Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

any tips for selling on ebay pls?

Search this Thread

Old 24 March 2007, 12:59 PM
delcbr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any tips for selling on ebay pls?

hi i have a bunch of spare used bike parts which i want to sell through ebay.
ive never bought or sold anything through it so could do with some tips.
i want to avoid giving things away at rediculously low prices for example dont want to sell a pair of brand new brake pads for 99p so how do i stop that from happening?
and should i also include in each advert that this is advertised elswhere and i have the right to withdraw from sale at any time?
pls help a noobie.
p.s. whats a good size of photo to take for posting on ebay?
whats the deal with postage and packing do i have to go and get it weighed at post office 1st to get the price and should it be recorded delivery?
told you i was a noob

Last edited by delcbr; 24 March 2007 at 01:01 PM.
Old 24 March 2007, 01:58 PM
miff13
Scooby Regular

Make sure you list them properly with a good desciption and photo and put them in the right section (and be honest if they're looking a bit shabby say so), if they are worth more than £50 put a reserve on them but start them low (at 99p) as that will generate more interest and you'll get more bids. I get loads of bargains off ebay as people list things incorrectly and no one else finds them!

I've got some scales which I weight things on and get a price off the royal mail website before listing the item (I won't bid on an item that doesn't give a postage price), items worth up to £32 go by recorded (as they're insured up to that much) anything worth more goes special delivery insured up to the sale price, (If the buyer says they haven't received item you must prove it was sent by a trackable delivery method which recorded isn't), and don't overcharge for delivery as it will put people off (best to look what people are charging for similar items to make sure).

Get a paypal account and if people pay by this method only post to a "paypal verified" address (it will say on the payment notification whether address is verified).

I tend to say I reserve the right to end the auction early, not sure where you stand legally with that but I've never had a problem.

Sounds complicated but it isn't really and despite ebay and paypal's extortionate fees it's still well worth doing to get some cash for things that would otherwise just sit in your shed.

Good luck.

Matt
Old 24 March 2007, 02:03 PM
Proby521
Scooby Regular

Follow Matt's advice and you wont go far wrong. Best piece of advice is to buy some decent kitchen scales, check on royal mail website then to calculate your postage. Happy selling.

Proby
Old 28 March 2007, 12:54 PM
delcbr
Scooby Regular

cheers for your good advice.
Old 28 March 2007, 01:19 PM
2000 sport
Scooby Regular

what bike parts have you got ? anything good ?
Old 28 March 2007, 01:39 PM
clsbscooby
Scooby Regular

Wink

Don't tell them your home address if it's delivery meet them at your supermarket car park. you don't want them coming back to steal the rest of your parts!!!

Sorry to be cynical!!

Use paypal too.
Old 28 March 2007, 02:27 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I also try to either start and end on a Sunday. I think it helps get maximum viewing. Or list for 10 days start on Thursday so get a whole sunday and ends following sunday.

AND make sure you say payment within 2 days or something. Nothing worse than being fobbed off with I'll pay you at the end of the month.