Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

PDA/GPS

Search this Thread

Old 16 May 2002, 01:26 PM
Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Dudes,

I want a sat-nav system for both me cars and the bike. I've been recommended the Garmin jobby but it's over 800 quid!

Next option would be an ipaq/GPS system which would com in at about 700 odd (even less if I buy Mr. Footlong's

Obviously the ipaq has the advantage of being able to do far more than the dedicated Garmin job but won't be as rugged.

Cheapy option would be to go for the Magellan module for my Handspring Visor - but this looks a bit poo.

Any suggestions/recommendations?
Old 16 May 2002, 04:46 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Wink

Yes, I suggest that you buy my Ipaq, before I Ebay it at the weekend courtesy of Pete Holt with a reserve price of £400 It really is complete and immaculate. I have a few Pocket PC links that have all sorts on, I think showing the GPS hardware available too
With Pocket Streets 2002 addon you might poss be able to GPS live into that too, but I haven't tried it.

Cheers,

Nick

[Edited by Mr Footlong - 5/16/2002 4:48:14 PM]
Old 16 May 2002, 04:53 PM
Stig
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I was thinking more of the iNS system which includes voice directions. It's more expensive - but there you go.

You do know that you can buy a brand-new one for 457?
Old 16 May 2002, 04:57 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Smile

It is virtually new, virtually unused, less than a month old, has a few extras and a £90 memory card Though. I will get £400 without problem on Ebay so don't worry mate
Old 16 May 2002, 04:58 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

http://www.mobileplanet.com/private/...0922&listing=1

Basic GPS-type thingie, but you probably saw this ages ago
1 of a fair few about, if memory serves along with the jacket-style jobbies....

[Edited by Mr Footlong - 5/16/2002 4:58:53 PM]

[Edited by Mr Footlong - 5/16/2002 4:59:42 PM]
Old 16 May 2002, 05:25 PM
Stig
Scooby Regular

Cool

Yeah. A GPS option is about 230 quid for a 3850 but they don't support voice. However, there's also the ipaq iNS 128i for £969 which gets you a 3850 and a voice supported GPS jacket. The jacket on it's own retails at 650 so it would cost even more to buy yours and add the jacket!

I'm sure you'll shift it on ebay though mate.
Old 17 May 2002, 09:36 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Mate, a little OT but wouldn't recommend setting a high reserve price in ebay. Go for something like 250 or 300 - there are so many buyers out there that it will definately get what it is 'worth'. High reserves just stop people bidding, and once they start it gets a bit addictive

Sold loads on ebay in the past
Old 17 May 2002, 10:54 AM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

I am going to say that the reserve is £400 in the ad That is all that I want for it, or do that buy it now malarkey. I just can't believe how many cheapskates are about to be honest that try to screw people out things. There is haggling and there is taking the mickey....

Cheers for the info.

Thanks,

Nick
Old 17 May 2002, 11:13 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Cool

What he really needs is one of my devices attached to the iPaq

From that he will get GPS positional reports to see where he is together with a GPRS modem so that he can browse the web

Or...

He can send back his position to the the wife!!!!

Seriously, any PDA can be attached (CE/Palm) together with the relevant software, to my GPRS/GSM device. You can even attach a lappy...

Old 17 May 2002, 01:08 PM
mark_h
Scooby Regular

Smile

I gave a Garmin GPS which cost me just over £100. It gives just enough information to follow waypoints and records tracks etc. And it's waterproof

Hook it up to a laptop running AutoRoute, and I have an in-car system too
Old 17 May 2002, 02:41 PM
kryten
Scooby Regular

Yeah - buy from Puff

Other than that. I've used both the Navman system and the Compaq iNS system.

The compaq iNS does indeed have voice guidance, but the most important point is it does auto-rerouting. So if you miss a turn or decide to go another way, it notices and recalcs the route.

However, it also has awful mapping with instructions to 'make a sharp right' in the middle of the M4! Also, has no motorway junctions listed and entering a location where you don't know the postcode (eg unnamed roads) can be a pain (though with the postcode is easy) - why can't I tap and hold on the map screen and say 'go here' .

They are charging a hideous amount for the 128Mb one (the only difference is the extra 64Mb on the CF card). So, buy the 64Mb one and a 256Mb CF card, onto which you can fit the entire UK and still have change plus a spare 64Mb for your digi camera!!

The Navman system does the whole of Europe but uses two separate packages for town to town and street level mapping. Last I heard the update version should be available in June sometime but until then the compaq is the better UK based system.

Just be aware that these systems shouldn't be followed blind. EG They may say 'turn right' when due to the roundabout config, you actually need to go straight on.