which route you're taking. The phone signal from the top is good by the way.

On a final note, when i got to the peak i got into my warm kit and gore-tex whilst i had a brew before descending. As i did so some yanks tipped up in trainers and denim shorts carrying a tescos carrier bag of sweets .

Oh, don't forget to get a Munro book and tick it off after.

Last edited by CHRIS_D; 18 April 2007 at 07:25 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 18 April 2007, 07:50 PM
turboman786
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the tips Chris......excuse my ignorance, but what is a 'munro book'??

Yes, we have also bought a proper map, have compass, and one of the group has got GPS in case we lose the track

And yes it is the tourist route we are doing, even that is making me feel nervous! I did Mount Snowden about 6 months ago, and found that pretty exhausting, so Im wary of Ben Nevis as I hear its much harder!
Old 18 April 2007, 08:13 PM
survey steve
Scooby Regular

you can and being scotland, often do get 4 seasons in the one day

so along with all the other stuff i would take some sun block with you

better to have and not need and all that
Old 18 April 2007, 09:02 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

(Given your saying your taking the proper equipment I doubt I need to say this - but... )

Don't let bravery/stupidity block a decision to call it off and go back down.

Its infinity better to make a duff call and sit at the bottom seeing the peak bathed in sunshine than let bravado take over and get yourselves caught in conditions you can't cope with.

Tourist route or not - mountains can be dangerous; and I have serious personal reservations with this obsession about making the mountains more accessible as if they're like wandering around Kew gardens. They may not fall into the same league as the Alps, but experienced climbers still get into trouble in British mountains because they get caught out by becoming complacent.

Agreed with sun-block by the way! I managed to get burnt on an October climb of Snowdon via Crib Goch believe it or not.

(By the way - you've only ever climbed Snowdon if you've done the Crib Goch approach )

Last edited by Prasius; 18 April 2007 at 09:05 PM.
Old 18 April 2007, 09:23 PM
f1sh4u
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Prasius
(By the way - you've only ever climbed Snowdon if you've done the Crib Goch approach )
Agreed!

On the Nevis advise front, all i would say that on the steep bits take short steps and go slowly, when it comes to mountain climbing the tortoise always wins.

You shouldn't really need GPS or your map. I did it in terible condidtions. Blowing a gale and very very rainy and misty and the cairs (piles of rocks) clearly mark the way. In the conditions i did it in the next cairn was always just about visible.
Old 18 April 2007, 09:36 PM
Simes777
Scooby Regular

The Munros are the 284 Scottish mountains which rise to over 3000ft above sea level - the "munro" book would list them all and you can tick them off as you go, although it might take a while!!
Old 18 April 2007, 09:54 PM
Robin Mullan
Scooby Regular

Location: Aylesbury. Type-R V4, 2.2l 415BHP, 400LBS. Feels good!!! Now i really want more !!!

You own a 4 wheel drive don t you.
Old 19 April 2007, 07:58 AM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

Only problem I had doing this was that there were so many people up there it was hard to find somewhere to have a pee. It is a slog as it starts at sea level and the zig zag bit of the tourist path is a drag. You sound well equipped so you'll have no trouble. I also saw idiots in trainers and t shirts at the top, they looked very cold when a thick mist rolled in.
Old 19 April 2007, 08:20 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Yeah don't fall down it

I'll get my coat

Would love to take some pictures up there
Cheers
Colin
Old 19 April 2007, 08:21 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

I am intending to walk Snowdon and Scafell this summer and have the same kit as turboman, so a well timed thread which I'll be keeping my eye on!
I have as much experience of climbing mountains as Russel Brand has of being funny, but I'm fit enough and have the kit and am doing both mountains the first time the easy way
Good luck Turboman!
Old 19 April 2007, 08:27 AM
Dark
Scooby Regular

If the weather is bad on top you need to be very careful and follow the decent instructions written on the map. Ideally you should read these before you set off and know how to take and walk to a bearing.

The path goes very close to Observatory Gully at the top which may have a cornice, be careful ! Further down stay to the path, Red Burn to the west and Five Finger Gully to the east are easy to enter, more difficult to leave and the scene of many accidents.

Otherwise have a great day !!

Mark
Old 19 April 2007, 09:18 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's going to be fairly busy around Fort William on Sunday, it's the 24th running of the Lochaber Marathon (about 400 runners).

link
Old 19 April 2007, 09:43 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Smile

Started it a few times in the past but aborted as the weather was really grotty.

Finally made it a few years ago on a uncharacteristically baking hot day in June (normally rains whenever I go to Scotland!). No problems except carrying enough fluid to stay hydrated as we were sweating buckets. Emptied a 3l Camelbak and 2 bottles of Lucozade Sport on the way up and was still gasping Perhaps in hindsight I should have stayed off the booze the night before!

Had a pint to celebrate when we got to the bottom though!

Don't usually have a problem fitness wise with these sort of jaunts but ached for days after doing it. Not sure if it was due to de-hydration more than anything else. Been doing a fair bit of mountain biking in the days leading up to it too.
Old 19 April 2007, 09:49 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Take it easy for the first hour or so, a nice slow pace - this will give you energy for the steeper parts or if you get into trouble it will mean you have some energy reserves to help you. Dont forget the walk back down can be quite tiring and put quite a lot of strain on your ankles. Other than that have a good time - and dont forget your mobile!
Old 19 April 2007, 12:12 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Mates did the three peaks challenge a bit ago (Nevis, Scafell and Snowdon in 24 hours) and Nevis is by far the hardest because Fort William is already very high up. Expect snow on the top and poor visability and be careful up there because walking in the wrong direction leads to a big fall. The other two were very easy in comparison.

good luck.

5t.
Old 19 April 2007, 01:58 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fivetide
Nevis is by far the hardest because Fort William is already very high up.
Think you mean very low down Fort William is nearly at sea level. Climb starts at 40m above sea level ends at 1343m so 1303m of climbing
Old 19 April 2007, 02:07 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

BEN NEVIS! - any tips? yup the Top
Old 19 April 2007, 02:13 PM
richardg
Scooby Regular

make sure you take lots of pics when you get to the top. also, if you don;t have hand held gpd, make sure you remember exactly where you came from once you get to the top - very easy to lose your way if there is snow on the peak. there was snow there when i did it a couple of years ago in mid june

make sure you take lots of 10p's because the tea/coffee machine on the summit doesn't give change
Old 19 April 2007, 02:39 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by richardg
make sure you take lots of 10p's because the tea/coffee machine on the summit doesn't give change
Summit pub is better
Old 19 April 2007, 02:47 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

Sounds like you've got the right kit - but don't forget to put 15-20 miles in on your boots! in various conditions.
Old 19 April 2007, 02:54 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Compede for blisters!
Old 19 April 2007, 03:16 PM
little rick
Scooby Regular

Double check all your kit before you set off - one of our group forgot his food when we did it Jan resulting in 3 eating 2 peoples rations (ended up low on glucose and one of us got mild halucinations - very scary)

Don't take any risks - no matter how close you are to the top if its bad and you need to turn back then turn back (although you sound like you've got it sorted)

If you're not that fit start from the car park - the climb from the Hostel can be a tough start if you're not used to that sort of walking/climbing

Hope visibility is better for you than it was for us

Good luck and bring us back some pics

Lunch in the hut at the top is a must

Last edited by little rick; 19 April 2007 at 03:20 PM.
Old 19 April 2007, 06:08 PM
turboman786
Scooby Regular

Many thanks for all the tips guys!

I need to somehow break my boots in over the next 24 hours, lol, think ill struggle...

Anyway thanks for all the good wishes, Ill try post some pics upon my return!
Old 19 April 2007, 06:18 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

What type of boots are they?
Old 19 April 2007, 06:45 PM
turboman786
Scooby Regular

Karrimor KSB Boulder....

Im wearing them round the house now(!), will go for a couple mile walk ina bit, and will do a couple miles 2mrw in the morning......they actually already feel rather comfy!
Old 19 April 2007, 06:46 PM
turboman786
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
Compede for blisters!
1000miles socks....I'll soon find out if my tenner was well spent, or if Ive fallen victim to another marketing scam!!
Old 19 April 2007, 06:49 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Take some good pics while you are up there
Old 19 April 2007, 07:36 PM
little rick
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=turboman786;6850721]Karrimor KSB Boulder....
QUOTE]

Are they waterproof?

If not get yourself some sealskin socks
I dont use them myself (as my boots are goretex) but I know fell runners who swear by them

There's nothing worse than having wet feet
Old 19 April 2007, 07:43 PM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

In my younger and *much* fitter days (early 20's) I jogged the tourist path up Ben Nevis with a mate in shorts and trainers. Possibly a bit foolish in hindsight, but from memory the path was pretty good in most place and the ascent not that arduous. As long as you're reasonably fit I don't think you'll have any trouble.

Gary.

Quick Reply: BEN NEVIS! - any tips?