Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Parking Problems

Search this Thread

Old 26 March 2007, 08:41 AM
michaelro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking Problems

Parking has gradually got worse on and around my road.

The house on the corner or the adjoining road runs a business and always has at least 3 vans parking on our road or directly on the corner.

This makes parking very difficult and pulling out very dangerous.

Is it worth me contacting the council - Will they actually do anything? (zoning laws / Double yellow lines on the corner)

Anybody had anything similar and done anything about it?
Old 26 March 2007, 08:44 AM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Have you tried talking to the neighbours first?
Old 26 March 2007, 08:45 AM
Sti_Prodrive
Scooby Regular

Location: LONDON MANDEM - At Da V-Power Petty Station Fillin Up
i know what u mean... we have the same problem in east london mate !!!! its a real pain up da A$$ !!!!
Old 26 March 2007, 09:12 AM
michaelro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fitzscoob
Have you tried talking to the neighbours first?
Not really sure I see the point.

If it's something you might not be aware of then fine.

Parking up to 5 Sprinter type vans on a residential road and blocking visibility is pretty obviously going to upset the neighbours and shouldn't need a chat from me...
Old 26 March 2007, 09:14 AM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Fair enough, but its probably better to try and get this solved amicably before you get the council involved.

He might be aware its an inconvinience, but waiting for someone to talk to him about it before he sorts it out.
Old 26 March 2007, 09:16 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

If it's a public parking zone and he pays road tax for his vans then he can park where he likes, it may annoy you, but he's doing nothing illegal

"Excuse me white van operator, can you move your vans as they make our road look common"........ and his answer would be .......
Old 26 March 2007, 09:34 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

if its on the corner then there is an issue. Vehicles have to be a certain distance away from a corner, cannot remember exactly what it is but think it may be 25 feet
Old 26 March 2007, 09:37 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Can't see any reference to snobby locals though , as said, the highway code is used as guidance rather than prescriptive law.
Old 26 March 2007, 10:56 AM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

Is he actually running a business from his house - if so there may be restrictive covenants preventing that. Although they could just prevent things like keeping pigs in your garden!
Old 26 March 2007, 11:00 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

I think there are some restrictions on parking commercial vehicles on residential streets/ property.

There is someone on our estate that liked to park a school minibus (and old knackered rusty one) at the side of the road. Its a tranist van, so not that large, but ugly and in the way. People talked with him to no avail. Then the solicitor who lived on our estate pulled out some law regarding the parking of commercial vehicles on residential land and we have not seen him since.
Old 26 March 2007, 11:40 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Luminous
Then the solicitor who lived on our estate pulled out some law regarding the parking of commercial vehicles on residential land and we have not seen him since.
Who..... the solicitor?? do you think the old codger did him in?
Old 26 March 2007, 01:02 PM
michaelro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
If it's a public parking zone and he pays road tax for his vans then he can park where he likes, it may annoy you, but he's doing nothing illegal

"Excuse me white van operator, can you move your vans as they make our road look common"........ and his answer would be .......
Cheeky sod

I more concerned with the lack of parking than how it makes the area look.
Old 26 March 2007, 01:16 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The covenants attached to the properties where I live forbid parking of commercial vehicles here. What is there to stop someone leaving an HGV otherwise?
Old 26 March 2007, 01:40 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by michaelro
Cheeky sod
That's what the 'C' stands for in DCI, not '****' as most assume
Old 27 March 2007, 12:46 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Might be worth starting by writing a polite letter to the bloke pointing out the inconvenience he is causing. You could take it from there depending on the reaction.

DCI, Would that be" Doolally Cheeky Individual" then?

Les
Old 27 March 2007, 12:55 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
Can't see any reference to snobby locals though , as said, the highway code is used as guidance rather than prescriptive law.
Actually it covers both. Items marked with a red "MUST" are laws.
Old 27 March 2007, 12:58 PM
little rick
Scooby Regular

I'd avoid the whole council route - if they did do anything, such as double yellows all it will do cause a bigger problem by having less room to park, then you end up with the van outside your front door - right near a junction is a bit daft though
You never know if you talk to him and you're good with him about it 'excuse me mate but.......' rather than anything that seems like you're having a moan he might be ok and just move them
Old 27 March 2007, 01:33 PM
michaelro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by little rick
I'd avoid the whole council route - if they did do anything, such as double yellows all it will do cause a bigger problem by having less room to park
I did think that.
But having several near misses while pulling out of my road makes me think I'd rather have the double yellows.

Spoke to someone at the council - They come out and assess if its a problem and not just someone complaining for no reason.

It can then take upto several months and a cost of several thousand pounds to paint lines on the road...

Wonder where my council tax is being spent
Old 27 March 2007, 02:35 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

bloody parking

last week i came into work to see a small black MGB GT dumped down the end of the carwash, very strange, came in and checked the diary as sometimes punters drop the car off early and post the keys.

car low on tax

nothing booked in

checked the CCTV to see the car pull up at 6ish am, bloke parks up, gets out and gets into somebody's 4x4

the car was there for another 2 days blocking one of my vacuum bunkers, hence i was down on commission for the 2 days, this pissed me off, so i rang the police, full aware they could next to nothing about it, but the door lock looked a bit iffy so i played the "it might be nicked" role

within 1 hour some bloke arrived in a taxi, jumped in it, and dumped it next door in the used car lot car park PMSL

where it stayed for a day, before they did the same and some bloke arrived to take it somewhere else.
Old 27 March 2007, 03:25 PM
JamieMacdonald
Scooby Regular

The council should sort it out.

Someone who lived down my parents lane kept parking their van on the road outside their house (they had a double driveway too), right next to a (nasty) junction of the main road. This meant that people had to approch the junction with the main road on the wrong side of the lane, so anyone turning left into the lane (blind) would meet them head on.

My Dad rang the council and within a few weeks a solid white line had been painted on each side of the lane prior to the junction.
Old 27 March 2007, 03:31 PM
Stephb1986
Scooby Regular

the council are a pain in the **** they are re doing the pavements in my area we asked if we could have the length of our garden as a dropped kerb as we're making it all into a drive way they said no can do, we have 2 vans and 2 cars one of the vans go on our singular driveway and the other van and 2 cars are parked on the side of the road but mounted on the pavement slightly because otherwise it would be stopping people getting past with cars its not easy to park vans anywhere. fair enough if he had the space as a driveway but other than that he will have to keep them where they are.