Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

iPAQ sat-nav

Search this Thread

Old 11 December 2001, 09:57 PM
tklimes
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Whilst wandering around my local Dixons looking for Christmas present inspiration (OK - looking at the toys ) I noticed that they had a "Work Exclusive" for the Compaq iPAQ in-car satellite navigation system. Apparently, for £650 you get a full GPS sat-nav using your iPAQ (inc. voice instructions, post code search, etc.) or you can buy a bundle with the latest iPAQ for £999.

Has anyone tried this? Does it work (can you read the display on the move)? Or are you just better off saving up and getting a proper sat-nav system?

Old 11 December 2001, 10:38 PM
jimbob2
Scooby Regular

I saw this - a bit pricey mind.

Have a look at www.navman.com - they have a version for £299 - it contains all the relevant software for generating a map, but you have to run the map making software on your PC, then transfer it.

I'm probably getting a Navman after the Christmas expenditure madness had subsided - if you get one first, let me know

J
Old 12 December 2001, 06:45 AM
tklimes
Scooby Regular

The NAVMAN looks OK but seems to lack voice directions (absolutely vital if you don't want to keep looking at the screen - not a good idea when you are driving). It also does not have postcode search from what I could see on the web site. However, it is less than half the price of the Compaq system

Anyone actually using either system?

Tom

[Edited by tklimes - 12/12/2001 6:46:37 AM]
Old 12 December 2001, 08:03 AM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Thumbs up

I just bought this

It speaks to you and has mapping facility plus upgrade mapping via an installed cartridge.

Seems to be excellent and easy to move from car to boat to microlight to bedroom (to play) etc

see www.garmin.com

Beastie
Old 12 December 2001, 08:06 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
Beastie, that's the one I'd like. Mind telling how much?
Old 12 December 2001, 08:11 AM
tklimes
Scooby Regular

Looks good - where did you get it and how much was it?

Does it do post code search? Is it powered from the car or from batteries and how clear is the diplay on the move?

Tom
Old 12 December 2001, 09:43 AM
BoxerFlat4
Scooby Regular

I've been looking into the ipaq/sat nav system as well - £999 does seem expensive, but I suppose your getting the ipaq as well, which means you can do other stuff on it as well.

My problem is, I wish there was a combined sat nav/speed camera locator solution : the ipaq bundle could probably do this, but it's unlikely it would ever come about. I've been considering the Origin Blue I for the speed camera solution, but then you can't do route finding, and having 2 GPS devices in the car seems excessive.....

Trending Topics

Old 12 December 2001, 09:51 AM
Seamus
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

For full spec:

http://www.gpsw.co.uk/acatalog/P_GARSPIII.htm
Old 12 December 2001, 10:23 AM
BoxerFlat4
Scooby Regular

Seamus -

The Garmin seems a nice product, but with the price at £750, I'd seriously consider paying the extra for the IPAQ/SatNav combination.
Old 12 December 2001, 10:36 AM
BugEyed
Scooby Regular

Just to show my ignorance of things relating to PDAs , I wonder whether you can run more than one programme on them at once? If so, this may allow you to get both the Sat Nav and the "Safety Camera" warnings.

http://www.trafcam.com/

Anybody got experience of using this system?

Duncan

Old 12 December 2001, 01:22 PM
kryten
Scooby Regular

It does seem a little expensive (!), especially when you consider that it appears to actually be this unit that retails for $349 in the US. But then, what should we expect when someone signs an exclusive deal with Dixons!! Anti-competative, surely?!

I'm waiting for a response from the US company as I've asked them whether the US version can be upgraded to European maps for when I travel on holiday . I'll update with any response.

Teletype do a unit that's not quite as neat but is £379.

Various others about for about £250 but they don't have voice guidance.
Old 12 December 2001, 02:02 PM
Seamus
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hopefully it will just be a case of downloading the maps via some kind of media transfer, if thats the case then I am very interested. Ask them if they will discount for a group buy, I think you may get enough interest off of here.

Sean.

[Edited by Seamus - 12/12/2001 2:03:49 PM]
Old 12 December 2001, 02:40 PM
GEJL
Scooby Regular

Just hooked up my Palm V to a Magellan GPS Companion, and bought the trafcam s/w today. So I'll let you know if it works tomorrow!

The Magellan comes with basic navigation s/w, but it's lacking in detail, doesn't talk and is a bit tricky to see on the small screen. Not a replacement for a 'proper' system in a car, in my opinion. Good for checking where you are if you get lost, or homing in on a destination once you're nearby, perhaps. And also probably better use for walking/biking. Great toy, though, and you can cailbrate your speedo against its measure of speed.

Old 12 December 2001, 04:05 PM
gregh
Scooby Regular

The compaq solution is the only one that includes voice directions, the package also include a 128mb CF card which is where the maps are stored.

more info here http://www.compaq.co.uk/navigation

Could only get limited numbers before Xmas so hence the one route to market, I guess as volume goes up price will come down.

Apparently they are selling VERY well!

I saw one Monday in Compaq but didn't manage to get it installed onto my iPAQ!!

cheers,

greg
Old 14 December 2001, 10:39 AM
mccltd
Scooby Regular

My lovely other half has just bought me the 128 meg version of the Ipaq Navigation.
Trouble is she wont let me play with it till Christmas, so I will let you know what it's like then.
Old 14 December 2001, 01:41 PM
GEJL
Scooby Regular

BugEyed - got my TrafCam software working last night (didn't appear to like PalmOS 3.1 on a Palm V; works fine with v3.3 - though I think the problem was with the GPS...)

First impressions are that it's pretty good. It pointed out all the cameras that I know of on the way home, and also included a couple of sites where they quite often put white-van mobile cameras.

No real complaint to be honest. If you've got a Palm and were thinking of getting a GPS then it's worh getting I reckon. Cheaper than a Geodesy, and you get to use the Palm & GPS for mapping, navigation, even data logging of your route (looking forward to mapping my speed on the next circuit day...)

Old 14 December 2001, 02:32 PM
TRIGGER
Scooby Regular

I made a few calls to Travroute, Compaq etc and here's the deal:
Travroute use the Navman expansion jacket for their US version but use their own actual GPS device with their own software (Co-Pilot). This comes with US maps.
The Navman/Compaq version in UK has the Navman jacket AND GPS system (different to Travroutes version), but buys the Co-Pilot software from Travroute. This comes with UK maps.

The result is that both systems are mutually exclusive and the US maps dont work on the UK package and vice versa. You can only get UK maps therefore for the system - other European and possibly US maps may become available, but nobody can confirm this or give any dates.
It is only exclusive with Dixons until 2nd Jan, so then the market will open up I presume.

Just seems a bit restrictive unfortunately, eventhough I would love one !!
Old 15 December 2001, 10:17 PM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Cool

Sorry chaps Ive been away on business.
This is what I have to say so far:

The display is really clear as is the sound. It can do a postcode search but you have to enter a bit more information than just the post code i.e number and street. Post code and city are optional.The unit is supplied from the cigarette lighter of the car. The aerial can be relocated using an accessory lead. The speaker is part of the cigarette plug, looks like a big plug thing.

You are supplied with a cd which you have to decide the region to unlock. This allows you to download a more detailed map into the machine than just the Atlantic basemap. The supplied cartridge holds 32MB of info, so you can put about 2/3rds of Britain in. The other areas will be covered by the less detailed basemap.

You can use the cd programme in your computer to do a search, make a waypoint and upload to your navigator. Cables are supplied and you can power the navigator from your computer or laptop and plot your progress on a laptop in your car.

It isnt very good for Norway as detailed maps are not available yet.

Dont buy an American one cheap because the base map is not an Atlantic one and cant be changed.

I cant tell you how much it cost as it was part of a deal I was doing.

Cheers

Beastie

[Edited by Beastie - 12/15/2001 10:21:11 PM]
Old 17 December 2001, 04:51 PM
BigGT3Fan
Scooby Regular

http://www.zdnet.co.uk/reviews/rstor...111453,00.html

Reviewed on ZDNet.

Main thing seems to be it says it is not very loud, so if you have anything more than slight road noise you can miss instructions?

(Not speaking from experience, don't have one, am considering)

Alex