Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

'Owned'

Search this Thread

Old 06 April 2007, 08:52 AM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 'Owned'

Is it just me or has this become one of the most annoying misuses of English at the moment.

'Kid gets owned'

What, like captured into slavery?
Old 06 April 2007, 09:14 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

It is a strange misuse of the word, but its a lot better than the alternative expression that I have seen floating around. There is very little language use that offends me, but if you lose at an online game and someone says they "raped you" I personally find offensive.

Fortunately there appears to be finally some tightening of the rules for the online games I have being playing, and that is slowly getting filtered out.
Old 06 April 2007, 09:47 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

right down there with the term "merc'd"

Street-slang?
Old 06 April 2007, 09:50 AM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

Raped! What type of game are you playing 'The Sims go Ghetto'

Owned and raped, great we're back to the Roman era.. What's next I wonder
Old 06 April 2007, 09:51 AM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

What's Merc'd? never heard that one before..
Old 06 April 2007, 10:00 AM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I never thought about it before but 'owned' must have originated with slavery. Oh dear!
Old 06 April 2007, 10:01 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

I think we should be asking Mr Rio Ferdinand.......

Originally Posted by RB5_245
What's Merc'd? never heard that one before..
Old 06 April 2007, 10:22 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not as annoying as 'Can I get' when ordering something in a shop or cafe.

Or the equally risible 'My Bad'
Old 06 April 2007, 10:35 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

"Dude, you got pwned!"

Bet you hate it even more when written in "L33t Sp34k"

Old 06 April 2007, 10:37 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

The game is EVE Online... right now there is a "rape train" of Northern Coalition pilots trying to "own" BOB, but are actually getting "raped".

I left the game recently...
Old 06 April 2007, 10:40 AM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

So Bob the slave is a rapist? Odd that anyone would want to own him
Old 06 April 2007, 10:47 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

BOB - Band of Brothers are a collection of some of the best and most serious players in the game. They are knocking the stuffing out of those who are trying to kill them.

Its not a game to BOB, its more like life. The amount of commitment that is needed to do well in the later stages of the game is just silly. Getting up in the middle of the night to attack and enemy base when their strength is lower is just one example. Not to mention the compulsory face to face annual meeting for all those who are higher ranked. That means travelling to the USA...
Old 06 April 2007, 10:58 AM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

That's a bit excessive!

Is this a fully online thing, like attacking real other players bases while they're not online or something?

Other that Rape, Slavery and travelling to america just to be in the club it sounds quite fun
Old 06 April 2007, 11:25 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

EVE Online is a perpetual massively multiplayer online game. Its one of the best as it has the most depth. The problem with that depth is both time and commitment.

The game allows you to fly around and do stuff, then dock in stations that cannot be taken over. Therefore all your things are safe.

But the real end goal of the game is to go out into no security space and build stations and defenses. These can be overrun by other players, but take a couple of days to overrun. The basic cost of one of these stations is around 1000 man hours (the amount of time people will need to play to get the money and materials to get one).

The only way to achieve these goals are to team up with other people. You make friends and form alliances, and allegiances with other alliances.

War is inevitable, and with many months/years of your time invested in building up your empire, when someone comes along to squash it tensions can be high.

Top level gaming, which is where all the cool stuff is, involves this kind of gaming. When war comes to your door people stop at nothing. I've not seen any moral or legal electronic bounds that people will not cross in order to win or simply survive one of these wars. Your opponents will be using dirty tactics, and therefore you are almost forced to yourself.

We are talking about out of game websites with security for communications and data. Tools to record all sorts of intel about other players, the times that they play, their ISPs etc. Hacking other peoples forums, accounts, teamspeak servers, denial of service attacks against key players (fleet commanders).

Spying is a major thing. You make (and pay for) a fake alternative account(s) and place them in rival alliances pretending to be on their side. You steal, cheat and disrupt their activities at the most opportune times. Then sell the account, and buy a replacement to do the same thing all over again.

I quit as I just could not a find a way to play for only a couple hrs a day and have fun. You just have to be more active than that

I'm rambling I know, but I'm bored...

Last week there was a major high stakes battle. Was about 2000 players v 1000. Took all week to organise, meaning playing for hours moving crap to be ready for the attack. Then on "the night", ppl logged in for the right time to strike, waited for 4-5 hrs, then did stuff for a few minutes. Many people lost assets that will take them well over 100 hrs of playtime to replace, just to do the same thing all over again

Unless you splash the cash and buy (real money) highly placed characters with unique items (T2 BPOs) to generate an online in game business selling stuff to make an income. People actually really have out of game business sites selling this stuff, with in game employees (real people) who are tasked to deliver and make stuff....madness
Old 06 April 2007, 11:27 AM
G-STAR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo555
right down there with the term "merc'd"
Brap! Brap!
Old 06 April 2007, 12:02 PM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
EVE Online is a perpetual massively multiplayer online game. Its one of the best as it has the most depth. The problem with that depth is both time and commitment.

The game allows you to fly around and do stuff, then dock in stations that cannot be taken over. Therefore all your things are safe.

But the real end goal of the game is to go out into no security space and build stations and defenses. These can be overrun by other players, but take a couple of days to overrun. The basic cost of one of these stations is around 1000 man hours (the amount of time people will need to play to get the money and materials to get one).

The only way to achieve these goals are to team up with other people. You make friends and form alliances, and allegiances with other alliances.

War is inevitable, and with many months/years of your time invested in building up your empire, when someone comes along to squash it tensions can be high.

Top level gaming, which is where all the cool stuff is, involves this kind of gaming. When war comes to your door people stop at nothing. I've not seen any moral or legal electronic bounds that people will not cross in order to win or simply survive one of these wars. Your opponents will be using dirty tactics, and therefore you are almost forced to yourself.

We are talking about out of game websites with security for communications and data. Tools to record all sorts of intel about other players, the times that they play, their ISPs etc. Hacking other peoples forums, accounts, teamspeak servers, denial of service attacks against key players (fleet commanders).

Spying is a major thing. You make (and pay for) a fake alternative account(s) and place them in rival alliances pretending to be on their side. You steal, cheat and disrupt their activities at the most opportune times. Then sell the account, and buy a replacement to do the same thing all over again.

I quit as I just could not a find a way to play for only a couple hrs a day and have fun. You just have to be more active than that

Last week there was a major high stakes battle. Was about 2000 players v 1000. Took all week to organise, meaning playing for hours moving crap to be ready for the attack. Then on "the night", ppl logged in for the right time to strike, waited for 4-5 hrs, then did stuff for a few minutes. Many people lost assets that will take them well over 100 hrs of playtime to replace, just to do the same thing all over again

Unless you splash the cash and buy (real money) highly placed characters with unique items (T2 BPOs) to generate an online in game business selling stuff to make an income. People actually really have out of game business sites selling this stuff, with in game employees (real people) who are tasked to deliver and make stuff....madness
Bloody hell...I thought end game raiding in EverQuest was serious, but it's nothing compared to this.
Old 06 April 2007, 12:14 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Another classy one (which I actually like) is "served"

When someone gets beaten badly at something e.g. a play stattion game or whatever they "just got served, something b ad"
Old 06 April 2007, 01:12 PM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

Location: I have ad blocked my rep - so dont waste your time!

One assumes that while they understand "owned" they probably don't know where a clitoris is?
Old 06 April 2007, 01:22 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Eve isn't really a game you should be so sensitive in. Prehaps WoW is more to your gentile nature! Bet you get upset when some little 'ceptor comes and jams the **** out of your BS don't you?

And I for one hope BoB will eventually get anally raped, owned, griefed, nerfed and every other 'unpleasent' word I can think of

Not that it really matters much to me because our corps is making a fortune selling carriers to anyone who can afford them at the moment!

Yes, Eve can get a little all consuming if you allow it, depends how involved you get in the politics of the game; I'm most certainly classed as a 'casual' player and I have two accounts.

Last edited by Prasius; 06 April 2007 at 01:24 PM.
Old 06 April 2007, 01:25 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Snug Rhino
One assumes that while they understand "owned" they probably don't know where a clitoris is?

Lumious, I had no idea such a thing existed!

I'm off to google it now (and hopefully not get gang raped by a bunch of slaves at the time). In fact I think I'll just lock the front door first
Old 06 April 2007, 01:29 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Last week there was a major high stakes battle. Was about 2000 players v 1000. Took all week to organise, meaning playing for hours moving crap to be ready for the attack. Then on "the night", ppl logged in for the right time to strike, waited for 4-5 hrs, then did stuff for a few minutes....
.. and the server lagged so badly everyone was podded but no-one actually knew who started shooting first
Old 06 April 2007, 01:40 PM
ScoobyDriverWannabe
Scooby Regular

the downside of online gaming. So much racism about in it aswell. I play allot of Counter Strike, seems like every other kill some 1 comes out with a abuse term involving the N word. Annoys me only a game no need for it.

Old 06 April 2007, 01:51 PM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

Not heard any of those being used up here in Edinburgh.... Unless Si, Kenny or Ricky have heard 'em?

Theres nothing wrong with good old fashioned sweary words
Old 06 April 2007, 01:54 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say owned in that context, I thought it was an internet thing
Old 06 April 2007, 02:13 PM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RB5_245
I don't think I've ever heard anyone say owned in that context, I thought it was an internet thing
Or should that be pwned?
Old 06 April 2007, 04:44 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Prasius
Eve isn't really a game you should be so sensitive in. Prehaps WoW is more to your gentile nature! Bet you get upset when some little 'ceptor comes and jams the **** out of your BS don't you?

And I for one hope BoB will eventually get anally raped, owned, griefed, nerfed and every other 'unpleasent' word I can think of

Not that it really matters much to me because our corps is making a fortune selling carriers to anyone who can afford them at the moment!

Yes, Eve can get a little all consuming if you allow it, depends how involved you get in the politics of the game; I'm most certainly classed as a 'casual' player and I have two accounts.
I got over my sensitivity with time. For me the issues are logistics and time. I like medium scale pvp, which means have co-ordinted fleets with complimentary setups. Hauling all the stuff about is not fun, and waiting for hours to get a fight I don't find fun either. Either your force is too weak to engage, or too strong. Either way the fight does not happen.

As for a ceptor jamming my bs Only one ceptor has lived while engaging my bs, and thats cos I hit all the right buttons, but in the wrong order I hit warp, then smartbombs....meant all the damage from my 6 faction smartbombs was discounted. Looked good though, and sure as hell woke up the ceptor pilot

EVE simply took up too much time doing stuff I did not like. Making stuff, mining, hauling, planning logistics was no fun. 40 jump trips in 0.0 to deliver stuff was just too tedious, even if using carriers. I may try WoW, my 3 accounts are parked atm.

Oh, long live BOB

Last edited by Luminous; 06 April 2007 at 04:47 PM.
Old 06 April 2007, 06:37 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by eClaire
Or should that be pwned?

Originally Posted by EddScott
"Dude, you got pwned!"

Yes it should

Anyone seen the WoW South Park - roxxor

Eve sounds awesome IMO. I'd love to start WoW but just haven't got the playing time. I only get about 4 hours a week total gaming time.
Old 06 April 2007, 06:48 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Southpark WoW is funny as hell.

I'm pretty sure everyones teamspeak channels sound like that though!

If your "of a certain age" and liked Elite - you'd love Eve. It does require a certain amount of dedication, which I haven't actually been able to put in of late due to RL issues. The average age of players is also a fair bit older than most MMOs - however, some players are pretty extreme in their dedication to the game.
Old 06 April 2007, 06:53 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

If you have the cash, and can cope with the gambling nature of this particular MMO, Project Entropia is a good place to be.

Average ages there are the highest, due to the cost of the game. There is no subscription, but the ingame currency is linked to the real world currency. You therefore use real life cash to buy in game items (which you can sell if you leave). A put a few hundred quid into that game, and made a few hundred too. I just did not like the gambling nature of the game.
Old 06 April 2007, 07:02 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

Originally Posted by The Snug Rhino

It's that funny symbol button between Ctrl and Alt.

Never used it myself...

Quick Reply: 'Owned'