Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Child benefits

Search this Thread

Old 15 April 2007, 01:14 AM
Albert47
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Child benefits

My missis is due to give birth in 10 weeks.

I'm just in the process of checking what we are entitled to in the form of benefits.

We are both in full time employment and both of us earn a good wage. I know this effects what we are entitled to.

I have looked on the goverment web site but it not as clear as it could be.

So what are we entitled to??

I know of:
Child benefit
Child tax credits
Working tax credits
Standard tax credits

Are we entitled to working tax credits as well as child tax credits?
What is the standard tax credits?
Can we get more help with child care once the missis starts back work after mat leave?

Ive checked the goverment web site and know exactly where it is. Im just after advice/previous experiences and any tips and tricks off you guys before i start filling in forms and contacting the different depts.

Thanks
Adam
Old 15 April 2007, 01:47 AM
bootsy
Scooby Regular

Location: Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless. Like water.

ring H.M.revenue & customs when the baby's born.i had to ring up 3 time and got told 3 different thing but got there in the end.
Old 15 April 2007, 02:53 AM
Albert47
Scooby Regular

what did you get in the end?

I dont wanna call anybody yet untill the is baby is born, I just wanna know what people are getting or have an idea before i need to fill forms, call people etc

Thanks
Old 15 April 2007, 08:20 AM
druddle
Scooby Regular

When you register the babys birth you will get sent the CTF voucher for 250 quid and child benefit will start. All depending on your income, job status, etc, will dictate what else you are entitled to.

Dave
Old 15 April 2007, 09:07 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Working tax credits applicable depending on your definition of a good wage.

Standard tax credits depends on your definition of a good wage and how long you use child care.
Old 15 April 2007, 09:17 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

This might help Congratulations about the baby btw

HM Revenue & Customs: Home Page
Old 15 April 2007, 09:23 AM
mark engers
BANNED

Here's a thought... why not bring up your child without burdening the tax paying public?
Old 15 April 2007, 10:21 AM
Mitchy260
Scooby Regular

Albert is your missus going back to work full time after maternity leave? Who will look after kiddy? Childcare?

Im in the same boat, earn around £60k between us both at the moment but she will only be going back to part time afterwards (Sat/Sun/Wed) meaning income will drop to around £45k.

When your used to an income of that £££, and your mortgage and outgoings depend on that money, then dropping your partners wage is going to be a real struggle. Im worried to bits over it but im sure we'll manage.

I do believe your tax code will be changed and you'll save about £550 a year on tax. You'll get the usual child support. £17.50 per week.

Not sure what else your entitled to though, i think you'll probably be earning to much to get working tax credits. (Something low like 16k)
Old 15 April 2007, 10:33 AM
powerman1
Scooby Regular

have you not got any neighbours who are immigrants..they should be able to tell you whats available.
Old 15 April 2007, 11:20 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

If you have a child, Flash won't be able to handout cash to you quickly enough. Sod the pensioners and the others who created the wealth of this country!

Les
Old 15 April 2007, 12:05 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
If you have a child, Flash won't be able to handout cash to you quickly enough. Sod the pensioners and the others who created the wealth of this country!

Les

Very true. My old man tried to claim care allowance for looking after Mum who cant walk far, cant get into or out of bath on her own etc etc.

On the other hand my daughters friend who earns £100/week part time,who's parents own their own house and earn 30k between them gets £30 for going to sixth form.

Chip
Old 15 April 2007, 06:20 PM
Albert47
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info guys,

Mitchy, I think we are in the same boat!! We earn about the same between us. My missis will be starting back full time after her 9 months Mat leave.
So the money isnt an issue.

We all may as well collect exactly what we are entitled to, my missis and I pay enough tax between us from our working wages and have done for the last 11 working years. I feel its about time we had something back. Having kids is good for the economy!!! I totally agreed with bravo2zero's comment!!! "you pay your tax you get it back in certain cases" ie child benefit.

Any money is better in our pockets than the goverments.

Cheers again Adam

Last edited by Albert47; 15 April 2007 at 06:25 PM.
Old 15 April 2007, 06:53 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Just think, if New Labour win the next election we'll probably all be better off staying at home and claiming benefits than working with the silly amounts that ppl are allowed to claim these days.

Chip
Old 15 April 2007, 10:14 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Oh yes, forgot to say about childcare vouchers form your employer (if they do them).

Dave
Old 15 April 2007, 10:53 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
Here is another thought: How about getting what you are entitled to by paying your taxes and getting back from the system what it pays out for certain circumstances. i.e. you have a child you get child benefit. Quite simple really
I would say claim all that you can, for as long as you can. They use every rule they can to take as much tax from you as they can, then make the system to claim hard, slow, and inefficient. Play their game and win.

You've damn well paid for it, that's for sure
Old 15 April 2007, 10:57 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just thought I'd mention I have 3 kids....... 2, 9 and 11 and the state gives me nothing. Child benefit goes to the mother

Midlife.....
Old 15 April 2007, 11:14 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

as the above but mate if u got a few grand spare

baby will get near 70 quid a month plus that 250 that will be saved till their older

i got 3 kids so thats near 210 a month child benefit

im gonna get them all a 100k modern 1 or 2 bedroom flat

put some deposit doon for them and that child benefit will help pay the mortgage a month and when their 16 yrs old God willing they can sell it and get on wae life or invest their money in business

dae that if u can, if u have kids u want tae save up for their marriages when they r older tae

lol maybe coz im fae an asian background i have that mentality but nothing wrong wae thinking better for yer kids if God gives them life tae get that old ameen
Old 16 April 2007, 08:55 AM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip
Very true. My old man tried to claim care allowance for looking after Mum who cant walk far, cant get into or out of bath on her own etc etc.

Chip
did he get it? with some benefits, you're nearly always turned down first time, so appeal.
also, your mum may be entitled to Attendance Allowance, which is (bizarley) to pay for care, even if you don't get it. this can also lead to other things, such as council tax discounts. Once care / disability comes into it, there's quite a lot available for older people. You local council will have a Benefits Advice team who can advice, and make the applications for you (I sit opposite our team, and overhear conversations you just don't want to hear!)

FWIW to those who think parents shouldn't be entitled to anything, our income dropped by 60% when we had our sprog, and as she's disabled, my wife can't return to work, as she has to take her for regular checks / tests. We've had to adjust to a huge decrease we didn't expect, so I'm not going to feel guilt about getting £30 a week or whatever it is.
Old 16 April 2007, 11:38 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I dont blame Albert 47 or anyone else for claiming if they are eligible. The point I was making about the fact that they do their best to avoid paying out to desperately needy pensioners by making the forms so difficult for them to fill in and not telling them what precisely what they are entitled to.

It used to be quite normal of course for the husband to earn the money and the wife/mother to look after the children with very little child allowance either. Not surprising that it is a shock to the system if the wife has to stop working as well.

Les
Old 17 April 2007, 01:51 PM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
I dont blame Albert 47 or anyone else for claiming if they are eligible. The point I was making about the fact that they do their best to avoid paying out to desperately needy pensioners by making the forms so difficult for them to fill in and not telling them what precisely what they are entitled to.

It used to be quite normal of course for the husband to earn the money and the wife/mother to look after the children with very little child allowance either. Not surprising that it is a shock to the system if the wife has to stop working as well.

Les
you're right, but there is help available for pensioners to complete the forms, either through the council, or the likes of Age Concern.

The muppets messed up our child tax credits 2 years on the trot, so we're supposed to pay them back now. Yeah, that'll happen...

I got my Grandad Pension Credits when I discovered he was paying council tax, and just had the £70-odd state pention. The government says you should have a set minimum amount to live off (just over £100/wk I think), and Pension Credits make up the difference. They could of course just put pensions up, but then everyone would get it, this way they know full well many won't claim for it, so it costs them less.
Old 17 April 2007, 03:18 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pwhittle
you're right, but there is help available for pensioners to complete the forms, either through the council, or the likes of Age Concern.

The muppets messed up our child tax credits 2 years on the trot, so we're supposed to pay them back now. Yeah, that'll happen...

I got my Grandad Pension Credits when I discovered he was paying council tax, and just had the £70-odd state pention. The government says you should have a set minimum amount to live off (just over £100/wk I think), and Pension Credits make up the difference. They could of course just put pensions up, but then everyone would get it, this way they know full well many won't claim for it, so it costs them less.
Yes that's quite right and that was the point I was trying to make. Many OAP's are too proud to ask for what they consider to be charity too. It should all be laid out in easy to read terms exactly what they are entitled to but it is deliberately made more difficult to put the pensioners off from doing it. Very sneaky and dishonest of the authorities.

Les
Old 17 April 2007, 03:34 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by druddle
Oh yes, forgot to say about childcare vouchers form your employer (if they do them).

Dave
And you can *both* get them. Obviously worth more as a higher taxpayer, but nevertheless any possible saving is welcome considering childcare costs .

S