Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Tool Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 26 March 2007, 12:28 PM
Shane
Scooby Regular

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Question Tool Insurance

Thats the tools that you put in a tool box and not the one you keep in your trousers (who could put a price on that).

I just wondered if people insured theirs seperately or just hoped they would be covered by their contents insurance. Most policies seem to have a single item limit of about £1500 and although no individual item is worth that if someone was to steal my entire cabinet with the tools in it I would probably struggle to replace them for £1500. Has anybody else looked into this? Any advice appreciated from people in the insurance industry or from people who have been unlucky enough to have had their stuff nicked from their garage, shed, workshop etc.

Shane
Old 26 March 2007, 12:52 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never considered insuring my tool until now, but you've got me thinking...
Old 26 March 2007, 12:58 PM
ScoobyDriverWannabe
Scooby Regular

Me dad had rather a extensive collection of tools he liberated from the store rooms at work before the pit shut down.

He had to name them on the home insurance policy, dont think it cost anything extra just had to let them know.

Same with our fishing equiptment.
Old 26 March 2007, 01:28 PM
bobsabuilder
Scooby Regular

I got tools cover included with my public liability insurance as it was only 15 quid a year extra

Single tool limit is £2K with a max of £25k in any one claim.
Excludes tools left in vehicles overnight though, so I sometimes leave them on the site if I'm working there more than one day!

Bob
Old 27 March 2007, 08:00 AM
Shane
Scooby Regular

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Cheers for your replies. Looks like I should be ok on my contents insurance although I'm sure they will probably try to argue the toss if I ever had to claim.

Shane
Old 27 March 2007, 09:21 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bobsabuilder
I got tools cover included with my public liability insurance as it was only 15 quid a year extra

Single tool limit is £2K with a max of £25k in any one claim.
Excludes tools left in vehicles overnight though, so I sometimes leave them on the site if I'm working there more than one day!

Bob
That's what i used to do

They are back listed on the Contents insurance like SDW's Dad now though, as I no longer work for myself, and hence don't have the PL.

I learned this one the hard way a long time ago when my folks shed got burgled, most of my tools and my MTB were part of the haul There was a lot of argy bargy from the insurance company before I got about 2/3 of the replacement value out of them
The real pain in the *** of it is, when you're doing one of those once in a blue moon jobs that you made special tools for, and you realise that you no longer possess said tools