Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

About to order a Panasonic TH-50PX70 - few AV geeky questions!

Search this Thread

Old 14 April 2007, 09:55 PM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

Location: I have ad blocked my rep - so dont waste your time!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to order a Panasonic TH-50PX70 - few AV geeky questions!

TH-50PX70 - good TV? Seen it for about £1300 and seems better than saving £300 and getting the outgoing model?

Assuming its a cool Tv...few questions:

I will feed it with - sky+ (Sky HD maybe later), XBOX 360 and a £99 DVD from asda.

I assume the xbox is cool - will a sky + signal be ok? and is a better DVD worth it and is an HD DVD even better still? (watch very DVD's so dont fancy big outlay on a DVD payer if i dont need it.

and - i have about £600-£1000 left over - what sound setup should i get? Nothing to geeky please, i assume a good amp and decent speaker package and i'm sorted? (worth getting a "surround sound" system with a new DVD built in?)

leads - i assume the Sky + uses scart, as will the DVD and the Xbox uses HDMI and they all go into the amp via coax or optical...that right?
Old 14 April 2007, 10:54 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Snug Rhino
TH-50PX70 - good TV? Seen it for about £1300 and seems better than saving £300 and getting the outgoing model?

Assuming its a cool Tv...few questions:

I will feed it with - sky+ (Sky HD maybe later), XBOX 360 and a £99 DVD from asda.

I assume the xbox is cool - will a sky + signal be ok? and is a better DVD worth it and is an HD DVD even better still? (watch very DVD's so dont fancy big outlay on a DVD payer if i dont need it.

and - i have about £600-£1000 left over - what sound setup should i get? Nothing to geeky please, i assume a good amp and decent speaker package and i'm sorted? (worth getting a "surround sound" system with a new DVD built in?)

leads - i assume the Sky + uses scart, as will the DVD and the Xbox uses HDMI and they all go into the amp via coax or optical...that right?

You obviously haven't done much research. Do a search!

Thats the response I got when I asked a similar q on avforums!!

Have you had the MRI?
Old 14 April 2007, 11:26 PM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

MRI done this morning - £218!!!
Old 15 April 2007, 08:41 AM
P1Drifter
Scooby Regular

good choice of tv, the sky signal varies from channel to channel due to the fact the compress the hell out a lot of the feeds so some look great others not so, nothing you can do about that. Hook it up with a fully wired RGB scart. Unless your going to buy the 'elite' 360 you wont have hdmi, so hook that up via the VGA socket. As for the DVD use component cables for that, you will get a better picture if you get a better player but if you dont watch that many dvds i wouldnt bother. HDDVD/Blueray are good but to be honest not worth the price premium at the moment espescially as you say you dont watch that many films. As for an AV Reciever/Amp if you dont watch that many movies etc i wouldnt spend too much on this, Yamaha and Denon do decent entry level systems, some with the small satellite (spelling?) speakers which arnt amazing tbh but will probably be fine for your needs and well within your budget (will sound 100 times better than the tv speakers tho) plus you can always upgrade later.
Old 15 April 2007, 12:43 PM
Minitrue
BANNED

Location: The Ministry of Truth. War is Peace: Freedom is Slavery: Ignorance is Strength

MRI done this morning - £218!!!
Were they having a coupon day?
Old 15 April 2007, 05:59 PM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by P1Drifter
good choice of tv, the sky signal varies from channel to channel due to the fact the compress the hell out a lot of the feeds so some look great others not so, nothing you can do about that. Hook it up with a fully wired RGB scart. Unless your going to buy the 'elite' 360 you wont have hdmi, so hook that up via the VGA socket. As for the DVD use component cables for that, you will get a better picture if you get a better player but if you dont watch that many dvds i wouldnt bother. HDDVD/Blueray are good but to be honest not worth the price premium at the moment espescially as you say you dont watch that many films. As for an AV Reciever/Amp if you dont watch that many movies etc i wouldnt spend too much on this, Yamaha and Denon do decent entry level systems, some with the small satellite (spelling?) speakers which arnt amazing tbh but will probably be fine for your needs and well within your budget (will sound 100 times better than the tv speakers tho) plus you can always upgrade later.
so would i be best off getting something like this -Panasonic UK - SC-RT70EB-S Systems for £400 or should i spend more and get entry level seperates?

also - do i need hdmi output on the dvd/amp...if not what will plug into the plasma via hdmi? nothing it seems? (untill i get Sky HD)
Old 15 April 2007, 06:16 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by P1Drifter
Are you sure this tv doesn't have hdmi inputs? The 42'' TH PX70 has two.
Old 15 April 2007, 06:31 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

for reference, here's the piccy I did for Deep , but the kit is all pretty much the same

Based around a Sky HD box, but you get the idea

The Xbox will plug into the amp using Component (if I were you), & the audio output is via optical (another lead to buy!) - again, from the amp, you can see where it can go

Personally, I would always go "separates" as you get better value for money

I've got a pretty decent Yamaha amp (about £600) - speakers, well, this is a minefield(!) but your best bet is to get Richer Sounds' listening room. You can book it and spec the kit you want to hear

Hope this helps, but gimme a shout if you need more
Old 15 April 2007, 07:09 PM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

so the xbox plugs into the amp via component and optical, the DVD i get will have an HDMI out, the sky HD uses HDMI (i assume the sky + in the meantime just uses...componet?)

So i have everything going into the amp then a single HDMI from amp to TV - is that right?

in other words having 2 hdmi ports on the TV is twice what i need (not that it matters) and i need to get an amp with twin HDMI inputs.

So is the only lead going to the plasma the power lead and the hdmi from the amp? in otherwords - i dont need to mount all my gear under the screen - it could be off to one side?

I assume that means the amp is on 24/7 if everything is feed through it?
Old 15 April 2007, 07:23 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

so the xbox plugs into the amp via component and optical, the DVD i get will have an HDMI out, the sky HD uses HDMI (i assume the sky + in the meantime just uses...componet?)
You'll probably need a Scart to Composite output (IIRC, Sky+ isn't component out)

So i have everything going into the amp then a single HDMI from amp to TV - is that right?
Yep

in other words having 2 hdmi ports on the TV is twice what i need (not that it matters) and i need to get an amp with twin HDMI inputs.
Correct, but it's always nice to have

So is the only lead going to the plasma the power lead and the hdmi from the amp? in otherwords - i dont need to mount all my gear under the screen - it could be off to one side?
Yep - that's what I've done

I assume that means the amp is on 24/7 if everything is feed through it?
When running, the amp is on 24/7, as it's the hub of your setup

Hope this helps

Dan
Old 15 April 2007, 08:09 PM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

cooool....so TV and centre spreaker can go where its best located and xbox, amp, dvd, sub can live in the corner where all the wall sockets are!

With a budget of £600-1000 am i better to go sperates for the sound system?
Old 15 April 2007, 08:16 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

oooooooohhhhhhhhh yeh - seperates all the way

Dan
Old 15 April 2007, 09:24 PM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

any obvious ones to get or just pick based on budget?
Old 15 April 2007, 10:01 PM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

Denon AVR-2307 Receiver getting that - just need some speakers now!
Old 15 April 2007, 11:47 PM
P1Drifter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Deep Singh
Are you sure this tv doesn't have hdmi inputs? The 42'' TH PX70 has two.
the tv does the 360 dosnt
Old 16 April 2007, 08:13 AM
P1Drifter
Scooby Regular

[quote=ScoobyDoo555;6838547]You'll probably need a Scart to Composite output (IIRC, Sky+ isn't component out)

Dont hook it up with a composite output, picture will be terrible, use a semi decent, fully wired RGB scart straight into the back of the tv.
Old 16 April 2007, 08:36 AM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

but if i want to go via the amp so i have the single hdmi cable from amp to screen what then? i assume there is not going to be a scart input on the amp?
Old 16 April 2007, 10:53 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

use Scart to S-video to the back of the amp.

Yeh, my mistake - composite IS sh1te

DAn